Help Desk

Undefined tags in day picker

Someone could help to fix this issue?
    http://www.funnytour.it/web/wp-content/calendar.png
    I see “undefined” tags everywhere in my Community Events calendar while I haven’t any problem with the date picker in my Events Calendar PRO.

Can you share a URL so I can see this first hand?

Hi flaviarusso,

Unfortunately it seems I need a username/password to view that form. What I’m thinking, though, is that this simply must be a conflict with another plugin or with your theme.

When you opened this thread you noted that you had tried both deactivating other plugins and switching to a default theme: did following these steps allow you to narrow this down either to a conflict with your theme or with a specific plugin?

Thanks!

Yes, I tried, and I excluded problems with other plugins. In twentyeleven there is no problem. In my plugin instead I have problems with the date picker only on the “Add” page of Community Events, no problems with the date picker in backend or in the events search engine of Events Calendar Pro.
    Does Community Events use a different date picker from Community Events Pro?
    If you think so, could you suggest how to use the same?

Thanks for your patience.

OK, so if it’s definitely specific to your theme we need to try and narrow down the cause.

Would it be possible to grant (temporary) access so I can view the community events submission form? I would only need a basic login in the first instance, not an administrative login.

This reply has been marked as private.

How strange.

Do you have any custom code inside that theme (perhaps added to functions.php) that localizes strings?

Barry, I noticed that in line 109 of your file
    the-events-calendar-community-events/views/hooks/form-meta.php
    there is an unknown value named “$EventStartDate”, could you tell me where is it defined? Then, in line 111 and 131 is specified this date format: “YYYY-MM-DD”. This is not corresponding to the italian date format (which is day/month/year) but if I change it in code, nothing happens in frontend.
    This misconfiguration probably causes even another issue: when a user sets a start/end date for his event and then I open it with my administrator rule in EventsCalendarPro, the date doesn’t appear anymore, as showed in this screenshots:
    http://www.funnytour.it/1_Community%20Events%20Date.png
    http://www.funnytour.it/2_The%20same%20event%20opened%20in%20ECP.png

I think we are near to solution, but I need your help to fix it.

Hi!

So with regards to the original issue with the date picker (and its “undefined” labels) I’m going to pull in another team member to assist with this. My hunch is that it’s a localization issue, but I’m not 100% sure – so please bear with me a little longer.

I noticed that in line 109 of your file
    the-events-calendar-community-events/views/hooks/form-meta.php
    there is an unknown value named “$EventStartDate”, could you tell me where is it defined?

Yes, it’s defined in TribeEvents::EventsChooserBox() (which lives in the-events-calendar/lib/the-events-calendar.class.php) and that in turn is simply pulling it from the relevant post meta field.

Then, in line 111 and 131 is specified this date format: “YYYY-MM-DD”. This is not corresponding to the italian date format (which is day/month/year) but if I change it in code, nothing happens in frontend.

So if you mean this code:

<span class="helper-text hide-if-js"><?php echo __( 'YYYY-MM-DD', 'tribe-events-community' ); ?></span>

Then no, changing that won’t impact the actual date format – that is simply a piece of helper text to tell people the expected format if entering it manually.

I hope that helps you with those specific questions – and again if you can wait a little longer I’m just going to try and get some assistance from another team member on this one.

If possible, can you also share your theme as based on your earlier comments it sounds like that has some bearing on the problem?

If you could share it in a private reply, ideally by linking to a .zip file hosted either with a service like droplr.com or else simply by uploading it to your WordPress site and sharing the link that way, that would be great.

Thanks!

Thank you: I’m going to share the theme (on our internal issue tracker) with one of our developers so he can make his assessment – as soon as he gets back to me I will update you, or may jump into the thread himself 🙂

Hi Barry, have you any news for me? I’m going to publish my site in few days. Thank you.

Hey there Flavia! Barry is out today, but I wanted to follow-up here. We’ve spent a good chunk of time looking into this and are pretty stumped as to what could be the cause. Would you mind letting me know what you’re using to translate the frontend of the site there? Is it a distinct plugin, or something else? If you could let us know so we can keep checking this out it’d be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rob, I don’t use any plugin to translate my site. Your latest update of Events Calendar Pro already has some italian translation files in the languages folder and I just fixed some errors in them with Poedit. Anyway I noticed that the date picker in Events Calendar Pro backend and in Community Event don’t use the same standard for the date, so I suppose that they cannot interface each other properly. Does it make sense to you? Thanks for your great support. I will keep waiting for good news. 🙂

Hi Flavia! Thanks for your patience on this issue. After doing some testing with the theme you provided, I’ve determined it’s the Midway theme that is causing the “undefined” names to show up in the datepicker on the submission form.

Typically we don’t provide assistance with 3rd party themes, but since you’ve waited so long, I wanted to help you out! If you put the following code at the bottom of your functions.php (before the ?> at the end), your datepicker should be fixed:

Best,
    Jessica (Modern Tribe Developer)

Thanks Jessica!

Flavia: we do appreciate your patience so far. Any chance the solution provided here gets you where you need to be? Please let me know if not, or if you have any further questions.

Hi Flavia, looks like Jessica’s sorted you out with a possible solution. As Rob noted please let us know if you have further problems on this front, otherwise I’ll wait a few days and then close out this thread.

Thanks!

Thanks you all, now the problem of undefined tags in date picker seems resolved, but now another date picker is appeared just above my Event Date and Time section, as showed in this image:
    http://www.funnytour.it/Schermata%2007-2456497%20alle%2021.21.02.png
    I’m a bit frustrated. Where do I wrong?

Could this also be the result of a conflict with your theme (if you switch to Twenty Twelve does the problem go away)?

As Jessica noted we don’t officially support third party themes, though we often make an effort anyway, but it may be you need to get help from someone more expert in working with your particular theme in order to work through this as expeditiously as possible.

Have you touched base with the theme author – assuming the theme is the ‘problem’ here – to seek support from them?

Hey Flavia,
    You are correct, my code snippet did cause that extra field to show up, and I didn’t notice it in my testing. However, you should be fine to just hide that field using css and display: none. It will not affect your event submissions.

Hi Jessica, ok I will hide it with css, thank you! So this is the last question about this thread: I still can’t change my date format using Community Events preferences… do you think there is a way to force this by code? In which file of my plugin can I search a solution?

Barry, because I really appreciate what you all have done for me I wish to help you in fixing some errors in the Italian translation of Tribe plugins, if you think it could be useful for the community.

Now, unfortunately, I must warn you that I’m going to open a new thread for another issued I can’t resolve.

No need to apologize, we much prefer if you create individual threads for separate problems and we can often deliver faster support that way, too.

It would be much appreciated if you could help with the Italian translation – our point of contact for that is Leah who you can email directly (pro at tri dot be) – all contributions are gratefully received 🙂

I still can’t change my date format using Community Events preferences… do you think there is a way to force this by code? In which file of my plugin can I search a solution?

Unfortunately this particular problem isn’t one we can help with. Although we’d love to assist this is very specific to your theme and it’s not a theme any of us are familiar with, making investigation extremely time consuming.

So although I’m sorry we can’t offer up much more on this front please don’t see that as the door being closed – for any other issues we will of course be happy to try and help.

Sorry, Barry, but the issue of the date format persists even with TwentyEleven, so I think in this case there shouldn’t be a correlation with my theme.

Hi Flavia, I think there might have been a misunderstanding on our end: since you have anyway created a new thread we’ll continue this there.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that we have been working diligently on a fix for this issue. Our next release (3.6) will be available soon and should correct this problem. Please keep an eye on your Plugins and Updates pages for a version update. If you are still having problems after updating, please start a new thread with the details and we can assist you.

Best,
    Leah