tribe-common

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO tribe-common

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Reine
    Participant

First, some specifics:

1. csrs.southregionstars.com
    2. Events Calendar: 4.1.4; Pro: 4.1.3
    3. Theme: Vantage Premium (SiteOrigin) (using an activated child-theme (vantage-child)

I have been trying to customize my calendar headings through override files in a tribe-events folder in my child theme but have not been successful. When troubleshooting, I noticed that when I tried to use “settings” from the calendar I received a “cannot load tribe-common” message. However I do get a green light when I go into settings from the dashboard. I’m not sure if this is important and if so how to retrieve it. Here’s what I’ve done thus far.

1. Activated twenty-sixteen and deactivated all plugins except for calendar plugins.
    2. Deleted my browser cache
    3. Checked for errors in the console.
    No change…
    4. Activated Vantage Premium theme — no change
    5. Went back to child-theme — no change
    6. Renamed tribe-events folder in child theme to tribe-events-bak — no change
    7. Deleted plugins and reinstalled them — no change
    8. Checked to see if I had tribe-common file in plug-in folder (yes).
    9. Tried the skeleton, theme, and tribe templates — no change

I’m at my wits end — what impact does “cannot load tribe-common” have and how can I load it.

Thank you!!

Reine S.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Reine,

Thank you for sharing all of those details and troubleshooting steps. That is very helpful.

what impact does “cannot load tribe-common” have and how can I load it.

Basically Tribe Common contains much of the necessary functions for our plugins to work together. If it does not load, the plugins won’t work.

Could we take a step back for a minute? You say you are trying to override the headers on certain views. Which views? Which files are you trying to override? If I know that I might be able to give you more specific instructions than our Themer’s Guide  and I think that might help here. You should not need to mess with the settings or Tribe Common folder to do overrides, so hopefully this will be easier than you’re thinking!

Cheers!

– Brook

Reine
    Participant

Thanks — not to worry – I haven’t touched the tribe-common files! I should also mention (as you can tell) I am not a designer. I have created websites using Dreamweaver and Concrete5 as a volunteer for our Special Olympics team, which probably makes me dangerous!

In my quest to get the calendar to be centered on my full-page-no-title template I copied the following to an override file set up in my child-theme. I eventually gave up on that and decided to come back to it.

• /the-events-calendar/src/views/month/content.php
    • /the-events-calendar/src/views/month/content.php
    • /the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Template/List.php
    • /the-events-calendar/src/views/list/content.php
    • /the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Template/Month.php

My other quest was to change the font and sizes for the headings in the events calendar. For my website I use a heading type called “Satisfy” which the events calendar picked up (I would guess as directed). I wanted to override the inherit code to change the titles to a sans-serif. The odd thing is I could do this through Inspect Element but I couldn’t find the file to make a permanent change. I believe I went through these files – removing any changes I made if it didn’t work. There were a number of css files, and I realize I should have asked which one I should use.

• /public_html/csrs/wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/resources/css/tribe-events-
    • /public_html/csrs/wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/resources/css/tribe-events-pro-full.min.css
    • /public_html/csrs/wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/resources/css/tribe-events-pro-theme.css
    • /public_html/csrs/wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/resources/css/tribe-events-pro-theme.min.css
    • /public_html/csrs/wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/resources/css/tribe-events-pro-full.css

Thanks again,

Reine

Brook
    Participant

I think I understand now. I really appreciate your detailing everything for me.

I actually don’t think you will need any theme overrides to do this. You have already selected the proper template in your settings, now the only thing left is to make your theme’s content container full width. A dash of CSS will do this on the Month, List, and Single event views:

.full-container #primary {
    float: none;
    width: 100%;
    }

My other quest was to change the font and sizes for the headings in the events calendar. For my website I use a heading type called “Satisfy” which the events calendar picked up (I would guess as directed). I wanted to override the inherit code to change the titles to a sans-serif. The odd thing is I could do this through Inspect Element but I couldn’t find the file to make a permanent change. I believe I went through these files – removing any changes I made if it didn’t work. There were a number of css files, and I realize I should have asked which one I should use.

If I were you I would not even both overriding those CSS files. The CSS files tend to recieve changes frequently. Everytime we update those in the plugin and you update, suddenly the CSS files you have in your theme are out of date. This usually does not cause a big problem, but maybe some minor oddities here and there.

Rather if I were you I would just insert CSS into your child theme like the above. If you are trying to override a rule like this:

#tribe-events-bar { width:100%; }

Then create a new rule in your CSS file that is more specific and it will take effect instead:

div#tribe-events-bar { width:100%; }

Simply adding the div element there made this rule more specific and now it takes precedence. No need to override our CSS files and thus no need to integrate their updates into your CSS each time you update the plugin.

Does that sound like it would work? Is that the route you would prefer to go now?

Cheers!

– Brook

Reine
    Participant

Thanks, Brook. I appreciate your guidance! I can add the CSS but I’m still not quite sure where.

1. The Month, List, and Single event views are php files. Can I add CSS to the end of those files?

2. One thing I find confusing is the multiple ways to reach a file. For example, if I am to add CSS to the end of a php file, which path do I take?

/the-events-calendar/src/Tribe/Template/Month.php
    /the-events-calendar/src/views/month/content.php

3. Or is there a CSS file for month, list and single event that I’m not finding?

4. Moving on, is the suggestion of #tribe-events-bar { width:100%; } meant as an alternative to above and if so, do you mean to add it directly to the CSS in the vantage-child theme or tribe-events CSS?

4. Finally, I’m still stumped on how to

Events for May 2016

. I’m concerned if I simply change the font of “h2” in the vantage-child theme, I’ll be changing the font of h2 everywhere. I did try adding this to the vantage-child theme but wasn’t successful.

.tribe-events-page-title {
    Font-family: arial;}

I’m also looking for the location to make a font change for: (I did try changing it directly in CSS but to no avail – so I put everything back to as it was)

Track and Field State

Track and Field State

Again, thanks so much. In the meantime, maybe I’ll start looking for another complementary font.

Reine

Anonymous Customer
    Participant

SAME PROBLEM HERE with the file not loading and my entire site looking like crap now. I think this is a bug in one of your updates.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Robert,

We would definitely like to help you with that. Would you mind opening a new topic dedicated to your issue? In particular if you will share you would share your system information that would be very helpful in this case. You can find the system info by going to WP Admin > Events > Settings, clicking on the “Help” tab, and scrolling down to the ‘System Information’ box.

Reine, sorry if I was unclear. I was saying you should put all of this CSS in your child themes CSS file. There is no need to mess with the tribe events CSS unless you really want to, but that just complicates things on your end if you do.

4. Moving on, is the suggestion of #tribe-events-bar { width:100%; } meant as an alternative to above and if so, do you mean to add it directly to the CSS in the vantage-child theme or tribe-events CSS?

Exactly. That CSS I shared will prevent you from needing to create a theme override. Even if you did create a theme override you will still need to run the CSS I shared, so there really is no need for an override at all.

I’m concerned if I simply change the font of “h2” in the vantage-child theme, I’ll be changing the font of h2 everywhere. I did try adding this to the vantage-child theme but wasn’t successful.

For sure. You can just create a very specific CSS rule to adjust that heading instead of affecting h2s everywhere. This one ought to do it:

.entry-content h2.tribe-events-page-title { font-family: arial; }

Again put that in your theme’s CSS file.

Is all that starting to make more sense?

Cheers!

– Brook

Reine
    Participant

All right!

I’ve been able to change the font (thank you, thank you!); however the calendar still does not run across the page. (I’m hopefully offering you a link to my css in case you notice a conflict.) I do have full page width checked for the page itself and in the calendar settings.

I’m still not able to load “tribe common” if that could be a cause of conflict.

Also, I went to change the start day for calendar and went to “general” in the settings as directed by the themer’s guide. I didn’t see the option, though. I want to change the calendar from Monday to start on Sunday.

Brook, again my deepest appreciation for your patience and help. If there’s anyone to whom I should pass the word just give an an email and I will laud your service.

Reine

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Reine,

The Tribe-Common issue is a bug in our plugin right now (that was recently discovered). If you try going to  the Event Settings page from the WP Admin toolbar menu, the one that shows on the front end, you will get this error. Try visiting WP Admin first, and in the left hand column clicking through to the settings. That will bypass the common error.

Have you tried inserting this CSS to make the page full width yet?

.full-container #primary {
    float: none;
    width: 100%;
    }

When I visit your site I am not seeing that CSS loaded, so it will still only be 3/4s width.

Brook, again my deepest appreciation for your patience and help. If there’s anyone to whom I should pass the word just give an an email and I will laud your service.

I appreciate this very much but that is not at all necessary, just doing my job. 🙂

I am out of the office tomorrow, but one of my coworkers will assist you further if needed.

Cheers!

– Brook

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘tribe-common’ is closed to new replies.