Trash Series is missing

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Trash Series is missing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

A client reported that when they deleted a recurring event with the ‘Trash’ option, the whole event series was deleted (moved to trash):

Edit All | Edit Single | Edit Upcoming | Trash | View

When the user clicked ‘Trash’, they were not given an option to delete a single or series of events. Fortunately, the event Trash list had a ‘Restore Series’ option that saved the day.

When I tried to reproduce this bad behaviour, only one event was removed. Shouldn’t there be a ‘Trash Series’ option when you hover over the event title – similar to Edit All.

I don’t know if this behaviour started before or after the 3.7 update.

Thanks for all suggestions on this matter.

Andrew
    Participant

After a bit more investigation, I found that ‘Trash Series’ only appears when you hover over the ‘first’ event in a series. For all others in a series, ‘Trash’ shows on hover over event.

This is somewhat annoying because you must find the first event in series to ‘Trash Series’. And there is no ‘Trash’ option to remove just the ‘first’ event in a series.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Andrew,

Thanks for updating the topic. I am glad you feel free to bring out pain points like this, it is very helpful to us when crafting the UI.

To offer some insight on why that option is not there, and I believe has been missing since 3.4: We are trying to strike a balance between putting frequently options in conspicuous locations, and cluttering the UI. In this case Trash Series does not seem to be used as often, and it was thus decided it did not merit a place in the rollover quick actions. You can relatively quickly trash an event series by click “Edit Series”, the clicking “Move to Trash”.  Or the first event, by clicking Edit Single > Move to Trash.

Now that you know there is a way to trash the first event, or the entire series, in two clicks, what do you think? It is not as discoverable as I would like. If you feel it can be improved, mind sharing how?

Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks!

– Brook

Andrew
    Participant

Hi Brook,

Thanks for sharing the rational for the event list hover options. Indeed, users can be overwhelmed by too many UI options. Perhaps for the sake of usability and consistency, the ‘Trash’ and ‘Trash Series’ hover options could be removed, allowing for the two-click method you described.

I also like the dialog method that was employed by an older ECP version. So when the ‘Trash’ option is clicked, a dialog shows the ‘all’ or ‘just one’ option.

Please consider either of these to prevent users from unknowingly removing a ‘series’ with the ‘Trash’ option when their intention was to trash just one event.

-Cheers

btw, I will inform our users about the two-click method for removing events.

Brook
    Participant

Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing! I will pass that along when the topic comes back up and we can discuss it.

By the way, if you have a minute or two, we would love it if you could write a few words about the plugin here. Happy developing!

– Brook

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Trash Series is missing’ is closed to new replies.