Translations

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Translations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Peri
    Participant

Hi there!

I was wondering how can I, or must you, change the default translation file name? By default the afrikaans translation ends in .af.mo or af.po, but it must be af_ZA.mo and af_ZA.po. If the defaults can be changed to that, then the error there was with the translations will be gone. When I did a plugin update now all the translations were gone, but when I went into the files i realized it’s because the default file is named incorrectly, different than the core wordpress translation file. When I went into the plugins’ files the update changed the files back to only af.mo and af.po. Not sure if this is something that can be changed.

George
    Participant

This reply is private.

Mr. Peri
    Participant

I see what you mean. af is for Afrikaans and ZA is our country code.
    The translations didn’t work until I changed all the af.po and af.mo files to af_ZA. I don’t know why…
    On the Locotranslate plugin the wordpress files are also af_ZA.
    Maybe just because I renamed it? When I was struggling with this the 1st time I tried so many different hings, I can’t remember if I downloaded it af_ZA or if I renamed it to that.

The last wordpress updated the af_ZA file so I thought that was the core language file.

THANK YOU so much for the coupon! I bought another set of calendar and event tickets 2 weeks ago 🙂

George
    Participant

This reply is private.

Mr. Peri
    Participant

No worries. I was just asking form your side, but obviously we can’t change the entire wordpress.org structure 🙂
    When I 1st did translations on your plugin specifically, I did save them as .af only. On the Locotranslate plugin (do you know it?) it then only made a green block with the letters “af” in it. The moment I renamed it to af_ZA it took the green block away and actually put our country flag in there and changed the name to Afrikaans(South Africa). So technically af_ZA is the correct naming. Not sure why WordPress does only af then. Perhaps it’s simply because that is how the very 1st translators saved it and since Afrikaans is really not such a big group of people doing sites on the web in that Lagrange it never was an issue before. It would just really be easier for future updates if nrom could be picked.

Any way. Thanks for the feedback! still loving your guys’s prompt responses. Not like woocommerce who had no support what so ever for a week and half because of some annual meeting thing and they couldn’t spare one meager support guy to be on stand by in case of emergency, and in that time a another client of ours’ site bombed out with the woocommerce shipping zones. I nearly messaged you guys and asked for help simply because you reply so amazingly 😉

George
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words about our support efforts, Mr. Peri—it means a lot! The WooCommerce team usually provides great support, so I’m not sure what happened there. I wish you the best of luck with those issues—especially the client site one!

As for the issues with the locale, I think your insights here are quite accurate:

So technically af_ZA is the correct naming. Not sure why WordPress does only af then. Perhaps it’s simply because that is how the very 1st translators saved it and since Afrikaans is really not such a big group of people doing sites on the web in that Lagrange it never was an issue before. It would just really be easier for future updates if nrom could be picked.

The proper locale is definitely worth finding out, and I will be bringing this up on our next team meeting. We have some folks on our team who know translations and locales very well, and might have some insights into the correct locale here or at least have some insights into how we can find out—and how we can make a change here!

I’m sorry that this thread didn’t lead to a neat resolution of those concerns, but stay tuned to our plugin updates—any changes on this front will surely be noted in the changelogs of plugin updates. You can stay tuned to http://theeventscalendar.com/blog, where we post release notes, if you’d like—or just wait for the updates to arrive in your wp-admin! 😀

Cheers and best of luck with your projects. If other questions or issues arise, open a new support thread any time.

— George

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Translations’ is closed to new replies.