Today's event disappears when edit a recurring event.

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Today's event disappears when edit a recurring event.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Participant

I did this on THURSDAY 28 June, I’m told it happens on other days:

1. Create a recurring event: THURSDAYS weekly (from two Thursdays ago for the next two years.)

2. Edit TODAY’s version from the admin (June 28). Click “update”. From prompt choose “future events” instead of “just this occurence”.

3. Today’s event totally disappears! Help!

Joyce Grace

Hello Lauren, can you confirm you are using the latest version of all our plugins and add-ons?

What part of the recurring event are you editing?

Also, is it that it is disappearing, or do you think it is moving to the end of the list? Have you tried sorting the events by date, ascending and descending to see if you can find it that way? Two years can produce a really long list of events, so I’m just making sure.

Lauren
    Participant

Hi,

Yes, after updating to the latest version we still get the problem. It also happens when we edit an older date, not just today’s (more than one instance can dissappear then). Future events it seems to do a better job with.

They are gone from the system entirely. We only edit the body, not the title or anything else.

While I’m unlikely to want to edit a past event I do need to be able to edit today’s event, and be sure that the system is robust.

Please help. Are you saying this doesn’t happen on your own installation?

Rob

Hi Lauren. Thanks for the follow-up; Joyce is out for the next week or so, and as a result I wanted to step in and help get this resolved for you. My apologies for your inconvenience so far.

On my end, with The Events Calendar 2.0.8 + Events Calendar PRO 2.0.8, I was unable to recreate this. Here’s what I did:

1. Set up an event for tomorrow, July 19 (Thursday).
    2. Set that to recur every Thursday until the same approximate week 2 years from tomorrow.
    3. Upon publishing and the page updating, my permalink for the first event in the series was as follows: http://localhost/robssite/event/rob-sets-a-recurring-event/2012-07-19.
    4. When I update (say, the description) for that entry and update, the permalink remains the same: http://localhost/robssite/event/rob-sets-a-recurring-event/2012-07-19.. When I click the “View” button it takes me through to the frontend as expected.

How are you doing step 4? After saving a change to a given entry, it should refresh and dump you back into the same entry. Is it doing something different for you, ie redirecting you back to the broader admin list? Let me know if so and I’ll try to provide some additional steps to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your patience.

Lauren
    Participant

Hi Rob,

Could you try editing the body of an old recurring event and see if it stays there after it’s updated for all future occurences?

Also, the permalink changes for me when I edit an event (I edit either title-only or body-only.

Joyce Grace

Hi Lauren,
    Can you confirm you are using the latest version of WordPress and have your permalinks set up to “postname”? Even if they are already, can you try re-saving the permalinks?

Can you also link to your site for us?

Lauren
    Participant

Hi Joyce,

I have asked for our WordPress installation to be updated but I’m not sure how one URL would work seeing as there are effectively two different events once we’ve edited all the subsequent events: the earlier ones would show different content to the later ones – or am I missing something? Perhaps you pass the date in GET variables?

I will follow up once WordPress is updated but could you please clarify on the above?

I can’t post a public link to our dev site but I could email someone if you provide me with a contact. Thanks.

Rob

Hi there Lauren: just to follow-up on the question you’d asked me above…the same does seem to happen with past events in the recurrence; I can update all future events, those changes are applied and the event I was editing remains in place.

If you want to email me a set of admin credentials to the dev site (pro /a tri.be) with the understanding that I’m going to attempt only what you are telling me there – and that we unfortunately can’t be held responsible if anything goes awry as a result. While I don’t expect that to happen you may want to backup beforehand to be safe.

Lauren
    Participant

Hi,
    I have a sneaky feeling this may be (in part) a timezone issue. Here in New Zealand it’s the morning of the 25th but when I create a new event the default start date is the 24th – first clue.

Further to that, at this time of day I don’t get the error first stated for a recurring event starting two weeks ago today (Wednesday) and recurring weekly over the next month when I edit today’s event and all future ones. But I DO get the error when I do the same, with the same structure, but for yesterday (Tuesdays).

BUT it’s not just a timezone thing, when I do the same thing for Sunday 22nd and the same structure, I get the error (22nd disappears). So again, it seems like only editing future events will work and editing older ones will not. I’ll drop you an email so you can take a look.

Thanks.

Rob

Hey Lauren. Thanks for the update; just sent over an email to this effect as well, but if you can send me a set of admin creds here I can take a look for you this afternoon. Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Today's event disappears when edit a recurring event.’ is closed to new replies.