Tickets box disappears on update to 4.5.2

Home Forums Ticket Products Event Tickets Plus Tickets box disappears on update to 4.5.2

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kamran Khanalvi
    Participant

Hi TEC,

When I update Event Tickets and Event Tickets Plus from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2, the entire tickets box disappears.

For now, I have had to revert back to 4.5.1.

Please note, the tickets box disappears after I update Event Tickets plugin.

Please also note that the previous plugin update also destroyed my entire site. It took a whole day to get it up and running again. So I’m not sure what’s going on. Every time I update TEC, I am really scared it will destroy my site, as I’m not a developer, hopefully you can see where I’m coming from on this.

Please help as this is urgent!

Thanks,
    Kam

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Kam, welcome back!

Thanks for reaching out! I’m really sorry about the issues you are experiencing when updating our plugins.

We are doing our best to make the update process as seamless as possible. However, due to the multitude of themes and plugins out there it is impossible to account for every scenario.

This is why we recommend our users to have a test or development site and test the plugin updates there first, in order not to break the live site. If the updates seem to work on the test site, then they can be applied to the live site as well. It’s also recommended to have a full backup of your files and your database before doing any major changes (including updates) to your live website.

This being said, I’d be happy to help you troubleshoot the issue.

The best would be if you had a test site available, an exact copy of your live site, so we can work without disturbing the traffic on your live site.

If you don’t mind working on your live site, that’s also possible. In this case please create a backup before doing anything.

You say that when you update to the latest version of ET and ET+, then the ticket form disappears. Are you experiencing the same when you switch over to a default theme like twentyseventeen?

Do you have any customizations or template overrides in place? Customizations are usually in the functions.php file of your theme. Template overrides can be found in the following folder: wp-content/themes/{your-theme-folder}/tribe-events

Looking forward to helping you fix this.

Cheers,
    Andras

Kamran Khanalvi
    Participant

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ve had a little play around and still no luck.

The issue is the ET+ update to 4.5.2. When I update the ticket box completely disappears.

The only customizations I have is in my Child PHP theme:

/*
     * TO MOVE THE TICKET FORM UNCOMMENT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING BY REMOVING THE //
     */
    /*
     * Uncomment to Move Ticket Form Below Related Events
     */
    //tribe_etp_move_tickets_purchase_form( 'tribe_events_single_event_after_the_meta', 20 );
    /*
     * Uncomment to Move Ticket Form Below the Event Description
     */
    //tribe_etp_move_tickets_purchase_form( 'tribe_events_single_event_after_the_content', 5 );
    /*
     * Uncomment to Move Ticket Form Above the Event Description
     */
    tribe_etp_move_tickets_purchase_form( 'tribe_events_single_event_before_the_content' );

This is to move the ticket box above the description.

When I remove this code from my Child PHP, all of the text description, map, ticket box, and related events completely disappear (see image 1)

When I leave this code in, the page is fine, however the ticket box disappears and so does the map (see image 2).

Currently I have 4.5.2 Event Tickets and 4.5.1 Event Ticket Plus activated.

What are your suggestions?

I do not have a test site yet, and I also haven’t tested on twentyseventeen. I am not a developer so doing this is quite scary as don’t want to break the site.

Thanks,
    Kam

Kamran Khanalvi
    Participant

I also have this code in my child theme bridge:

/*
     * Moves the front-end ticket purchase form, accepts WP action/hook and optional hook priority
     * @param $ticket_location_action WP Action/hook to display the ticket form at
     * @param $ticket_location_priority Priority for the WP Action
     */
    function tribe_etp_move_tickets_purchase_form ( $ticket_location_action, $ticket_location_priority = 10 ) {
        if ( ! class_exists( 'Tribe__Tickets__Tickets') ) return;
        $etp_classes = array(
            'Easy_Digital_Downloads' =>     'Tribe__Tickets_Plus__Commerce__EDD__Main',
            'ShoppVersion' =>               'Tribe__Tickets_Plus__Commerce__Shopp__Main',
            'WP_eCommerce' =>               'Tribe__Tickets_Plus__Commerce__WPEC__Main',
            'Woocommerce' =>                'Tribe__Tickets_Plus__Commerce__WooCommerce__Main',
            'Tribe__Tickets__Tickets' =>    'Tribe__Tickets__RSVP',
        );
        foreach ( $etp_classes as  $ecommerce_class => $ticket_class) {
            if ( ! class_exists( $ecommerce_class ) || ! class_exists( $ticket_class ) ) continue;
            $form_display_function = array( $ticket_class::get_instance(), 'front_end_tickets_form' );
            if ( has_action ( 'tribe_events_single_event_after_the_meta', $form_display_function ) ) {
                remove_action( 'tribe_events_single_event_after_the_meta', $form_display_function, 5 );
                add_action( $ticket_location_action, $form_display_function, $ticket_location_priority );
            }
        }
    }

However when I remove this, the entire site goes down.

Kam

Kamran Khanalvi
    Participant

And finally…

Even with ALL of this code removed from my Child Theme, the map, related events, and ticket box still don’t show.

See image 3 attached.

Thanks!!
    Kam

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Kam,

Thanks for sharing all that with me.

This looks like a complicated case with a lot of customization, so a lot of things could be happening… I’ll try to help you get this fixed as best as I can.

I am not a developer so doing this is quite scary as don’t want to break the site.

I fully understand this πŸ™‚ I’ve been there too. Plenty of things can be done to ensure nothing breaks long term and it’s quite easy to be safe.

Always have a backup to go back to. There are a number of good backup plugins available, both free and pay-for. UpdraftPlus is a pretty popular free one and does what is needed.

So in case something breaks or you cannot undo, you can restore the backup.

I do not have a test site yet…

It is as easy as having a live website. πŸ™‚ Basically you would need to create a copy of your current site either under a new domain or under a subdomain. I believe your hosting provider should be able to help you with that, and once you have a test site then you will definitely not have anything to be afraid of.

Also, there are a couple plugins out there which can help you create a copy of your site / migrate your site. These are usually not free though, but in my experience worth every penny. UpdraftPlus has an extension, or another popular backup & migrate plugin in BackupBuddy.

…I also haven’t tested on twentyseventeen

Nothing really to be afraid of here. When you switch themes your theme settings are saved and will not get lost, so when you switch back you will get back whatever you had before. (And in case something would not, then you already have a backup to go back to. πŸ˜‰ But usually this doesn’t happen.)

If you manage to test the effect with twentyseventeen then we might be able to narrow down the issue: whether it is coming from your theme / customization or not.

However when I remove this, the entire site goes down.

After much digging and testing I have found the issue with 4.5.2. There is a typo in the code, which will likely be corrected in the upcoming maintenance release. Until then you can just stick to 4.5.1.

Also note that if you just want to move the ticket fields above the description, you can do that now without any code. You can do that under Events > Settings > Tickets tab > Ticket settings section > Location of tickets form. I would recommend rather using this option and removing the custom code from your theme.

So hang in there, fix is on the way. πŸ™‚

Cheers,
    Andras

Kamran Khanalvi
    Participant

Hi Andreas,

This is really great – thanks so much!

I just have a few questions/comments:

1) Making a test site sounds pretty simple then. I can definitely do this. However will I not need to have duplicate licenses for plugins etc?

2) I make back ups of the site weekly, however I have just set up UpdraftPlus as this might be easier. Thanks!

3) I have now removed all the custom code as per your suggestion, and moved the ticket box above the description. Thanks!

4) I will stick to 4.5.1 for now then. How will I know when 4.5.3 is released? As currently my WordPress says: “There is a new version of Event Tickets Plus available. Update now to version 4.5.2.” If this makes sense?

Thanks so much! This is the best support ever πŸ™‚

Kamey

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Kamey,

Duplicate licenses

You can absolutely use One License for Live and Dev Sites. And this article on Moving Your License Keys might be helpful as well.

I have just set up UpdraftPlus as this might be easier.

You’re welcome! I hope it will work out for you. πŸ™‚

How will I know when 4.5.3 is released?

The message you see about the 4.5.2 update is quite normal. Just ignore it for now.

Once 4.5.3 is released – should come later this week – then the update message will change to 4.5.3.

Also, this thread is marked in the bugticket of the issue, so once the fix is released a team member will drop a note here for you. If you have email replies checked, then you’ll get a notification in your inbox as well.

Cheers,
    Andras

Victor
    Keymaster

Hello Kamey!

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release (for the Week of 24 July 2017) is out, including a fix for this issue πŸ™‚

Find out more about this release β†’ https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-week-24-july-2017/

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site.

Best,
    Victor

Kamran Khanalvi
    Participant

Hi TEC,

I have updated events tickets plus to 4.5.3 and the tickets box still disappears.

The rest of the page is fine.

I have had to revert to 4.5.1. Which means I have 4.5.3 events tickets and 4.5.1 events tickets plus, which is not very good I’m guessing.

Please help!

Kam

Kamran Khanalvi
    Participant

Hi TEC,

This is now working.

After I updated:

The Events Calendar 4.5.8 to 4.5.9

The Events Calendar PRO 4.4.14 to 4.4.15

I then tried to update Event Tickets Plus to 4.5.3 and it’s now working.

So I’m not sure what’s up with that, but the main thing is that it’s now working πŸ™‚

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Kam

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Kam,

Happy to hear the issue is solved!

Since this is marked resolved I am going to close this ticket, but if you need anything else related to this topic or another please post a new one in the forum and we will be happy to help you out.

Cheers,
    Andras

PS: If you like our plugins, and you didn’t yet do so πŸ™‚ we would be happy to receive a review in the wordpress.org repository. Thanks!
    https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/the-events-calendar/reviews/
    https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/event-tickets/reviews/

PS2: We’d be also grateful if you would give us feedback on your satisfaction with support. Just click on one of the classy looking emojis below. πŸ™‚ If you can spare a few words, that’s even better. Doublethanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Tickets box disappears on update to 4.5.2’ is closed to new replies.