Ticketing Solution for Recurring Online Courses

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Ticketing Solution for Recurring Online Courses

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dylan

Background

We run team-based courses online for 2-10 teams at a time, with 3-5 users per team.

Each user accesses their course (“takes a seat at the virtual table”) by clicking on a unique URL link, which we create on a backend app written in Ruby on Rails.

We currently email these links manually, but we’re looking for a plugin that will let us distribute them automatically through our frontend WordPress website.

We’ve come across several ticketing or event plugins, but I’m not able to work out how well they could cooperate with our Ruby app on the backend. Our developer could build an API on the backend Ruby app, but the author of the plugin would need to write a PHP program on the WP site to connect the API to the Ruby app.

Each of our courses is self-paced so that users can step in and out of the course throughout an access period of 30 days. Within this access period, the actual duration of the courses varies; completing a course can take anywhere between 1 and 20 hours.

To create each user’s link, admin follows these 6 steps:

1) Select the course, e.g., Negotiation Basics

2) Create a team, e.g., Team 1

3) Create users, e.g., User A, User B, User C and so on.

4) Set the start date and time

5) Copy and paste each URL link from a CSV sheet, and email each one to the respective user (e.g., Team 1-User A, Team 1-User B and so on).

6) Push the Start button, which gives all users access to the course for 30 days

The Mission

Whatever solution we come up with, it needs to allocate tickets in a way that each team has 3-5 users. As a non-technical person, the best idea I can imagine would be something like the following:

We set a ‘24-hour window’ for buying tickets that starts every day 00:00 and finishes at 23:59. Within that window, the user buys a seat and gets a receipt with a message like “We will send your access link within 24 hours.” As soon as the window closes at 23:59, the frontend tells the backend “I need X teams with Y users, and 1 team with Z users”.

It should arrive at the above request by following these rules: “Teams should have 5 users whenever possible. When 5 isn’t possible, they should have 4. When 4 isn’t possible, they should have 3. When 3 isn’t possible, they should have 2. If only 1 user buys a ticket, he/she should get a message like Your team consists of 1 user.”

Upon receiving this request, the backend should provide the access links for the specified number of teams and users. Currently, I just do this manually. Worst case, I could look at the orders purchased on the frontend, and manually create the links and email them to the users – but I really want to automate this if at all possible! Many thanks in advance.

George
    Participant

Hey Dylan,

Thanks for reaching out, and for your interest in our plugins! I’m sorry to bear the news that our plugins unfortunately would not facilitate all of the automated functionality you describe here–there are components of the functionality you need that our plugins would do, like for example the actual selling of tickets and the ability to limit sales to a 24-hour window and such.

But beyond that, much of what you list here in your post would require extensive custom coding to achieve 🙁

Sorry to disappoint, Dylan. Please let me know what you think or if there’s anything else I can try to help with!

Sincerely,
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Ticketing Solution for Recurring Online Courses’ is closed to new replies.