Thousands of URLs for every future date possible auto generated. Possible bug?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Thousands of URLs for every future date possible auto generated. Possible bug?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Vincent
    Participant

Thanks Jonah. Can you please confirm what the code is to add? The code on github doesn’t look correct and gives me an error. Do I just copy and paste the entire code into the bottom of my functions.php? For reference:

displaying == ‘day’ )
    echo ”;
    }

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

If you are getting an error it’s probably because you don’t need to paste in the opening PHP tag. Try just adding this at the bottom of your functions.php file:

if (class_exists( 'TribeEvents' ) )
    add_action('wp_head','tribe_dont_index_day_views');

function tribe_dont_index_day_views() {
    $tribe_ecp = TribeEvents::instance();
    if( $tribe_ecp->displaying == 'day' )
    echo '';
    }

– Jonah

Jamie
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’ve tried the above nofollow code in the functions.php file which works for a single day view, but it doesn’t resolve the issue on calendar display pages: “http://url.com/events/2126-08” for instance. This is the majority of the “Possible outages” errors that Google Webmaster Tools keeps notifying me about. Does $tribe_ecp->displaying have a parameter that includes this calendar month view?

Also, does the default setting need “follow” on these types of pages? I assume that’s how Google arrived at August of 2126 in the first place.

Thanks, Jamie

Julien
    Participant

It could be great if this bug would be fixed in next release. My website has more than 18 000 pages indexed ! This is very bad for my SEO !

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks Jonah. I added this to my functions.php. How can I know if it’s working? I assumed I would see a robots no-index meta tag in the html now, but didn’t see one. Is that what I should be looking for?

Rob

Julien: we are still working out the correct “one-size-fits-all” fix for this, but should have it in 2.0.9. The 2.0.8 release that’s coming out this week was under code-freeze before we got to this point so it regretably will not have the fix.

Vincent: how long ago did you add the code?

Vincent
    Participant

I added the code on July 6th, shortly before I posted that comment. I have noticed a slow decrease in soft-404’s in webmaster tools, but was hoping to be able to confirm for myself if the code is working (by looking in the html for a no-index tag or something).

Thanks,
    Vince

Rob

Hey Vincent. Ah, thanks for confirming. At this point unfortunately the best way would just be to check in the decrease in 404s over time…

Simon
    Participant

I too am seeing this error with a massive spike in soft 404s in GWT. I don’t have time to mess around so I’ve had to disallow /events/ in robots.txt. This is obviously a less-than-ideal solution.

Rob

Hey Simon. Thanks for confirming here; this is a bit outside my area of expertise but let me see if our dev Paul – who has been dealing with a related issue on the WordPress.org forum – could offer up anything here. Appreciate your patience so far.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Thousands of URLs for every future date possible auto generated. Possible bug?’ is closed to new replies.