Thousands and thousand of events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Thousands and thousand of events

• This topic has 12 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Josh.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    James Ockelford
    Participant

The site and events calendar has been running incredibly slowly. Today we noticed there are over 33,000 events – this accounts for the slowness. Is there any way to remove the majority of these quickly? It is very odd. Any help would be so appreciated as the clients is annoyed and I’m in the dark on this.

James Ockelford
    Participant

To clarify – there are lots and lots of the same event on the same date appearing in events. Deleting them 20 at a time will take days. Please advise.

Josh
    Participant

Hello refold,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

This is definitely a strange issue to be having. Were there any changes that were made to the site (or hosting) prior to these events getting randomly created (ex. switching theme, adding new plugins etc.)? Do you recall anything strange that may have happened prior when editing the site (such as stalling of the site when creating an event or going to a blank white screen when trying to add an event)?

Hopefully we can narrow in on what caused that many events to be created and ensure it doesn’t happen again.

In the meantime, you can try this housekeeping plugin on the WordPress.org repository to see if it helps to delete the old events in bulk.

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to give you a direct response however I hope this was able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks!

James Ockelford
    Participant

I’ve not noticed anything in particular happen. The site (and dashboard) are now running incredibly slowly. I only have a few events to be on the site now so I was wondering is there a way to clear all events out? I tried deleting the Events calendar and ECpro and reinstalling but all the events are still there.

Thanks for recommending the housekeeping plugin – however this is not helping the situation at the moment because large amount of events are all in June 2016 it seems.
    Please help if you can.

James Ockelford
    Participant

To add (and I don’t know if this is relevant) but I have tried to “Edit all” but when I press this nothing happens – it stays on the same page.

Josh
    Participant

Hello refold,

Thanks for following up with us!

When pressing “Edit All” button ( I assume there are many recurring events that were created? ) does the browser just spin trying to load that event or does it not do anything at all?

One approach you could take to bulk edit from the admin would be to increase the number of posts that display within the admin table loop. You could increase it to 1,000 (or more) and then do the bulk delete. Here are some tips to help in increasing the number of posts displayed.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

James Ockelford
    Participant

Hi Josh, thanks for replying

When pressing edit all I can see the events. All looks normal except for the very large amount events – there are hundreds (at least) of the same recurring event starting on the same day. I have tried bulk delete but it brings up errors when it’s deleting more than 20 or so. I also tried Bulk Delete plugin – which is more effective at removing post but it’s still thing a very long time. It will take days of deleting to get these events out. I could do with another solution if there is one to be had.

Josh
    Participant

Hello refold,

To make sure we’re talking about the same link, this is the “Edit All” button that you’re clicking for recurring events? If so, when looking at the single view, you can delete and it should delete all occurrences of that recurring event. Are you able to get to the single view or is this where it does nothing?

The issue with bulk deletion sounds like you may have a hosting or other plugin conflict since this is a functionality built in with WordPress. By chance, have you had a chance to check out our Testing for Conflicts procedures to see if any of those steps resolve the issues you’re noticing on the backend of your site?

Finally, for clarification as well, are you using the latest version (3.7) of both our Event Calendar core plugin as well as the Pro version?

Thanks!

James Ockelford
    Participant

Yes, apologies… I can see all the events but when I press an “edit all” button (as you showed) on a recurring event it tries to load something but it stays on the same page (basic nothing happens). To clarify, I am using the latest Event Calendar plugin and pro version. Thanks for your time!

Josh
    Participant

Hello refold,

How about the other elements of the Testing for Conflicts procedures? Have you tried deactivating the plugins or switching to a default theme to see if the “Edit All” link or bulk deletion work when everything is disabled?

Thanks!

crash6711
    Participant

What was the outcome of this? I’m having the same problem and have found this problem on many many many support tickets but they almost all end the same, like this one, just blank with no resolution 🙁 I’m writing this as the tribe “duplicate cleanup plugin” is running that I found here at https://theeventscalendar.com/release-events-calendar-pro-3-5-2-hotfix/
    My client said their Events Plugin wasn’t working well, and when I checked it out, there are over 122,000 events. It’s hard to even look through them to find the problem because the response time every time i click something is over a minute. I have found that some of the events were set to recur forever a while back, and after updating the plugin, they now spawned into multiple duplicates. the option to delete all is no longer present, and when i try to “edit all”, it usually won’t go to the edit event page, it just reloads the events listing.

Josh
    Participant

Hello crash6711,

Thanks for reaching out to us! It’s usually best to open a new support ticket even if the issue seems similar to an existing ticket. This will ensure that we’re able to get you a response as quickly as possible.

I apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused. As an initial question, was there any update once you completed the duplicate cleanup available with the linked plugin?

Thanks!

Josh
    Participant

Hey refold,

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you on this thread.

I’ll go ahead and close this thread for now. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to open a new one.

Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Thousands and thousand of events’ is closed to new replies.