This Week Widget potential issue?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO This Week Widget potential issue?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Steven W
    Participant

Actually, it occurred to me that I sent this to the wrong place originally ([email protected]), so I’m re-posting here so that it’s documented per y’all’s preference.

I stumbled on what may be an issue with the new This Week Widget last night. We’re displaying a full-page calendar on one page of our website. It worked beautifully before yesterday’s upgrade and still does, for the most part (great job, by the way!) except that when the user clicks over to “View As Week” (the code for which I’m assuming is at least loosely connected to the This Week Widget), some of the events are blank. Here is a “before” shot of a specific week in 2016: http://screencast.com/t/FMmLl80D3Uvv. And here is the “after” shot: http://screencast.com/t/g6RQ5EPmuj. The blank spaces are clickable, but when the user hovers over certain ones, some of the information is obscured. Here’s a video of that behavior: http://screencast.com/t/u7bd332uPPH. The events in red — the ones that aren’t working properly — are set up as individual, one-day events. The ones that appear as they should (blue background) are recurring events. Don’t know if that helps track this down or not, but there it is. Oh, and note the the before/after sequence is of the same exact period of time, with the same exact data.

I haven’t done any of the deactivation/reversion stuff because it seemed to me pretty specifically related to the upgrade — but I’ll go through all that if you think it’ll help.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for bring this up.

The This Week coding although took some inspiration from the Week view is completely separate.

Do you have a link to where this is happening?

It is hard to know the issue without seeing the source code.

Thanks

Steven W
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

We still have a policy of not accessing customer sites.

It almost looks like a css issue.

If I can look at it without an account I can try to help out.

Let me know.

Thanks

Steven W
    Participant

This reply is private.

Steven W
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

I am at WordCamp US through the weekend and would be able to take a look on Monday.

I would not recommend updating your live site until this can be resolved.

Also, please bring up the issue with the Category Calendar to the support forum for that plugin on WordPress.org so the developer can resolve it.

Thanks

Steven W
    Participant

Just so you’re in the loop, I’ve been exchanging emails with Andy Fragen of the-events-calendar-category-colors fame on GitHub and he seems (perhaps) to have stumbled on something in the TEC JS templating… The thread is at: https://github.com/afragen/the-events-calendar-category-colors/issues/66

Andy Fragen

Brian, if you take a peak at the issue in GitHub you can see what we’ve figured out.

1. There were some issues with Category Colors that have been fixed in v4.4.2, now released.

2. The issue is primarily with how the tooltip displays in week view.

3. The tooltip displays correctly in month view.

If there’s any good I can do let me know.

Andy Fragen

Brian, if you take a peak at the issue in GitHub you can see what we’ve figured out.

1. There were some issues with Category Colors that have been fixed in v4.4.2, now released.

2. The issue is primarily with how the tooltip displays in week view.

3. The tooltip displays correctly in month view.

If there’s anything I can do let me know.

Brian
    Keymaster

Thanks Andy!

That should be good for now.

Mark please make sure to update to the latest version of Andy’s great plugin to see if that helps resolve most of this.

Thanks

Andy Fragen

Brian,

I have been working with Mark and he is updated. The issue highlights an edge case in the week view tooltip. Take a look at the images posted on GitHub.

Have a great time at #wcus.

Brian
    Keymaster

Thanks Andy.

So the week view issue is the full content is being displayed and not just an excerpt using the tribe_events_get_the_excerpt function. To fix this in 4.0 follow these steps:

Within the main Events Calendar plugin, navigate to the src > functions > template-tags > general.php file and open it within your preferred text editor.

Navigate to line #1320 within that file. It should look like:

$excerpt = wp_trim_excerpt( $excerpt );

You can change that line to be:

$excerpt = wp_trim_words( $excerpt, '55' );

Where “55” is the number of words that you would like the excerpt to be there.

Let me know if that fixes the week view issue.

Thanks

Andy Fragen

Brian,

I don’t think the issue is an excerpt. Take a look at the images in the referenced GitHub issue. Works in month view tooltip, doesn’t work in week view tooltip.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi Andy,

When I tested it, it fixed it for me.

Those tooltips were never designed to display full content with markup.So it may work in Month View, but it is not a feature we support.

I could be wrong, but that is my initial thought on it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘This Week Widget potential issue?’ is closed to new replies.