Theme Conflict: Risen Theme

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Theme Conflict: Risen Theme

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Shelley
    Participant

I’m creating a site for a church using the Risen theme by Steven Gliebe. I installed The Events Calendar Pro and it worked fine when I added a couple of events. I added more events, mostly recurring, and now when I load the calendar page, the calendar doesn’t load and I get the message: Sorry, there are no events to show. This shows up twice on a white area on the page.

I’ve done all the recommended trouble shooting, and the calendar works. I reactivated the Risen theme and the problem comes back.

Any thoughts on what causes that error message? Anything else I could try?

I will contact the theme developer, but thought I’d start here.

Shelley

Geoff

Hi Shelley, thanks for getting in touch!

First off, I really appreciate you letting us know about this. While we can’t always make the plugins compatible with all themes, it helps a ton to know where there are conflicts — this allows us to see if there’s anything we can or should be doing on our end to make the calendar more extensible in future release. So, again, thanks!

The thing I notice right off the bat is this error message in the console:

You have included the Google Maps API multiple times on this page. This may cause unexpected errors.

Does the Risen theme include the Google Maps API on all pages throughout the site? If so, and you plan on using the Google Maps feature in the calendar, then I would suggest dequeuing the instance the theme is injecting to see if that clears things up. The theme developer might even have a handy snippet to help so it only dequeues its instance from calendar pages.

Let’s start there and see what we find. šŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Shelley
    Participant

The Google Maps settings only used on the location page on the site, but I can check with the developer on whether this affects other pages.

I don’t have Google Maps enabled in the Events settings. I did at one point, but it didn’t work right so I turned it off.

Shelley

Shelley
    Participant

I just remembered that when I created events, I checked the Use Google Maps box in the Venue area. I did not uncheck this when I unchecked Enable Google Maps. I’ll edit the events and will report back – maybe that’s the issue.

Geoff

Awesome, definitely keep me posted. šŸ™‚

Shelley
    Participant

Something strange: I tried removing the option for Google Maps on the venue by deselecting it in the checkbox, then hitting Save. It saves, then the checkbox is selected again. I deselect, save, same result. Maybe this is something?

Shelley
    Participant

I did remove the Maps option from each event, and that went smoothly.

Geoff

Very cool! I’m glad that that removing that option from each event seems to do the trick.

The fact that the option toggles like that when saving is certainly odd as well. Does it do that when a default theme is active?

Was the theme developer able to help provide a method for removing the theme’s instance of the API? I think that would be the most sure-fire way for everything to work on the front end.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Shelley
    Participant

My apologies, I didn’t communicate well. The calendar still doesn’t show up and still has the same message about no events to show. So, I’m still at square one.

– I removed the map option from each event.
    – I could not remove the map option from the Venue.
    – I just switched to another theme, deselected the map for the Venue, hit save and the check mark appeared back next to show map.

Geoff

Ah, gotcha–thanks for clarifying!

The heart of the issue still appears to be the second instance of the Google Maps API. Have you tried disabling maps from the calendar altogether? You can do this in Events > Settings > General. Uncheck the option to “Enable Google Maps” and save the changes. That should remove the plugin’s instance of the API.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Shelley
    Participant

I went into Events>Settings>General and the option to enable Google Maps was not selected. Wish I had better news. šŸ™‚

Geoff

Thanks for confirming that, Shelley!

You could certainly try removing the calendar’s API scrips using this function in your theme’sĀ functions.php file:

[php]
    function dequeue_tribe_events_scripts() {
    wp_dequeue_script( ‘tribe-events-pro-geoloc’ );
    }
    add_action(‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, ‘dequeue_tribe_events_scripts’, 100 );
    [/php]

Let me know if that does the trick. If not, we may need to see if the theme developer can help shed some light here. šŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Shelley
    Participant

Thank you, Geoff!

The theme developer got back to me with this information:
    —————————————————————–
    That page is using Risen’s events/upcoming page template. It is not compatible with Modern Tribe’s plugin. If you want to use their events instead of Risen’s, delete that page that is using Risen’s events template. They probably are conflicting.
    —————————————————————–

I will give his suggestion a try. I’m using version 2 of the Risen template and didn’t expect a conflict since ver 1 has no conflict. If his suggestion doesn’t work, I’m just going to switch to a Genesis theme, which I preferred from the start, but the client asked to stay with the Risen theme the church had been using. I can create something very close to what they are looking for, maybe even better, with the Genesis platform.

Shelley

Thank you for all of your time Geoff. Your attention to this issue was outstanding! You can close this now.

Shelley

Geoff

That is awesome to hear, Shelley! Fantastic work here and thanks so much for confirming the answer — feel free to let us know if anything else pops up and we’d be happy to help. šŸ™‚

Geoff

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Theme Conflict: Risen Theme’ is closed to new replies.