The Events Calendar PRO and WPML

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO The Events Calendar PRO and WPML

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Fabien

Hello,

I have a problem with using The Events Calendar PRO and WPML on the same site. Most things work fine but there is one problem.

If you, on http://bcfa.eu switch to dutch, and then click ‘bekijk alle activiteiten’, it is a 404. Also, if you go to http://bcfa.eu and switch to the default english, and then click ‘view all events’ and then switch to french (or dutch) it redirects to a completely different page. When you then click ‘< here : http://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-events-calendar-pro-and-wpml/

Fabien

the last sentence should have been :

‘terug naar activiteiten’ it again gives a 404.

I will post this same question in the support section of “The Events Calendar”

Rob

Hey Fabien. Thanks for the note on this; you’re the second user to report a possible conflict with WPML today so it’s possible that something else is up.

I’ve asked Jonah from our dev team to take a look and try to diagnose this issue when he hits the forums later today. If he cannot provide any guidance we’ll bring it to the lead dev on this project. If there is a conflict with WPML, as the forum thread at WPML seems to suggest, we’ll want to do what we can to fix it.

Thanks for your patience so far. Stay tuned…

madfatter
    Participant

Has there been any progress with this issue? I’ve got a website that I’m working on that I’d really like to be able to use Events Calendar Pro along with WPML.

Thanks!

Rob

Hi madfatter. Not much, yet, but we’re working on this for our current (2.0.8) release…which should be out the start of July. No guarantees it’ll be a 100% solution but we’re optimistic. Hope that helps and please let me know if I can answer anything else. Otherwise thanks for your patience on this so far.

Rob

Hey guys (and anyone else interested in WPML/Events Calendar PRO integration). Our dev team has been looking into this pretty extensively the past couple weeks and have come to a few conclusions. What’s happening: we use home_url() to set up our permalinks. WPML actually has a filter that hooks into home_url such that they alter the home url from http://www.example.com/ to http://www.example.com/?lang=es. What that means is that we build out URL off of that, and the browser gets quite confused, because it comes out as http://www.example.com/?lang=es/events/month. We build our links off of home_url. It’d work fine if WPML were using add_query_arg() to append the parameter to urls rather than alter what the home url is, but as that’s not the case we’re left with limited options.

Ultimately, while there isn’t any change we can make to our code that can accomodate for this, changing the WPML Language URL Format to “Different languages in directories” will work just fine. From what we’ve seen, the majority of users use one of two options: Languages in directories or Languages in subdomains. Both should work fine.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if anyone else has questions on this and we’ll do what we can to address them.

Torstein
    Participant

I’m working on a site that combines a concert calendar (TEC Pro, of course) with a small webshop (Marketpress from wpmudev.org) and is using WPML for multilanguage. But – I’m having some major problems with the permalinks, and after some testing, it seems TEC (pro) is the culprit.

Here is what happens: If I check the norwegian (default language) version of the webshop, it works fine, and if I check *any* english page (not just the webshop-pages), and it seems to work fine – but after that, the norwegian webshop-pages will only give 404’s. If I then resave the permalink-options (either in the standard WP panel, or in the marketpress-settings-page, everything works again. Until I have checked one of the english pages.

Sounds like a wpml or marketpress-problem, right? I thought so too, but it turns out the problem disappears if I deactivate TEC…

Here is the feedback from the lead developer on Marketpress, note the last paragraph about other unrelated plugins and permalinks:

———————————————————

If it’s still an issue, it’s definitely from the WPML side. That plugin creates different custom rewrites for each language, it sounds like they might be getting added too late so that when one of your installed plugins refreshes them, they are not yet in the queue.

This is often the fault of a completely unrelated plugin that refreshes permalinks sooner than it’s supposed to. The only way to narrow that down is to disable plugins one by one and test, or at least disable all but MP+WPML first to confirm it is another plugin. Good luck!

———————————————————-

That sounds like an exact description of my situation.

And the thing is – WPML is the only multilanguage-plugin that works well with Marketpress and Woocommerce, definately the two best ecommerce-plugins (actually, the only two I know about that are not plagued by bugs or crappy usability). And since the problem seems to originate with TEC, I suspect the same will happen with woocommerce if I switch to that one and keep TEC. So – ditching WPML or switching ecommerce-plugin is not an option, while there are some other options for event calendars (although I’d really like to keep using TEC!)

…so… could you pretty pretty please have a look at what Aaron (the marketpress-developer) said, and have a talk with the WPML-people?

PS: Think about it – this combination would be really KICK A** for lots of bands/artists: Concert/gig calendar, a small webshop to sell merchandise, and for many artists/bands/etc – multilanguage (native language + english). So – if you could make TEC be more friendly with WPML, it would probably be in your interest as well 🙂

PPS: here is the site I’m working on – http://web.solistkoret.no

Rob

Thanks for posting this, Torstein. What you’ve given here is great and should be helpful as we continue to look into making things integrate smoothly. While this is a bit outside my area of expertise I have asked our dev Paul to take a look here and respond to your feedback directly.

Rob

Hey again Torstein. I hope things are well with you since we last exchanged notes. My team has been following up on this and we’re still kind of stumped; would it be possible to get from you a copy of the site / db dump to debug it more easily? If so, that will definitely be valuable in helping us find a resolution here.

Let me know if that’s doable. If so, please shoot an email over to pro /a/ tri.be, referencing this thread, and we’ll look into it from there. Cheers!

Torstein
    Participant

I switched to WooCommerce instead of Marketpress, and that solved the problem 🙂 Also, WooC. updated to 1.6 while I was working, and in that update they actually changed things a bit around, which first confused me a bit, but it made things a lot simpler in the end!

So if it was Marketpress, WPML or TEC that was the problem, I really dont know, but it works now 🙂

Rob

Thanks for confirming as much, Torstein. Glad to hear you found a workaround on this – for our part we’re going to keep looking into it to see what we can figure out on the conflict side, and hopefully resolve that in one of our next releases so other folks’ don’t share the inconvenience you faced.

As always, please let us know if you need anything else in the future. Cheers!

Torstein
    Participant

Good to hear, less conflicts are always better, especially when things get as complex as they are on that particlular site 🙂

I believe I still have a backup of the database from before I switched webshop-solution, if I find it I’ll send it to you 🙂

Rob

Nice! That’d be awesome, if you find it shoot it to pro a/ tri.be and we’ll investigate.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘The Events Calendar PRO and WPML’ is closed to new replies.