The Events Calendar: Community Events – Conflict with Thrive Visual Editor

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events The Events Calendar: Community Events – Conflict with Thrive Visual Editor

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bruce
    Participant

Attempting to edit a new post using Thrive Visual Editor I get a grey screen with whirlygig – which normally clears in a couple of seconds to allow the Thrive Editor to operate. As of today having updated everything – the screen does not clear.
    Deactivated all plugins – editor works.
    Reactivated everything except Community Events – editor works
    Activated Community Events – problem returns
    Reverted to theme Twenty16 – and repeated process.

Same result – Community Events causes editor failure.

Cliff

Hi, Bruce.

Sorry you’re experience this.

Could you please provide me a copy of the latest version of your theme (or is this a plugin?) so I can test this?

Please also provide any additional testing steps for me to follow to try to reproduce the issue.

Thank you.

Bruce
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

When I activated the theme, it said, “Themify Ultra version 1.6.5 is now available.” Therefore, please try things with their latest version and if things still don’t work, please send me that latest version. You sent me v1.6.1.

Bruce
    Participant

Cliff,
    I’ve never heard of Themify.
    The latest version of the Ignition theme that I shared on Dropbox is 1.200.21 as per the Dropbox file name.

Themify does not figure in the name of any of the products offered by Thrive and Google tells me that it is another source of drag and drop themes. (Possible Thrive are basing some of their work on a Themify base?)

The video I included was made yesterday with the latest version 1.200.21.

Regards
    Bruce

Cliff

I apologize for the confusion there; thanks for setting me straight. I activated Ignition theme and Thrive Visual Editor plugin.

I added return true; to thrive_check_license() in the theme and tve_tcb__license_activated() in the plugin so things were usable.

I then tried to edit a Post with that plugin and did see the same issue. Issues like this, as expected, are typically visible as errors in the console. (If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

I noticed these errors: https://cl.ly/253M2G452T1J

1. “Uncaught ReferenceError: tribe_l10n_datatables is not defined” — /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/resources/js/events-admin.js?ver=4.4.0.1
    2. “Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘on’ of undefined” — /wp-content/plugins/thrive-visual-editor/editor/js/editor.min.js?ver=1.500.6

With Community Events deactivated, neither console error appeared.

Therefore (obviously), there’s a conflict between the two plugins. It even happened when the two plugins were active while using the Twenty Seventeen theme.

I will report it to our developers, but I’m not sure if/when it might ever get any attention because we don’t officially support non-default themes (e.g. Twenty Seventeen), per our Scope of Support / Terms.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

If you need some coding help, you may want to ask your theme author, personal developer, and/or reference our documentation and list of known customizers.

Bruce
    Participant

Cliff,

I use WP and the Thrive products precisely because I don’t have the skills or inclination to tinker with the engine. So while I appreciate your research it doesn’t actually help me any.

So we have the usual situation from the users point of view of 2 suppliers saying ‘It’s not us, guv!’ – leaving the customer with no solution.

If I might point out that you confirmed that this is a plugin conflict and not a plugin/theme conflict. So it is not a matter of being outside your Scope of Support.

The point of WP is that for users like me it works out of the box and does not need customisation. And that it provides a framework for plugin suppliers to add functionality provided that they conform to the standards.

The fact that there is a plugin conflict means that one of you is in the wrong. I point no fingers because I am a customer to both of you. So is it not in your best interests to talk to Thrive and to sort out which one of you it is?

Such action would actually improve the quality of your product as well as identifying a coder who may need a little further quality control – and deliver real customer service.

To say to a customer that a defect in a product they have paid for is not important enough for you to fix in a hurry is surely not a good approach.

Regards
    Bruce

Cliff

Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough reply.

To be more accurate, this phrase is included in both of those “terms” links I previously shared as something we do not provide support for:

I would like to integrate the plugin with a third party plugin, theme or service.

As you’ve obviously experienced in the past, this is probably something all other plugin developers state (or at least act this way even if not officially stated) of their own products… so the “stuck in the middle” situation can occur. While this is never fun for you or for us, it’s just part of being reasonable with the level of support we’re able to provide and keep our plugins affordable.

That being said, since you have a relationship with Thrive, please do get in touch with them and report the issue and if they have code suggestions for us, they can surely contact us — or you and I can communicate back and forth through this thread to get messages to and from Thrive’s support.

I hope this is reasonable, and I truly do hope you get a solid response from them soon. Please let me know how we can help further and I’ll do my best for you.

Bruce
    Participant

Cliff,
    I did, indeed, raise a ticket with Thrive immediately after your last response and quoted your analysis to them with the same suggestion that a conversation with you would be of benefit all around.

Everyone wins in different ways. One of you learns what is wrong with their code, one of you gets to brag to me about how it wasn’t their fault and I get my paid for plugin working again.

But if you will excuse me pushing the point again, it’s your plugin that is not working.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Bruce,

My name is Geoff and I head up support here at Modern Tribe. Cliff brought this thread to my attention and I wanted to chime in here because I think there is miscommunication on both sides of this conversation that I hope to clarify so we all can proceed in a direction that, above all, gets you closer to a resolution for what you’re reporting.

First off, I do want to apologize that you’re seeing an issue at all. As a WordPress user myself, I also have a set of expectations that everything should simply work out of the box and I have been disappointed my fair share of times when they do not. It’s a terrible feeling and my hope (as well as Cliff’s) is that we can at least get to the bottom of what is causing it to happen.

You also provided a nice overview of the testing you did to troubleshoot the issue — thanks for that! Not many people go into that level of detail and your efforts there helped Cliff jump right to the point, which is awesome.

I do want to circle back around to Cliff’s testing and the fact that there appeared to be Javascript conflicts when he installed Thrive Visual Editor plugin. That’s concerning because it would seem to signal that the plugin either has a coding error that needs to be resolved on that end or it makes use of a function or piece of WordPress functionality that conflicts with how Community Events makes use of something similar.

In either case, we are happy to look into the issue now that Cliff has ticketed it in our system. However, to reiterate Cliff’s point, the chances of us getting to this specific ticket immediately are low since the troubleshooting confirmed that the issue has to do with the compatibility of a third-party plugin, rather than a core issue with Community Events that prevents it from working right out of the box with WordPress itself. We do our very best to be compatible with as many themes and other plugins as we can but, as you might imagine, it is impossible for us to be compatible with everything that has been been coded for WordPress by third-party developers.

That said, we definitely are interested in looking into this further from our end once we have the chance and while setting your expectations fairly that we may not get to this right away. While I know it is not a resolution to the issue, I went ahead and extended your Events Calendar PRO and Community Events licenses an additional year to help make up for the inconvenience while we look into this.

In the meantime, I recommend downgrading Community Events (and possible Events Calendar PRO) to the last version where you noticed that the Thrive Visual Editor issue did not exist. Also, please do let us know if there are updates in the conversation you are having with the Thrive Visual Editor support team and know that we would be happy to answer any questions that they have for us, if any come up in their efforts to look into this.

Sorry again for the trouble this overall incompatibility between two plugins is causing and I hope this helps set us on a clearer path to figuring out what’s happening.

Sincerely,
    Geoff

Bruce
    Participant

Geoff,
    You’ll appreciate that the only thing the frustrated customer can do is keep banging on the counter to get someone’s attention.
    So thank you for your considered response – and the extra year, of course.

I will keep you advised of Thrive’s responses and see about winding back to the earlier version.

Regards

Bruce

Geoff

You bet, Bruce. Please do keep us posted if Thrive has any clues and we, of course, would be happy to either help answer any questions they might have, or even review any recommended changes they might suggest that would help integrate our products with their better.

Cheers and thanks for your understanding!

Geoff

Bruce
    Participant

Gents,
    Have just upgraded Community Events plugin to latest 4.4.1 and everything appears to have returned to normal.

I have not done any detailed testing other than a quick New Post – Edit with Thrive but the Thrive editor opens and works – so am hopeful.

Thanks to the development team.

Regards

Cliff

Bruce, thanks for reporting back about this topic.

I’ll close this thread and the internal bug report it was attached to.

I’m glad it worked out!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘The Events Calendar: Community Events – Conflict with Thrive Visual Editor’ is closed to new replies.