TEC Pro mini-calendar widget messes with my theme's content-loop

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO TEC Pro mini-calendar widget messes with my theme's content-loop

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hunter
    Participant

Hi there,
    When I insert the mini-calendar widget into a page (using Event Rocket add-on, or any of several widgets-to-shortcode plugins), it causes my page-building content.loop to forget its place and start getting random blog posts instead of the homepage pages it should have been fetching. This happens even with all other plugins turned off, but not on 2013 (obviously, since the problem only occurs when it is inside a content-loop. When I remove the widget, the loop continues as expected. When I move the widget down in the page, the problem goes with it- it starts consistently right after whichever page block TEC is inside.

Seems to be a plugin/theme incompatibility that is greater then just TEC & SImpleKey, but also would apply to many single-page theme layouts which use a similar content-loop. This integration is the entire reason I bought pro and very important to my site’s functionality. Is there a way I can have my plugin and use it, too?

What I’m looking for is an area of TEC that might interfere with an ongoing loop, and a way around it that doesn’t involve iframes. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Casey D

Hello folsomstevents,

Thanks for contacting us!

Can you more exactly describe which posts are out of sync, or what order you expected them to be in? From what I can tell everything looks good, but I’m not sure what your expectations were. I might be missing something.

And just to confirm, you are using the Simplekey theme, correct? http://themeforest.net/item/simplekey-one-page-portfolio-wordpress-theme/3729774

Thanks!

– Casey Driscoll

Folsom-Street-Events---leather-events-for-good-causes

hunter
    Participant

Hi,

Yes, I am using the SimpleKey theme.
    Here is what the homepage is supposed to look like: http://54.187.82.0/
    (I deactivated TEC Pro)

As I said above, the mini-calendar widget causes my page-building content.loop to forget its place and start getting random blog posts instead of the homepage pages it should have been fetching. What I was hoping for it to show is how it is now (that the plugin is deactivated), with the homepage items all the way down. These are the page items that are designated to appear on the homepage. What was showing before when the plugin was activated (as in your screenshot) were the homepage items showing as normal, until the calendar, where it stops fetching those and instead grabs random posts tagged “blog” instead of pages tagged “homepage. Very strange. All I can think is that something in the calendar’s loop interrupts the already running loop.

I hope this helps you diagnose the problem.

Casey D

Hello folsomstevents,

Thanks for the update. I think you’re right, I’ll talk to the devs to see if we can get you a short term fix. I think is probably caused by a wp_reset_query at the end of the plugin, but not sure.

For documentation sake here is a screenshot of the fixed front page with the plugin deactivated.

Folsom-Street-Events---leather-events-for-good-causes---GOOD

– Casey Driscoll

hunter
    Participant

Thank you, Casey!

That sounds about right to me. Wish I had the confidence to dig into the plugin myself, but I’ll leave it to the experts. Eagerly awaiting your patch!

Casey D

Hello folsomstevents,

Unfortunately, after talking with the devs there doesn’t seem much way around this. Ultimately it is a problem of a loop within a loop, if I understand it correctly.

The best we can recommend is to go down another track. It may be a bit tedious, but without getting into code manually adding events to that panel might be the only way to accomplish this right now.

If you have a moment, we’d love for you to submit your idea to our UserVoice forum. We take user ideas and contributions very seriously, and many times their ideas end up in our future releases.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

hunter
    Participant

Hi, Casey,

Unfortunately, this is not very helpful. When you say, “manually adding events to that panel,” what do you mean, exactly?

Also, do you offer refunds? Having an automatically refreshing event calendar is the only reason I purchased this plugin, and the major incompatibility with single-page site renders it fairly useless to me.

Thanks.

hunter
    Participant

This site talk about why this plugin’s code is not standards-compliant. Namely: “query_posts() will change your main query and is not recommended. Only use if absolutely necessary.”

Is there a reason TEC Pro did not use the recommended WP_Query or get_posts() functions instead?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_reset_query

Casey D

Hello folsomstevents,

We took some time dissecting this issue yesterday and we believe there will be non-resolvable conflicts with the page-building aspect of your theme.

The Events Calendar does heavily use WP_Query, and clearing the query with wp_reset_query() after building a widget is standard good practice. The conflict occurs in the way page-builder, event rocket (an experimental plugin) and The Events Calendar Pro month widget combine together. There is a loop within a loop conflict that occurs within your theme.

We don’t guarantee that functionality will work with under all configurations. We do our best to manage customer expectations, but it appears we failed here. We’d love your feedback if you could advise us what part of our website promised or conveyed this sort of integrated functionality.

We’re sorry this didn’t work out and we are happy to offer you a refund if you email us your original receipts to [email protected].

Does this make sense? Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

Casey D

Hello folsomstevents,

We typically close threads if there is no activity after two weeks. Feel free to create a new thread and reference this one to save you time.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘TEC Pro mini-calendar widget messes with my theme's content-loop’ is closed to new replies.