Tagged events list, click to pages 2 and higher?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Tagged events list, click to pages 2 and higher?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Victor Levy
    Participant

I’d like to provide my users a link to the first page of a tag filter, and let them page through the set of tagged results. If I provide a URL such as

http://mysite.net/events/tag/mytag/

my users correctly see the first page of tagged events. But the “Next Events >>” link is to the second page of unfiltered events, not the next page of events containing the tag. Specifically, the next page link is to

http://mysite.net/events/list/?tribe_paged=2&tribe_event_display=list
    and not the result I want, which is:
    http://mysite.net/events/tag/mytag/?tribe_paged=2&tribe_event_display=list

Even if I explicitly provide the page-1 link

http://mysite.net/events/tag/mytag/?tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=list

the next-page links is to the second page of unfiltered events.

Also, is there a way for my users to get to the first page without me providing the URL? If they click a tag hyperlink, the resulting listing is not an events listing but a posts listing that is not useful at all for events.

Thanks for your help, Vic

Barry

Hi Vic,

To some extent, The Events Calendar does indeed support URLs of the pattern you described (ie, /events/tag/{name}/) however they aren’t in general use and there would be various shortcomings if you do try to use them, such as you have outlined.

So far as I was aware we do not automatically generate any links that use that sort of URL. Can I ask how you came across them?

Victor Levy
    Participant

Hi Barry, thanks for your attention. What I am trying to do is find a way for my users to get real value from the links that the events calendar places in my event listings, especially those created by the tags I have placed in them. What would be ideal (and I guess for that reason I sort of expected) would be if a user clicked a tag in one event, they would see other events with that tag in a format that is useful for someone looking for events, i.e., the same as my events page but filtered on the clicked tag. Instead, they see a list of posts starting with the most far into the future (which is the opposite direction of an events listing), and in a format that is alien to those looking at my events page and missing essential events fields like date, venue and price. It largely defeats the usefulness of adding hyperlinks to tags if they lead to a page that is not useful to my users.

Predicting a referral to the filter bar, I can see the filter bar being helpful to power users, and why its use would be recommended by Modern Tribe because it is a revenue source. But it doubles my investment while adding a more complicated, time-consuming and error-prone interface than clicking a link on what my user has already identified as a valuable filter, and arriving at a helpful page.

To answer your question about how I came across the URL format, my forum search prior to posting this question led to a previous feature request, which I upvoted to 1 and commented on, and which contains the URL formats you are asking about. I was hoping that I could leverage that format to come up with any URL that my social media followers could follow and see a tag-filtered link (no filter-bar search required); it works for page 1 but breaks down when my user clicks Next Events.

Thanks, Vic

Victor Levy
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hi Vic,

Up-voting the existing feature request was definitely the best course of action here. Beyond that I’m afraid there’s not too much more we can offer right at this time (except for Filter Bar, though as you’ve noted that could be overkill for this particular scenario).

Your request is certainly a valid one and we’re aware that a number of customers would like to see improvements and changes to the way tags are used in relation to events.

Unfortunately, a snippet-based approach to achieving your goals – while possible – is on this occasion beyond what we can provide here in the support forums, owing to the complexity of such a solution.

Thank you for highlighting this issue, though, and for taking the time to up-vote it.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Tagged events list, click to pages 2 and higher?’ is closed to new replies.