Submitted new organizer is pending even after event is published

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Submitted new organizer is pending even after event is published

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pickleshy
    Participant

Got a fun bug for ya!

Expected behavior

Normally, when submitting an event through the Community Events form, you can add a new organizer as part of the process. If community event submissions are set to “pending” by default, then when the admin publishes the event, the new organizer is published at the same time.

Buggy behavior

However, in Community Events 3.11, when submitting an event with multiple organizers, the new organizer is published ONLY WHEN the new organizer is the first one on the list of organizers for that event. When the first organizer is an existing organizer, and a new performer is added below it, the new performer doesn’t get published when the event is published.

Steps to reproduce the bug

– Set default Community Event status to “pending”.
    – Fill out the community events form, using an existing organizer. Below it, add a new organizer as the second organizer.
    – Submit the event.
    – The event should be submitted successfully, and both the event and the new organizer are pending, as expected.
    – Then go into the admin interface to review and publish the event.
    – Notice that the event is published, but the new organizer is still pending. (You can see this by looking at the Organizers page, where it is tagged “pending,” and also by looking at the new organizer’s URL.)

By contrast, if you reverse the order in which organizers are added to the event, the new organizer IS published, as it should be:

– Fill out the community events form, using a new organizer. Below it, add an existing organizer as the second organizer.
    – Upon publication, the event and new organizer are both published, as expected.

To reproduce the bug, you MUST make the first organizer(s) existing ones, and then add a new one below. You can do this all in a single submission process.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by pickleshy.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by George.
    George
    Participant

Hey @pickleshy,

Thank you so much for this bug report. This is definitely something worth investigating!

Just to be clear though, you say “in Community Events 3.11” – this is an outdated version of the plugin which is now at version 3.12. It’s a small increase in version number, but many bug fixes have been included since 3.11.

Do you have the same buggy behavior if you use the latest versions of all Tribe plugins? The breakdown per-plugin for that is as follows:
    • The Events Calendar → 3.12.2 (http://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar)
    • Events Calendar Pro → 3.12.1 (http://theeventscalendar.com/my-account/downloads)
    • All other Tribe plugins → just 3.12 (http://theeventscalendar.com/my-account/downloads)

Let us know what you find with your site in this state, I will be running the same software and will try to recreate this too.

Thank you!
    George

pickleshy
    Participant

Hi George,

I am aware of the 3.12.x updates, but since my site is highly customized, we JUST got done testing, fixing, re-testing, and deploying the 3.11.x version to the site.

It’s sometimes hard to stay on top of all the updates when they’re not entirely backwards compatible and/or compatible with our customizations. (Just for an example: the 3.12.x versions currently break the date picker on my Community Events form, so until I get that figured out, I can’t update to the latest.)

Anyway, not to complain – just explaining why I’m not running the latest versions. It’s a lot of overhead on our end, and we have to balance that with other site-related work, as I’m sure you understand.

Anyway, might be worth looking into this just in case it’s still relevant in 3.12.x!

George
    Participant

You’re not complaining at all, @pickleshy, and I actually really appreciate you clarifying why you’re on the older versions!

I’m genuinely sorry about the frustrations any breaking updates have caused for you in managing your site. It’s something we take seriously and it’s a delicate thing to balance: we want to roll out exciting new features, but sometimes that does, unfortunately, mean we have to break some old code. We try to handle that with deprecated function calls and such to minimize the impact, but it’s never a perfectly smooth transition.

Every time we have breaking changes in an update, I swear to you that it leads to a debate in our weekly support meetings and/or our code review meetings. We’re always torn about whether to release such breaking changes or not, and we have decided against doing so a number of times…

I just wanted to relay this information to provide some context and hopefully get across the idea that we care about customer sites, and as mostly freelancers with client sites ourselves, hate having plugin updates that break things! So I feel your pain; you mention the Community Events datepickers not working when you try updating to 3.12.x, are there any other specific bugs you find when trying to update? Let me know in detail what things break – I can try to recommend some ways to update without breaking these things on your site.

Sincerely,
    George

pickleshy
    Participant

George, thanks for the sweet reply! I completely understand 🙂

I can send you updates on 3.12.x as soon as we have it on staging. Should I post them here, submit them as individual bugs via the forum, or send you an email?

George
    Participant

Thanks @Pickleshy! You can post updates here in this thread 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Submitted new organizer is pending even after event is published’ is closed to new replies.