Spurious URLs being generated, creating "Not Found" Google Crawl Errors

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Spurious URLs being generated, creating "Not Found" Google Crawl Errors

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gregg
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

Pagination: The example above (http://ptownevents.com/events/category/theme-week/page/5) doesn’t fit your description. There’s never been 5 pages of events in this category. There’s only been 1 page since last summer.

Feed Issue: The ‘feed errors’ which began this thread re-appeared on 3/5 even though I added the code to the functions.php file on 2/28. However, I only received 4, which is a reduction from what I was getting on a daily basis. Perhaps it may take some time. I’ll update you if it continues.

FYI – I’m updating the plug-ins today.

Gregg

Cliff

Definitely some odd stuff. Sorry it’s not as black and white to make it easy to know exactly what to test to try to replicate. Hopefully sprinkling some updates and fairy dust on your site helps!

Please let me know how things go for you.

Gregg
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

The issue continues for the ‘page=x” and ‘feed’ URLs.

ISSUE: ?tribe_event_display=past&tribe_paged=x
    Last Thursday, we added a 2-performance event in August 2017 (14th and 15th). We have no other events on the calendar in August 2017. However, this ‘not found’ error appeared in our Google Search Console: http://ptownevents.com/event/crown-anchor-presents-pam-ann/all/?tribe_event_display=past&tribe_paged=2

Since we have no other events, this 2-day event never would have appeared on a page 1 and page 2. They always would have shown on one page.

Additionally, the dates of the show are displaying in reverse chronological order. (Screenshot attached.)

ISSUE: Feeds
    Here’s an example of the ‘feed’ issue we continue to see.

There’s a show from last summer at this URL: http://ptownevents.com/event/catastrophe-curated-john-waters/. There are no other John Waters events besides this event.

However, Google returned this error: event/john-waters/feed/

Please let me know what can be done since the code snippet we added to the functions.php hasn’t solved the issue. (Again, the number of ‘feeds’ errors returned has decreased – we’re now only getting 3 – 4 a day returned.)

Thanks Gregg

Cliff

Gregg, one of our developers and I looked into this and our best guess is that the Yoast SEO plugin may be adding those links to the non-existent next pages of the category archives, in which case you’ll want to contact their support directly. Sorry we couldn’t be of more help in this.

Gregg
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

I checked the site sitemap generated by Yoast, and that I manually submit to Google console regularly, and none of these URLs appear in the sitemap. If Yoast was the cause wouldn’t these URLs appear in the sitemap?

Thanks Gregg

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Gregg,

Sorry for the delay! As you probably know our team went on a trip all last week, and thus delayed responses a bit.

I checked the site sitemap generated by Yoast, and that I manually submit to Google console regularly, and none of these URLs appear in the sitemap. If Yoast was the cause wouldn’t these URLs appear in the sitemap?

Not necessarily. That said I just checked the ticket, and we are sitll not completely sure what is causing those links. More research is needed to isolate.

I see that on your site you are now 301 redirecting those pages to a new canonical page. That is a great solution. A 301 or 302 is a good idea for anyone facing this for now. Once we isolate it, we will release a proper fix. But in the mean time solutions this are awesome, and should continue working even once we find a more permanent fix.

Cheers!

– Brook

Cliff

Hi. I’m just checking in to let you know that it’s our understanding this issue is still outstanding and awaiting our development team’s eventual release… but please do let us know if you’re not experiencing it any longer. If you are, know that we’ve got it logged and no action or response from you is needed at this time. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Gregg!

Just wanted to share with you that a new release of our plugins is out, including a fix for this issue.

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-6-may-2018/

We apologize for the long delay and truly appreciate your patience while we worked on this.

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site.

Best,
    Victor

Gregg
    Participant

Thanks Victor!

Will the crawl errors resolve themselves or do I need to manually fix them through redirects?

Thanks
    Gregg

Cliff

This is the line item from the linked changelog:

Fix – Prevent 404 errors on recurrence feed pages (thanks to Ranjan and others in the Help Desk for reporting this problem!)

The redirects won’t be setup automatically. Sorry for that inconvenience.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Spurious URLs being generated, creating "Not Found" Google Crawl Errors’ is closed to new replies.