Sort Tickets using Sale End field

Home Forums Ticket Products Event Tickets Plus Sort Tickets using Sale End field

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Iain
    Participant

Hi,

As Event Tickets (running via woocomemrce) doesn’t allow for tickets to be linked to individual recurring instances I am wondering if it’s possible to run a ticket sort via functions using the “sale end” field?

At present some of our courses have 3 tickets per event and multiple events. The tickets all show in one block at the bottom of the page, and they can only be sorted by price or name, both of which are useless users are looking for a specific date. At the moment all the dates are mixed up as the date field is irrelevant to the sorting.

Looking at the options, one field that we can use to make the tickets vanish after the event is ‘sale end’, so my thinking is that this must be linked to the ticket, and therefore sortable by that?

If you could let me know if you have a workaround for this that would be great as I can’t be the only person having this issue 🙂

Thanks, Iain

Cliff

Hi Iain. Thanks for your question.

Event Tickets Plus should be supporting recurring events (i.e. tickets for single instances of an event series), hopefully really soon.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Thanks.

Iain
    Participant

As soon as 4.1?

Could you give me a rough release date so I can set my clients expectations?

Thanks, Iain

Cliff

It’s not slated for our 4.1 release. It might make it into v4.2, but I can’t provide exact information or a time estimate.

Thanks for asking.

Iain
    Participant

Ok, thanks.

So while we’re waiting is it possible to sort the tickets by their “Sale End” field by customising the function shown in how to sort the sort order by date/name?

Thanks, Iain

Cliff

Iain, two things:

1. I don’t want to set you up for using tickets with recurring events with how it functions now and then later you update to a version that supports tickets per occurrence within a recurring series — and then you’re potentially left in a pickle.
    2. If you still are wanting sorting by a certain field, please explain (e.g. screenshot or link) where exactly you’re looking for this functionality.

Thanks for your understanding. I’m looking forward to your reply.

Iain
    Participant

Hi Clive,

I totally understand, and appreciate you looking out for me. My thoughts are that if we can drop some lines into the functions file we can always remove them when the release we need rolls out. My concern is that this release is quite a while away, and in the meantime the ticket order is pretty out of sync.

A simple example of a course is:

COOKING & LIFESTYLE FOR METROPOLIS LIVING-Day workshop Veg & Vn

(screengrab: http://www.screencast.com/t/tHjsYlO36g)

If you look at the tickets they show by May, March, July, October. I’ve set ‘sale end’ dates on these for the day before the course, so my thinking was that we could use something similar to https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/changing-the-order-of-tickets/ but use the ‘sale end’ date as the sorting reference rather than name?

Thanks, Iain

Cliff

1)

Is there a limit to each event’s number of tickets or is there unlimited capacity per event?

2)

While we do provide that KB article to possibly help, we don’t help with further customizing it, per our Scope of Support / Terms. However, a dev checked out what you’re asking and provided this info that may be of help:

• Didn’t see a snippet to add to functions.php. Instead, will probably need to utilize the Themer’s Guide for your child theme to do a template override for wootickets/tickets.php — possibly looking for a ‘foreach’ in there and customizing it
    • These helpers may be of use: get_the_ID(), tribe_is_recurring_event(), and the ticket object’s ‘start_date’ and ‘end_date’ properties (accessible through $ticket->start_date)
    • and tribe_get_start_date()

===

Let me know about my 1st question above…

Iain
    Participant

Thanks for that Clive.

Theoretically there are unlimited ticket types per event, however several have 5 tickets types per event. An example of a typical events would be:

All Day Ticket
    Morning Ticket
    Afternoon Ticket
    Evening Meal Ticket
    Evening Meal Guest Ticket

This then shows 5 tickets in the list, and if there are 4 events you end up with 20 tickets. This in itself isn’t the end of the world, but when the dates are mixed up it can make it quite hard to find the appropriate ticket.

Thanks, Iain

Cliff

1)

It sounds like there is a limit to each event’s capacity (e.g. only 20 seats available for next Tuesday’s morning event). I was more curious than anything else to see how maybe I could help provide some implementation ideas.

2)

I double-checked with one of our developers and got this feedback:

I don’t think we can give you a snippet (e.g. for functions.php) then strip out later. Instead, you might be able to do a child theme template override targeting wootickets/tickets.php, within which there is a loop like foreach ( $tickets as $ticket ) { /* ... code to render each ticket */ }

At the top of the loop, you could inspect the ticket at hand and either discard/skip it or render it, according to whether it meets your specific criteria. So your test is probably going to look at:

• Whether it is indeed being displayed in relation to a recurring event instance
    • What the current instance date is
    • What the current ticket start/end sale dates are

Helpers you could use include get_the_ID(), tribe_is_recurring_event(), and the ticket object’s start_date and end_date properties (i.e. accessible through $ticket->start_date). tribe_get_start_date() and tribe_get_end_date() would of course be other good helper functions.

I hope this feedback helps you understand the scope of the customization so you can decide whether or not to pursue developing and implementing it. Again, this is outside the realm of our provided support so we won’t be able to assist with it any further.

===

I wish tickets supported recurring events already for your use, but that’s just not the case yet. I hope we get it done for you soon enough.

Have a great one! 🙂

Iain
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

Sorry, I misunderstood the question 🙂 You are correct in that, there are generally no more than 5 ticket types per event day, and each of those tickets is limited to 6 seats.

Thanks for the developer input too, I’ll give that a shot and see what we come up with.

Tanks again, Iain

Cliff

Thanks for your reply. I’ll wait to hear back.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Sort Tickets using Sale End field’ is closed to new replies.