Something’s gone fubar…

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Something’s gone fubar…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Lee
    Participant

Hey folks,
    A client of mine has been managing her events, spent two days inputting a whole bunch of events for the Edinburgh festival. Everything seemed to be working fine. Went to check the front end, and the main calendar is now showing recurring events dated all the way back to the 2nd June, even though it’s set to August.
    Thought that was a bit weird, so she called me, and when I go into the Events admin panel, I’m not seeing ANY events in the back-end, so I can’t tell what’s going on.
    I don’t want to roll back, as the last DB backup we’ve got is 1st August so she’d lose all of that work. That was taken just before I updated to the latest Events Calendar Pro version. I’ve not looked at it much since then, so assumed that it worked, but it could be the update that’s made everything freaky, I’m not sure. Nothing else has changed and it’s been working fine for months previous to this.
    Could you possibly take a look or get in touch to troubleshoot please?
    In the back-end, it’s showing as over 1000 events published, but it doesn’t show any in the list. I can click on Draft and it shows me the 40 or so draft events, but Published or All don’t show anything.
    What’s going on pls?
    Cheers
    Lee

Lee
    Participant

Sorry…website is http://www.skootkidz.com/whats-on/
    Might help1 🙂

Lee
    Participant

OK debug bar installed…
    this is the back-end problem
    The SELECT would examine more than MAX_JOIN_SIZE rows; check your WHERE and use SET SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1 or SET SQL_MAX_JOIN_SIZE=# if the SELECT is okay
    It looks like there’s a cap on number of records shown in the editor, right? Would this also be affecting the front end?
    Thanks
    Lee

Lee
    Participant

Ok so after some digging it seems there are two issues at play here, and one quality of life issue:
    1) Recurring events are still showing in sequence i the calendar and the event list from the start of their recurrence through to the end, even when some events have passed. For example, a recurring event that started on the 9th June, repeating daily until 18th August, is today showing every event since the 9th June, even though the calendar is showing as August.
    2) There seems to be a limit, I’m guessing of around 1000, to the number of events it is able to display in the editor screen. We’re currently sitting on 1064 published events, and it’s showing as blank, so I can’t see or edit the events from the back end. The only way I can get into them is through the “EDIT” link at the bottom of the actual front-end event page when I’m logged in.
    3) A different problem, but I’m finding it annoying in this troubleshooting exercise…when you have just TEC enabled you can see the usual links for All, Published, Draft at the top of the editor. This lets me see the draft posts, for example, as I’ve only got 100 of those.
    When I enable TECPro those links are replaced by the filter box, which can’t filter by draft, so I’m locked out of those, and due to the nature of this other issue, can’t see anything.
    Is there a way to increase the number of records that it can query and show in the back end? Is that a function of TECPRo or is that the host SQL or PHP. I’ve got plenty of memory available…Debug bar is showing at 51MB for the query error.

Lee
    Participant

Checked with the host and this is what their support says:

MySQL will refuse to execute select statements that process a very large number of rows. You should either adjust your select statement to make it more efficient, or set SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1 in the session before executing the large select statement. Use something like this to do that ..

$db->sql_query(“SET OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1”);

Where would I alter this in the plugin code? I don’t think I can change this in the host config.

Joyce Grace

Hello Lee,
    I’m very sorry you’re having this issue. I’m going to try to get some higher level support to help you out as soon as I can. However, to get us started, we first need to rule out the most common possibilities and get you on the latest set up to make sure we can offer you support. Can you confirm you’ve done all of the following for me?

1. Are you running the latest version of WordPress?
    2. Are you running the latest versions of our plugins (2.0.8)?
    3. Have you tried deactivating all other plugins to rule out a conflict?
    4. Have you tried reverting to the Twenty Eleven theme to see if it’s something with your theme?
    5. Try setting your permalinks to ‘postname’ in Settings > Permalinks?
    6. Try refreshing your permalinks by visiting Settings > Permalinks (it does it automatically)?
    7. Try increasing the PHP memory for your website: http://www.dailyblogging.org/wordpress/increase-wordpress-memory-limit/?

If you can respond in detail to each of these so I know you’ve done all of them, and none of them worked to fix the issue, I can get someone in on this asap.

Thanks!

Lee
    Participant

Hi Joyce
    1) yes siree, v3.4.1
    2) Yes
    3) I did, and it still didn’t work
    4) Tried changing the theme, yes, and it still did the same.
    5) Permalinks are already on postname
    6) I tried this and made no difference
    7) I’m on a shared host and the max they allow is 128MB, with a default of 64MB. I’ve increased it, but again, made no difference. It looks like the default settings are set to not allow large queries (over 1024 I presume). I’ve tried to set this default to 1 in the shared server config, but it hasn’t solved the problem. I’ve read that perhaps you can force the query to run a large query in the PHP of the plugin, but I’d need some help with that.

Joyce Grace

Hello Lee, thank you for this information, it really helps. I am going to try to get a higher level support person to help out. Thanks for your patience!

Casey
    Participant

Lee,
    I’m going to pass this issue on to our dev team to take a look at. Stay tuned and let me know if you have any other questions in the mean time.

Lee
    Participant

No longer required.
    I’ve moved the site to a dedicated VPS and everything is working as intended. Must’ve been a memory issue perhaps…1077 events records is the current number, so that must’ve pushed the query beyond the memory limits, certainly at the backend (WP Debug was reporting a 55MB memory usage on the query), and probably at the front-end too, because that seems to be working as intended now too, with the recurring events being shown from today, not two months ago.

Casey
    Participant

Lee,
    I’m re-opening this so we can test with the latest version. Would it be possible to get a copy of your database to use for testing this performance issue? Just let me know. Thanks!

Rob

Looks like, based on Lee’s last note, he’s fully set here. And since we haven’t heard back yet I’m going to assume we aren’t going to get the DB. Not a big deal! But I am closing the thread since it’s otherwise done.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Something’s gone fubar…’ is closed to new replies.