Social sharing and comments options from Jetpack are not working anymore

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Social sharing and comments options from Jetpack are not working anymore

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Luciane
    Participant

Hi!

I changed my blog theme (Book your travel) and the social sharing and comments options from Jetpack are not working anymore at my events pages (here is an example http://trilheiros.net/calendario/aparados-da-serra-adventure/). I even wrote a comment at the admin page of the event but it doesn’t display at the event page…

The template is allowing the social icons to display for all the other pages and the Jetpack functions are working well (here is some examples http://trilheiros.net/eventos/aparados-da-serra-adventure/ http://trilheiros.net/2015/05/09/ataque-ao-pico-da-bandeira-brasil/)

I already read this article (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/tec-with-jetpack/) and I think that maybe a conflict with The Events Calendar’s Google export option. But I don’t understand where can I copy the code to correct this issue.

Does anyone could help me please?

Thanks
    Luciane

Jami
    Blocked

Hi Luciane,

It’s good to hear from you! From what you’ve described, it does sound like the theme’s template isn’t allowing those Jetpack modules to load. The function mentioned in the knowledge article probably won’t have an effect on the comments form but it might help get the social icons to display. You’ll want to place this at the bottom of your theme’s functions.php file:

https://gist.github.com/jamigibbs/c4c86cc47adac78a9ccb

As for the comments, first check that you have comments enabled for your events at:

Events > Settings > General > Show Comments

If that doesn’t do it for you, let me know and I’ll see if there are some other avenues we can try.

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Luciane
    Participant

Hi Jami!

I added the text at the bottom of my theme’s functions.php file but it didn’t work. The social bottoms do not appear only on my events pages (all the other pages the social bottoms are displayed).

About the comments, yes I have enabled them on my events settings but they also do not show…

Is there another thing we can do to fix them?

Thanks
    Best regards
    Luciane

Jami
    Blocked

Thanks for trying that, Luciane. It’s a bummer that didn’t work. Perhaps we can try this alternate version:

https://gist.github.com/jamigibbs/d17f29f25bb0ad80bb99

And if that doesn’t snap it to life, it sounds like you’ll need to check with the author of the theme. They may have edited the Events Calendar template files so that the default filters are no longer there for us to accomplish this.

Let me know how that goes.

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Luciane
    Participant

Hi Jami!

Yes, It worked!!!!
    Can we do something similar so the comments box can also appear?

Thank you!
    Luciane

Jami
    Blocked

Woo hoo! Great to hear! Now let’s roll up our sleeves to get the comments up and running.

So Jetpack Comments uses the function comment_form to display comments. This function is usually in your themes comments.php file but sometimes theme authors use a different method to display comments forms.

If this is the case, the fix isn’t going to be as simple as how we got those social icons working.

You’ll want to start by checking if your theme’s content.php file has comment_form in it.

If not, you’ll need to either get in touch with the theme author and ask that they update their theme, or, use a child theme to fix it yourself.

By using a child theme, you can copy over any of the parent theme files and edit them without having them overwritten by a theme update.

So you’d copy the content.php file from your current theme into your child theme and replace the method that they’re displaying the comments form and replace it with the correct function:

<?php comment_form(); ?>

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Luciane
    Participant

Hi Jami,

It already has a file named comments.php and I found this functions in it:

<?php do_action(‘comment_form’, $post->ID); ?>
    <?php comment_form_title( __(‘Leave a Reply’, ‘bookyourtravel’), __(‘Leave a Reply to %s’, ‘bookyourtravel’) ); ?>

Do I have to make any change?

Thanks
    Best regards
    Luciane

Jami
    Blocked

Thanks for investigating! Try changing this:

<?php do_action(‘comment_form’, $post->ID); ?>

To just this:

<?php comment_form(); ?>

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Luciane
    Participant

No, It didn’t work… 🙁

It appears two spaces for comments at my blog pages and none for my events pages

Do you have any other idea?

Thanks

Rob

Hi there Luciane! My apologies for the delayed reply here; Jami has unfortunately left us and we didn’t notice this thread was due a reply until now. I wanted to let you know this has been delegated elsewhere and another team member should be replying shortly. We appreciate your patience so far.

Brook
    Participant

Hello Luciane,

Thanks for your patience. 🙂 I will do my best to pick up where Jami left off. Typically our support for integrations is just an overview of what you need to do, the specific implementation is up to you. This is in part because integrations usually have many small hiccups along the way, even simple things such as a misnamed variable can be nearly impossible to remotely diagnose.

First of all I would undo the last thing you did, replacing that one line with this one:

<?php comment_form(); ?>

It sounds like that new line is not compatible with your theme. So if you delete it, and paste the old one, you will be right as rain on your blog pages again.

But I do have a couple of ideas. You said that you had enabled comments in Events > Settings > General. But, have you also enabled comments on each Event? When you go to Add or Edit an event, there is a box labeled Discussion. And inside of it is a checkbox to “Allow comments”. Both this and the setting mentioned before must be enabled.

If that does not work, have you tried a different page template in Events > Settings > Display? One of the other page templates might show the comments.

Did either of those work?

Cheers!
    – Brook

Luciane
    Participant

Hi Brook!

It’s all working now! It was just a simple thing as the page template! I changed the type and now both things are working: the social sharing and comments options 🙂

Thank you so much for your attention and help!

Best regards
    Luciane

Brook
    Participant

Excellent, I am so happy to hear that. Ta!

– Brook

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Social sharing and comments options from Jetpack are not working anymore’ is closed to new replies.