Slowing Down Site?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Slowing Down Site?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Beth
    Participant

There’s a new plugin that evaluates your plugins and tells you which are using the most resources. I was shocked to find that The Events Calendar is the number plugin slowing down my site’s load time. While most plugins, even ones that are very active, were having a less than 10% effect, the Events Calendar is 38-45% impact.

I could understand it effecting the page the calendar is on, but not the overall site. Is there some reason I’m missing and can you put speeding it up on your list for future updates? Since installing it, I’ve noticed my site slowed, but just wasn’t putting two and two together (or I was ignoring it, because I love the plugin).

Thanks! And, if you’re curious, a few blogging sites are talking about this plugin by GoDaddy: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/p3-profiler/.

Rob

Hey Beth. Thanks for the heads up here; this is definitely a solid suggestion and I wasn’t aware of the plugin-in-question. Do you have multiple events every day? We’ve found that definitely slows down the AJAX loader and are working to fix it in 2.0.5. But it sounds like the issue could be broader than that.

As such, I’ve asked our dev Joey to take a look here and see what he can suggest in terms of improvements for overall improvements to the code. Thanks again!

Beth
    Participant

Rob, I do have many events on each day. I use it as a calendar of free and cheap local family fun events, so there are as many as 10 kids eat free restaurants on some days. Luckily, it’s on a new part of my site that doesn’t get much traffic yet, so it’s not a huge problem, but as traffic grows, it could be a pain. Thank!

Rob

Ah, thanks for confirming Beth. I know that multi-day/AJAX loader issue is definitely on the short-term roadmap but hopefully this will dig up some other tweaks along those lines we can make, so folks in your position have a fully-functional and smooth calendar 🙂

Cheers. Let us know what else we can do .

Nini
    Participant

Hi Rob
    I did some similar research with P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) and it indicated that the bulk of my sites (the 2 sites I’m using the calendar pro plugin) load time was taken up by the Calendar plugin – do you know if any progress has been made on trying to resolve the issue?
    I love the plugin and want to keep using it, but my clients are complaining about the speed of the sites.

Rob

Hi there Nini. Thanks for the follow-up; this is the second report of user pain on this issue that we’ve heard over the past couple of weeks. While this was in the pile for 2.1 (as it’s a fairly large issue and is taking time to delve into), I’ve asked the team if we can bump it up to a sooner release. No guarantees but it’s now one of our higher priorities and we’re working towards it as such. Sorry I don’t have a more specific timetable, but know that relief is in sight.

Calvin deRuyter
    Participant

This load time is a real problem! Our testing showed that using the Events Calendar with the Community add-on ADDED almost 15 seconds to the download time for the site (not the page, but for the whole site!), in effect taking as much time as all the other elements of the site and plug-ins combined. And, as you know an EXTRA 15 seconds can be a death bell for a website! Has there been any movement on this issue since the last posting in May? This is a major major fault on what otherwise would be an outstandlingly steller plug-in!

Rob

Hey Calvin. Thanks for the note. Have you updated to 2.0.8 yet? We sped up the AJAX loading rather substantially in that codebase so if you update you’ll find the speed improvement with that.

We are working towards additional, more subtle improvements in 2.1 (which will be out this summer). But 2.0.8 should contain the first one that will show significant improvement. Let me know if you’re still seeing slowness on your end even after updating – in which case, a link to your site would be fantastic. Thanks!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Slowing Down Site?’ is closed to new replies.