site very slow

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO site very slow

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Summer
    Participant

site: permiankids.com

Site is running very slow, page load times are many minutes per page

We are running Events Calendar Pro 4.4.17 and Events Calendar 4.6

If we disable the Events Calendar plugins, the site is fast.

Hosting company is Media Temple

Please help

Hi Summer,

Thanks so much for reaching out!  I’m sorry to hear that your site is running slowly with use of our plugins.

As a first step, please have a look at our Performance Considerations and see if there is anything you can adjust in order to help your site run better:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/performance-considerations/

After that, you may be interested in caching, so take a look at this article: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/caching-basics/

Let me know how it goes and if you need any further assistance on this topic!

Thanks,

Jaime

Summer
    Participant

Our site is still terribly slow. on iOS it’s so slow to respond that in some cases it can’t be displayed. We have only a tiny bit of static content (normal posts) but our database is > 600mb. It seems that Events Calendar is grabbing up a ton of content, and because the database has become so large, all pages in the site are now slow.

We have another site hosted with the same hosting company, same version of PHP, but without the Events Calendar plugin. Performance on that site is totally fine.

We reduced some of the display settings as follows:
    Number of events to show per page: 10
    Clean up recurring events after: 1 month
    Create recurring events in advance for: 2 months
    Month view events per day: 3
    Enable months view cache: yes

We have wp-supercache plugin installed and enabled
    We have wp-optimize installed and ran it’s recommended database cleanup routines

In some cases it seems like caching is working and page loads are good, but if the page is not cached because something has changed and you are visiting that changed page for the first time, it is ridiculously slow (takes minutes to load).

Any advice is much appreciated. It would be great to get some specific advice and not links to generic articles.

Hi Summer,

Thanks for reaching back out!

I understand that it may seem like it is not helpful to get general advice, but it is difficult to give specific information sometimes because every site is so different.  There are so many factors at play, so I usually like to start general and try to get more specific if I can.

With that being said, you may want to look at some of the plugins in this article and see if installing any of them (such as Query Monitor) can help to provide more information about what specifically may be slowing things down.

https://theeventscalendar.com/favorite-developer-plugins/

How many events, organizers, and venues do you have on your site?

Also, would you mind providing me with a link to your site, so that I can take a look?

Thanks,

Jaime

Summer
    Participant

It seems the wp_options table in my site was very large, approx 590mb

Ran this command in phpMyAdmin

DELETE FROM wp_options WHERE option_name LIKE ‘%transient%’

Whole site is faster now. Not sure what caused the huge # of _transient_ rows to get added to this table, but it was the cause.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Summer.

Glad you were able to isolate the cause, you are welcome back in our support forums any time!

For now, I am going to close this thread.

Have a great week!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘site very slow’ is closed to new replies.