Show sidebars on calendar view (pro)

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Show sidebars on calendar view (pro)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kristine
    Participant

Hi – I’ve looked through the support files and read the Themer’s Guide but I’m not seeing how to do this: I’d like my left and right sidebars to still be visible when people view the calendar (I have it set to view as a list). In the events setting, I have it set to “default page template.”

How do I adjust the settings or code such that my sidebars show up?

Thanks!

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Kristine,

Good question. Hopefully I can help you find a solution easily, but sometimes your theme adds those sidebars in a nonstandard way and it can make this very complicatedto near impossible.

The typical way for a theme to add sidebars is by creating a Page Template which has them. So adding those sidebars is as simple as finding the right Page Template in WP-Admin > Events > Settings > Display. Have you tried each of the options from those drop downs? Does one of them show the sidebars you’re after?

If not, then adding the sidebar will require a fairly intimate knowledge of how your theme is designed. Whatever code it uses to add those sidebars, you will have to copy into a new page template. Sorry I can’t be more specific on this part, it completely depends on your theme and there is no way for me to know how it adds the sidebar. But more than likely simply changing the above option will work and you won’t need this step. 🙂

Does that all make sense? Did that help you add the sidebars? Please let me know.

Cheers!

– Brook

Kristine
    Participant

Hi Brook,

I did look there (display dropdowns) but there were no others and when I searched some of the Pages of mine that already exist, nothing came up. This may sound odd, but what –is– the Events Calendar? Is it a Page? I’ve searched my pages and I don’t see it.
    screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/d4yno

Thanks,
    Kris

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Kris,

That’s a good question. The Events Calendar is a standard WordPress “Custom Post Type Archive” page. Basically when you create a “Custom Post Type” in WordPress as many plugins do, WordPress automatically creates this page. It behaves similarly to any other archive page WordPress creates, like the pages it creates for a blog category or tag. So you will add sidebars content on it the same way you would if you were trying to alter the sidebars a specific category within your blog – via the WordPress API. This requires knowledge of PHP and coding though.

Many plugins choose to try and hijack or hide this page and instead show it via a [shortcode]. Originally we did not because this fights how WordPress intends for things to go, it slows the site down, is prone to bugs, and many other issues. <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>But, enough people have requested that we make the page embeddable via shortcode that we are working on converting our code so that it can be embedded that way too, such as within a WordPress page. But this requires a lot of work, especially to prevent bugs, so it’s a slow going effort.</span>

Does that answer your question? Relating that answer back to your circumstance you are basically going to need a decent knowledge of PHP and modifying WP Themes to alter which sidebars appear on your calendar, since your theme does not use standard WP Templates. I’m sorry that’s probably not the answer you were looking for. ;(

• Brook
    Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Show sidebars on calendar view (pro)’ is closed to new replies.