Should I go PRO?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Should I go PRO?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eoghan
    Participant

Hi,

I believe an upgrade to the PRO calendar will do what I need it to do, but I want to be certain before paying. (I already have the premium tickets plugin.)

Two questions:
    1. By “Recurring Events” do you mean that I can have an event (in our case a training session) that is offered on multiple occasions, but the event description only exists in one place, with new dates added for each time it is offered? If I do go ahead and get the PRO version, can I make events that already exist in my calendar recurring events or will I need to re-enter any event that will become a recurring event in future?

2. This might lead on the from the above…or it may be possible already with the basic free version: Can I list, on a single page, all events I have on offer, past and future? We want to show our full portfolio of courses, independent of their dates of offer, so that we can encourage people to request that we run them in-house for them or so that demand will lead to us offering a particular course.

I hope these questions make sense.

Thanks,
    Eoghan

Eoghan
    Participant

I have a further question, having read again the notes on recurring events. We run each of our events maybe twice or three times per year, not according to any fixed schedule. I understand there’s some sort of “Single Event” option under recurring events, which seems like it might be what we need to use. But do I simply keep on making an individual event recur on its next scheduled date?

Thanks,
    Eoghan

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Eoghan,

Hey, thanks for reaching out with your questions. Let’s go one-by-one.

1. By “Recurring Events” do you mean that I can have an event (in our case a training session) that is offered on multiple occasions, but the event description only exists in one place, with new dates added for each time it is offered?

Yes, absolutely. You set up one event and then you can set up recurrence rules. The rules are pretty flexible, you can have daily, weekly, monthly recurrence as well as a custom date. And you can set up multiple rules. Here’s a screenshot to help you get an idea.

Cloudup k2hgg11emjh

If I do go ahead and get the PRO version, can I make events that already exist in my calendar recurring events or will I need to re-enter any event that will become a recurring event in future?

Yes, absolutely, you can make existing events recurring.

2. This might lead on the from the above…or it may be possible already with the basic free version: Can I list, on a single page, all events I have on offer, past and future? We want to show our full portfolio of courses, independent of their dates of offer, so that we can encourage people to request that we run them in-house for them or so that demand will lead to us offering a particular course.

You should be able to set up the number of events listed under Dashboard > Settings > Reading > Blog pages show at most.

As for the past events you will need to do a bit of customization. Though if you have recurring events then you can set it up that all recurrences are shown.

We run each of our events maybe twice or three times per year, not according to any fixed schedule. I understand there’s some sort of “Single Event” option under recurring events, which seems like it might be what we need to use. But do I simply keep on making an individual event recur on its next scheduled date?

This is basically what you see on the screenshot. You set up an event as usual, then you set up a recurrence rule for “Once” and set the date. Then you can set up another recurrence rule for “Once” with a different date. And you can do this for all 365 day in the year if you would like to 🙂 but for that I would rather recommend the daily recurrence.

I hope these answer your questions. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Cheers,
    Andras

Eoghan
    Participant

Hi András,

Many thanks for your help with this. I have now purchased Events Calendar PRO and am very pleased with the added functionality.

However, I still have not managed to create what I’m looking for in terms of a date-agnostic list of events. I would like to create a list of all events we have in the calendar, where only the titles of the events are shown. (There is an independend Events Calendar Shortcode plugin that does something like this, but it seems to only do past OR future events, and not both simultaneously. Anyway, I’d prefer not to use another third party plugin.)

Can you please point me in the right direction to create A) a list view that shows only the event titles and B) a single event view that shows only the event title and description (but not any meta information, dates, etc). I don’t want to change my default list and single views, as I still need to use these for normal browsing of events, but I would like these two alternative views available for showing our full portfolio of courses independent of the dates on which they are offered.

I understand that I can probably use the Themer’s guide to do this, but what I don’t understand is how I would then call up these new custom lists and views once created.

Sorry if my question seems a little unclear.

Regards,
    Eoghan

Caroline

Hi Eoghan,

Thanks for following up–glad to hear that you’ve taken the plunge and that you’re enjoying Events Calendar PRO so far! 🙂

If you’re looking to create some alternate displays for your events that will not overwrite the existing list and single event views, I’d suggest creating a new WordPress template for your alternate list view and creating a custom loop to pull posts of the custom post type tribe_events. This will allow you to craft a loop just like you would for any other type of WordPress post and pull only the fields you need to display for your listings. You can then apply this template to the WordPress page of your choice to see your list in action.

For your alternate single event views, this might be a bit trickier, since you can’t use a WordPress template or loop in this way. You might try modifying the single event template indicated in our Themer’s Guide to add a bit of custom PHP that will hide the event date if a certain variable is present in the event URL (as in yoursite.com/single-event?variable=true).

I hope that helps give you some ideas to get you started! Thanks again, and let us know if you should have any other questions!

Eoghan
    Participant

Thanks Caroline.

I think for now it’s not really worth going to the trouble of having the extra development work done. I’ll manage with a manually created list of event titles with links to the single event pages.

Eoghan

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Eoghan,

I’m happy to hear your project is moving along and that you like our plugins.

Since you marked this resolved I am going to close this ticket, but if you need anything else related to this topic or another please post a new one in the forum and we will be happy to help you out.

Cheers,
    Andras

PS: If you like our plugins, and you didn’t yet do so 🙂 we would be happy to receive a review in the wordpress.org repository. Thanks!
    https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/the-events-calendar/reviews/

PS2: We’d be also grateful if you would give us feedback on your satisfaction with support. Just click on one of the classy looking emojis below. 🙂 If you can spare a few words, that’s even better. Doublethanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Should I go PRO?’ is closed to new replies.