ShortCodes not working on Eventbrite page

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets ShortCodes not working on Eventbrite page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    stevenmilstein
    Participant

My Elegent Themes shortcodes on http://startupbreakfastclub.com/event/montreal/ are not working on my Eventbrite page https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/startup-breakfast-club-friends-festive-edition-2014-07-10-tickets-7087509933. See “[learn_more…”, “[caption…”, [gallery…”

Is there a workaround?

Barry

Hmm, interesting.

Can you confirm if you have any custom templates set up in a tribe-events directory within the theme? If so, does temporarily renaming these/removing them help to resolve the issue with shortcodes?

stevenmilstein
    Participant

Barry, I don’t have a “tribes-events” directory under wp-content/themes/Trim, nor, under wp-content/themes/Trim-child.

thanks

Barry

I do apologize, Steven, I obviously didn’t have my brain in gear when I read your post first time round.

You’re right – and that’s of course because Eventbrite itself cannot understand the shortcodes. Theoretically I guess we could interpret them and then send the resulting content to Eventbrite – but that may not be desirable in every case (some shortcodes may dynamically generate different content or rely on the existence of enqueued stylesheets/Javascript assets – which we can’t assume will be present within eventbrite.com itself).

That said, we could certainly aim to do a little better here and I’ll log a feature request to enable to processing of shortcodes before exporting events to Eventbrite.

stevenmilstein
    Participant

Understood. But in the meantime, is there a workaround? I tried embedding javascript in the html to render code based on the host but neither WordPress, nor, Eventbrite seem to allow for this. Unless, of course I’mm doing it wrong.

Do you have any suggestions?

Barry

Hmm, well, owing to how it currently works I can’t say there’s any particularly clean approaches to this that are jumping out at me but, if push came to shove, you could do something like this:

add_action( 'tribe_events_update_meta', 'parse_shortcodes_in_post_content', 15 );

function parse_shortcodes_in_post_content() {
    	$_POST['content'] = do_shortcode( $_POST['content'] );
    }

I normally shy away from modifying superglobals in this manner – but if you are unable to wait for any future changes we might make with regards to this situation then you could potentially use this as the basis of your own solution (possibly you’ll need to add some extra safeguards to avoid unexpected side effects, but I’ll leave you to investigate that).

I hope that helps 🙂

stevenmilstein
    Participant

I added the code to my child theme functions.php, edited the page, clicked Update & received “An error occurred while contacting Eventbrite. Please review your information and try again.

Any thoughts?

Barry

Difficult to say.

I’m not using your theme and can’t test against the full range of shortcodes you are using, but perhaps one of them is throwing a spanner in the works?

With just our plugins, a default theme and an event with a number of attached images (where I am using the [gallery] shortcode supplied by WordPress) it all seems to work, though, and the gallery HTML carries across to Eventbrite – so long as I have the suggested snippet in place, of course.

Perhaps you could take things back to the same state – no other plugins, a default theme, plus the snippet added somewhere appropriate – and do the same test, then start building things back up and testing with more shortcodes and try to figure out the sticking point by process of elimination?

stevenmilstein
    Participant

I removed all the shortcodes except the WP built-in [caption] & [gallery] & still receive with the snippet:
    “Error
    An error occurred while contacting Eventbrite. Please review your information and try again.

Barry

So is this with all other plugins deactivated/just a default theme running (and of course the snippet I provided earlier in place)?

Unfortunately, it may be there isn’t too much more we can do to help right at this moment: I have logged an issue so we can look at parsing shortcodes in a future release – and though I was hopeful this snippet would give you some sort of workaround it may be there are other factors complicating things in your case.

stevenmilstein
    Participant

Sorry no, I didn’t deactivate all the plugins & revert to the default theme.

My event is live, being promoted & is only a few weeks away. Messing around with it like that, is something I’d like to avoid right now.

Thanks anyway

Barry

OK, I can understand that completely 🙂

Perhaps you have a test site or can set one up though for the purposes of troubleshooting? That way you can often identify problems and conflicts (and even test out solutions) without impacting on the live site.

If that’s possible and you want to look into this further just let me know – otherwise I’ll close this thread out (if I don’t hear from you over the next week).

Thanks again!

Leah

Hi there,

I just wanted to drop in and update you on the status of this issue. We are working on a fix, but we were not able to include it in our upcoming release (3.7). Correcting this problem is still important to us and we hope to have a fix done for a future maintenance release. We will do our best to keep you updated here on our progress. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work on this.

Best,
    Leah

stevenmilstein
    Participant

Leah, thanks for following-up! In the meantime, is there any workaround, or, would you like me test something on my end.

Regards

Barry

Hi Steven, thanks for the offer but we should be good 🙂

Just to clarify, though, we’re not really treating this as a bug as such – rather it’s a potential enhancement that we’re considering for a future release.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘ShortCodes not working on Eventbrite page’ is closed to new replies.