Shortcode for whole calendar

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Shortcode for whole calendar

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David Orchard

Hi, Can I place the whole calendar in a shortcode? I need to place it into a page built with Divi, which has a sidebar and page header etc.

PS. This form brings up a list of possible answers in your knowledge base, but none of the links in the list can be clicked. So I don’t know if an answer exists.

Thanks,
    Dave

Geoff B.

Good evening Dave and welcome to the Events Calendar forum!

Thank you for your interest in our products.
    We’ll be glad to answer your questions.

The short answer is yes. Using the Events Calendar Pro (https://theeventscalendar.com/product/wordpress-events-calendar-pro/), you have access to full calendar and widget shortcodes:

As an alternative, we are just about to release Loxi, an awesome new calendar platform that is all about embedding and looking dapper. You might want to subscribe to the newsletter to make sure you do not miss out on it: https://theeventscalendar.com/calendar-beyond-wordpress/

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

David Orchard

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for that! My client has just purchased a business licence for their two sites that use this. And today we’ve got the Eventbrite Tickets plugin for those two sites.

Just as an aside:
    Eventbrite were telling my client to paste the checkout javascript to the top of each single Event. That was causing two problems: It was breaking the formatting of the content in the Event’s description and Your calendar was rendering that java script in the event popup in the calendar. Just a heads -up in case other clients are seeing the same issues with Eventbrite events.

Cheers,
    Dave

Geoff B.

Good evening Dave,

I am glad this worked out in the end.

Thank you for the heads up about Eventbrite’s recommendation and its undesired effect. I will make sure I pass the info around to the team here.

Is there anything else I can help you with today ?

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

David Orchard

Geoff,

Yes there is actually!

So I’m using TEC Pro and EventBrite Tickets but I want to create my Events page with Divi and place the calendar shortcode among the Divi layout (which is why we bough the pro version).

The problem is the plugin completely overwrites the page I’ve built (/events) with it’s built-in slug. So all I see is the calendar. What can I do??

Thanks,
    Dave

Geoff B.

Hey there Dave,

Thank you for writing back.

I totally see what you are saying. The good news is that you can totally work around that.
    But first, let’s review how the Events Calendar works to avoid confusion.

1. The Events Calendar does not use a “real” page. Instead, it relies on a complex archive/redirect combination to work. To make a long story short, even if it does not create a “real” page it still needs exclusivity over the slugs defined under Events -> Settings -> General
    2. If you create a page that uses the same slug as the one defined under Events -> Settings -> General, it will get “overwritten” by the Events Calendar (as you have found out the hard way)

In a nutshell, the solution is to change the slug of either the Events Calendar itself (e.g.: /calendar) or of the page that contains the shortcode.

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

David Orchard

Hey Geoff,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Couple of issues with that:

1. I need an events list page (/events) and a calendar page (/events-calendar) both styled with Divi (and stipulated by the client). I’ve tried changing the events slug to something else but the /events page still just shows me a raw calendar (yes, flushed cache etc). How can I achieve this? What am I doing wrong? The theory makes sense though.
    2. It would be nice to be able to toggle this slug functionality on/off rather than be left with an indexable page that’s not styled or used. Suggestion for future update?

Thanks,
    Dave

David Orchard

Sorry #1 seems to have resolved itself. Must have been a caching issue.

It’s looking good!

Thanks,
    Dave

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Dave,

I am super stoked that you were able to fix issue 1.

As for the suggestion of toggling the slug on or off, I can totally see how that would be useful for SEO purposes. However, full disclosure, this will not be a small achievement.

I recommend suggesting it in our User Voice forum. That way other customers can vote for it!

Have a good weekend,

Geoff B.

David Orchard

Hey Geoff,

Quick question for you.

On my single event pages, I get a breadcrumb link at the top which takes me back to events. Problem is it actually
    takes me back to the ‘fake’ slug I created for the events (plural). See here:

http://theginlounge-com.stackstaging.com/event/create-your-own-gin-manchester/

Any way I can change that?

Appreciate your advice!
    Dave

Geoff B.

Good evening Dave,

You could achieve this in one of 2 ways:

1. Create a template override for the single event view. You might want to read our Themer’s guide to get a sense of how that works.
    2. Using a snippet

You could tweak apply the following snippet in the functions.php file of your theme (without the PHP tag at the top): https://gist.github.com/GeoffEW/070ad2cb22754c930a27a569077d859e

But first to be extra safe, before making any changes to your functions.php file, you should make a backup of that file.

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Shortcode for whole calendar’ is closed to new replies.