setting up on development server

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO setting up on development server

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Harbourne
    Participant

Dear Events Calendar

I have The Events Calendar Pro and Eventbrite Tickets
    I’m developing a new WordPress site on a different URL from where the live site is hosted.
    I’m new to EventBrite tickets.
    I’ve got to the stage where I want to enter all the events – dozens of them, which will need to be in the site when it goes live. I will be using paid tickets through your EventBrite plugin/extension.
    I’m assuming that as I enter events they will automatically be published to EventBrite.

Q. Can I do this on the site I’m developing, or should I install the plugins on the live site (deinstalling them from the development site) which has the correct URL? – and then, when the site goes live, deinstall them from the old site and reinstall them on the new one?

Q. I’m assuming that I have everything I need with these two plugins to sell tickets – or do I also need to purchase EventBrite tickets?

many thanks
    Jonathan

Geoff B.

Good evening Jonathan and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I would love to answer your questions.

I’m assuming that as I enter events they will automatically be published to EventBrite.

Yes, provided you have gone through the installation process correctly and connected to your EventBrite account: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/new-user-primer-eventbrite-tickets/

Q. Can I do this on the site I’m developing, or should I install the plugins on the live site (deinstalling them from the development site) which has the correct URL? – and then, when the site goes live, deinstall them from the old site and reinstall them on the new one?

This is a great question. You can totally run some tests while on the development server, but I would advise against creating all of your “real” tickets there. And, as you suggested, prior to migration, I would wipe the test tickets from your dev server.

There are a couple of reasons for that, but one of them is that Eventbrite does store some hardcode URL information in the process of the ticket sync.

As a result, the usual WordPress live migration techniques alone will not work properly for that specific aspect.

Q. I’m assuming that I have everything I need with these two plugins to sell tickets – or do I also need to purchase EventBrite tickets?

The answer is yes, that’s all you need. Although the Events Calendar Pro is actually not required for that specific purpose (but will work wonderfully nevertheless).

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Jonathan Harbourne
    Participant

thanks Geoff!

just to make sure I understand it correctly

The Events data is stored in the database of WordPress site. It sends this data through to EventBrite. I’ll need to enter the event data on the live site with the correct URL (not on the development site with a temporary URL, or the current live site which will be migrated to a new host). So I’ll have to wait until the new site is live before entering any event data (because data in the current live site, or in the development site will be lost)?

I was hoping to have all the events in there for when the site goes live, but if that’s not possible, I’ll just have to make sure there’s a team of people there to enter the event data as soon as the site goes live…?

Jonathan Harbourne
    Participant

I’ve figured it out! I’ve entered all my events in EventBrite – then once the site is live, I’ll import them into WordPress.

My issue is now resolved.

Geoff B.

Hey Jonathan,

I’m stoked the answer was helpful to you.

You are right. There are a couple of ways to link EventBrite and the Events Calendar together.
    It’s mostly a matter of finding the best approach for you.

For the record, what I was saying is that if you created EventBrite Tickets directly in the Events Calendar interface, then this would send some server specific URLs to the event in EventBrite.

In the context of a Dev website, it’s less than ideal.

I believe that your approach is the best. Create events in EventBrite directly and then import them in the Events Calendar.

You are welcome back on our support forums any time 🙂

For now, I am going to close this thread.

Have a great week!

Geoff B.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘setting up on development server’ is closed to new replies.