send email invite using .ical export

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO send email invite using .ical export

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Citizen LocalMotive
    Participant

Hi,

It would be helpful to have an “Email Invite” button on the event detail screen. Most of our users are non-technical, and we would prefer that they not have to download the .ical file, and attach it to a separate email. This would be a nice usability enhancement.

I am not sure how to get a handle on the .ical file to send it via email. Do you have any recommendations on how to approach this, whether writing custom PHP, an integrated WordPress plugin, or a specially crafted mailto link?

Thanks so much!

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi There!

Thanks for reaching out to us! Let me try to help you with this topic.

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you want to accomplish with the “Email Invite” button. Would this button send an email invite to an specific email address?

We handle all feature requests through our User Voice here > https://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas. I suggest you post that idea there so other users wanting the same functionality can vote for it and it can be taken into account for future feature releases of our plugins.

Please let me know if you need help elaborating this idea further and I’ll be happy to assist.

As for the ical file, you can always get that file by adding the following to the single event url:

?ical=1

so a single event URL like this one https://wpshindig.com/event/st-louis-wordpress-developers-meetup/2018-01-17/ should look like the following:

https://wpshindig.com/event/st-louis-wordpress-developers-meetup/2018-01-17/?ical=1

I hope that helps. Let me know more about the functionality and I’ll be happy to point you in the right direction as much possible.

Best,
    Victor

Citizen LocalMotive
    Participant

Thanks for the response! I had intended this as a how-to question, rather than a feature request. We thought about adding an “Email Invite” button to the detail screen in the area that allows us to add custom HTML. The idea would be to prompt users to enter a destination email address, with which to allow them to forward an invitation to an event. A “mailto:” link would allow the user to send on their own behalf using their preferred email client, but I don’t know how to include the .ical attachment in a mailto: link (even knowing the URL you mentioned for .ical export).

The “?ical=1” mostly answered my question, since at least, I can use that to access the .ical from PHP and send an email server side. But, if you know a better way, please let me know.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thanks for clearing that out.

First, please let me note that we are fairly limited in how much support we can give for custom development questions like that. That said, we always like helping out and at least point users into the right direction as much possible 🙂

You can create a mailto link so that it also includes data in the email subject and body. You might want to check out the following tool that allows you to create the mailto hyperlink easily > https://www.rapidtables.com/web/html/mailto.html

Does it help achieve what you are looking for? Let me know.

Best,
    Victor

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘send email invite using .ical export’ is closed to new replies.