Select Options from Many Choices.

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Select Options from Many Choices.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Justin
    Participant

I’m trying to build out a running race calendar.

I need users to be able to select race distances from a set group of options. Some events have multiple race distances. Filter Bar is creating sets of distances “50k|50m|100k” instead of allowing a checkbox of the field “50k” to be selected to show that race…

Essentially I think it’s the same thing that this woman needed: (https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/need-to-filter-on-single-instances-of-checkbox-additional-field/)

She found a work around, but I don’t know what that was.

I have this problem for my custom fields of Race Distance and for the field of Course Description.

I have reviewed the instructions @ (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/creating-custom-filters-for-filter-bar/) … It seems I’ll need to learn how to code to do any of that…I know how to edit things with CSS but that’s about it. I can copy/paste with a strong set of step by step instructions.

Any chance that could exist for this? I’m honestly a little blown away a solution for this filter isn’t included as it’s a very common need for a variety of events.

The end result would be the same functionality as this sites search (http://ultrasignup.com/events/search.aspx)

Thank you!
    Justin

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

Thanks for reaching out! Let me try to help you with this one.

So, I did some testing based on your post and the sample site you shared. This is what I did and what I got:

Under Events > Settings > Additional Fields tab I created a checkbox field with the distances: https://cloudup.com/cAnxYW1KYKb

On the event page this gives me the checkboxes for the different distances, so you can select more: https://cloudup.com/c395PKFMoL2

Under Events > Settings > Filters tab I added ‘Swimming’ to the filter bar and set the type to be checkboxes: https://cloudup.com/cA-63A8ETqD

On the front-end this gives me the checkboxes in the filterbar: https://cloudup.com/cXy7U8bMrwv

Is this what you would like to achieve?

Cheers,
    Andras

Justin
    Participant

Hello András,

Thank you for your reply and your willingness to help!

The issue is that

an event

may have 1 (or more) distances available.

Our issue is that when an event has

more than 1

distance then the filter creates additional result (example:

Race 1 = 5M (this race only offers 1 distance)
    Race 2 = 5M + 10M (this race offers 2 distances to choose from)
    Race 3 = 5M or 10M or 100M (this race offers 3 distances to choose from)

Currently this would mean that the Filter Results in the following options:
    5M
    5M | 10M (<—- we don’t want this!)
    5M | 10M | 100M (<—- or this!)
    10M
    100M

We need the Filter Results to only return only the options we included in our additional fields:
    5M
    10M
    100M

If this True then if a user selects:
    5M then the filter would return Race 1 & Race 2 & Race 3
    10M then the filter would return Race 2 & Race 3
    100M then the filter would return Race 3

Make Sense?

This type of scenario is very common in all kinds of athletic events and it’s surprising to us that it wasn’t built into the plugin.

Thank you so much for your help. I suggest this feature be included in future releases of Filter Bar.

Sincerely,
    Justin

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Justin,

That makes absolute sense and thank you for your time to create such a detailed explanation! Much appreciated!

The additional fields and the filters in Filter Bar should indeed work like how you would like to.

I have created a screen recording to show you how I achieved it. You can take a look at it here:

And I forgot to include how the filter bar is set, that one is here:

I hope this helps, let me know.

Cheers,
    Andras

Justin
    Participant

Hi András,

Thanks for the video, that’s so interesting…

My data was all populated using an import from a .csv file exported from MS Excel version 16.12 for Mac…

My original export was using the file type: “Comma Separated Values” and using a bar vertical bar between values…

In my events each value was correctly selected in my Additional Event Fields but in my search results it was showing the groupings with the bar.. (as in my photos previously attached)…

After watching your video I decided to delete my events and re-import them… Only this time I used the file type called “Macintosh Comma Separated”. This seemed to solve the problem.

Maybe something to further test on your end.

Justin
    Participant

Hi András,

I think I spoke too soon. I’m having a hard time re-creating the success I thought I had earlier.

I’m working with a newer data-set and trying to import the csv with no luck.

I can get the correct variables checked in the radio boxes on the event management page but on the /calendars/ page with the filter I continually get full set (ie. 50k|50m|100m) instead of only the individual distances…

I have no idea what I’m doing wrong with the csv file or the import.

example CSV file attached…

Justin
    Participant

I should also add that if I de-select each distance, save and then re-select each distance, save then it works correctly.

Only I can’t do this as my initial import once we’re ready to launch will have 5000+ rows.. (events).

Thanks,
    Justin

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

I checked your file and import.

I believe this is a glitch on our side. I will file a bugticket for this so our developers can take a look at it.

As for now I don’t really have a workaround for this, I’m sorry. The only way to fix this is to open and re-save the events.

I know that 5000+ is a lot, if you allow me here’s how I would do it to make it somewhat faster than opening them one-by-one.

• use Ctrl + click, that will open the events in a new tab
    • open 5-10 at a time
    • use Ctrl + Tab to switch between the tabs
    • you position your mouse over the publish button and
    • Click, Ctrl + Tab, Click, Ctrl + Tab …
    • after all tabs saved, close them and open another 5-10
    • you can use Ctrl + w to close a tab

Here’s a short screencast example I did. I used Ctrl + click when I clicked on ‘edit’, Ctrl + Tab to switch tabs and Ctrl + w to close them when the indicator in the tab stopped (meaning saving is ready).

If you are using a Mac, then it is likely Cmd + key.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aqh6lbOjUW1T8XWF-mhox835GUHS

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.

I am going to set the status of this ticket to “pending fix” and we will update it once the fix is released.

If you have any new questions or issues please create a new ticket and we’ll help you out.

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Justin
    Participant

Hi András,

Thanks for the follow-up! If there is any way to determine an ETA on the fix or where it is in priority that would be great to know.

In the meantime I’m going to upload a couple months so I can continue with dev/testing of other things. Hopefully there is a fix before we go live.

Cheers,
    Justin

Barry

We’ll post an update as soon as we know, but I’m afraid we can’t really offer a timeline for the fix at this stage.

Justin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Justin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Justin
    Participant

Hi András,

I guess hold off on the refund for now. I’m looking into other solutions but will additionally write up a short list of 1-2 additional things I’m trying to get accomplished with this.

If we can work through those together this tool may be the best result for us.

More to come…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘Select Options from Many Choices.’ is closed to new replies.