need to filter on single instances of checkbox Additional Field

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar need to filter on single instances of checkbox Additional Field

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Hi there – I’m importing baseball tournaments and have a checkbox Additional Field for Age Group. Each baseball tournament has multiple age groups and I’ve gotten those imported properly to populate the correct checkboxes for each tourney.

I need the Filter Bar to show each age group as a separate option that visitors can select. Right now, the individual options in Filter Bar for Age Group are the list of age groups selected for each tourney.

For example:
    The Age Group additional field checkbox options are 8U, 9U, 10U. Tournament A has 8U checked off. Tournament B has 8U, 9U, and 10U checked off.

The current Filter Bar options are:
    8U|9U|10U
    8U
    (See attached screenshot)

I need the Filter Bar options to be:
    8U
    9U
    10U
    etc.
    so that visitors can check off all the age groups they are interested in viewing. And if an Event has that age group checked off on the Age Group field, it would show in the filter results.

Is this possible? Or do I need to change the Age Group to a category? I already have Event Category in use. Will ECP let me add another category and filter on that as described above?

thanks

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

I believe that the easiest way for you to do this would be to change the Age Group filters to individual age groups, so that you do not have to add an additional filter.  This way, visitors can check all that apply and events will be filtered accordingly.

Alternatively, you can add Age Group as a parent category, and then add each age group as child category if you want.

Let me know if you need any further information!

Thanks,

Jaime

Chris
    Participant

Hi Jaime – Thank you so much for your reply. I know y’all are swamped after being away last week.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean in the first paragraph about “change the Age Group filters to individual age groups”. Are you saying I need to change the Age Group Additional Field to some format other than checkbox? How then would I add multiple values for each event?

I’m not seeing what you are talking about on the Filter Bar so I’m a bit confused. The Filter Bar created those options I mentioned above on its own, based on the fact that my events contained those combinations of age groups.

thanks,
    Chris

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Chris.

Hi Chris,

Okay, now I understand that these filters were automatically generated by Filter Bar.  In that case, you can create a custom filter for Filter Bar using the following tutorial:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/creating-custom-filters-for-filter-bar/

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any further clarification!

Thanks,

Jaime

Chris
    Participant

Hi Jaime – I have to say that this is one of the things that makes me crazy
    about TEC – you have to be a developer to customize pretty much everything.
    This is why I’ve purchased twice previously and gotten refunds twice
    previously. But I really need this to work this time so I’ll have to figure
    it out.

Question: if I use Categories instead, I end up with two parent categories:
    Event Type and Age Group. Both of these show in the Categories filter on
    Filter Bar. The logic for multiple choices is “or” so if I check Event
    Type=Tournament and Age Group=8U, I get ALL Tournaments and ALL 8U events.
    I want the result to be events that are BOTH Tournament and 8U. How do I
    change this logic to “and”?

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback.  I’ll try to assist you further to help you to achieve the results that you are looking for.  Can you share a screenshot of what you are working on?  You should be able to select multiple categories within the Filter Bar at one time.  Are you seeing different results?  Is this the functionality that you are looking for?

Let me know!

Thanks,

Jaime

Chris
    Participant

Never mind. I found a workaround for this.

thanks,
    Chris

Glad you were able to figure things out, you are welcome back in our support forums any time!

Since you marked this thread as Resolved, I am going to close this thread.

Have a great week!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘need to filter on single instances of checkbox Additional Field’ is closed to new replies.