Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    veruska
    Participant

The account is actually under a Shared Hosting environment, not VPS, with 1 assigned IP. Not sure if this is going to make a difference or not…

veruska
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

OK.

So there’s been a bit of confusion in the course of this thread but my best guess is simply that other sites hosted on the same server are also making use of Google’s geolocation API and the request limit is being exceeded.

The account is actually under a Shared Hosting environment, not VPS, with 1 assigned IP.

Well, I’m not sure you have a unique IP address there – a quick bit of research shows a great number of domains sharing the same address.

In summary then – best I can tell – this is not a bug in our plugin, it’s just that Google is imposing some reasonable restrictions which are being exceeded by all the combined websites that run on the same server.

Would you (or your developers) be able to obtain your own Google Maps API key? We could then investigate some changes to help you use it.

mamothgroup
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hi mamothgroup – you are more than welcome to follow this thread but I notice you don’t have map view enabled and nor is the location search field available – so I wonder if it isn’t a slightly different issue in your case (unless you have already established that your site is exceeding Google’s API limits).

In either case, it’s usually best to create a fresh thread of your own where one of the team can assist and tailor support to your specific situation. Thanks!

@veruska
    – how are you getting on here? Did the questions in my last reply make sense and is there anything else we can do for you here?

veruska
    Participant

Barry,
    We are still left without a solution. We did in fact setup a copy of the site on a dedicated server – and we found no issue with the API limits. So it does seem to indicate Google’s restriction given it’s on a shared hosting account. It also seems Google is not willing to setup a business account intended for such limited use (at least initially, with little traffic).

So it seems we’re at a dead-end, we cannot use this plugin because we’re on a shared server, which seems odd given most websites also use shared hosting. Do you have ANY insights or solutions for us? It’s simply not economically feasible to dish out the funds required for a dedicated solution – all the other features on our website work.

Barry

So it seems we’re at a dead-end, we cannot use this plugin because we’re on a shared server, which seems odd given most websites also use shared hosting.

In terms of who your “neighbours” are it’s something of a lucky draw when it comes to shared hosting. In the short term, perhaps your host could migrate your site to a different physical box and so open the possibility that you will be housed alongside sites that make low or no use of Google’s API.

That’s obviously not ideal and potentially is a hit-and-miss type of solution so another option – though I’m not sure what your budget is – is a VPS.

VPSs complete with a unique IP address are fairly economical these days (offering some of the advantages of a dedicated server without the drawbacks of traditional shared hosting accounts) and might offer you an alternative to the expense of a true dedicated server if you are unable to set up an API key of your own for Google Maps.

Might that be worth exploring?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The topic ‘Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events’ is closed to new replies.