Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    veruska
    Participant

My web designer installed the plugin as per your instructions and ran some tests, but it didn’t help. He says he suspects your plugin is not connecting with Google Maps, since the addresses are correct.

Barry

OK – so did you/was he able to see a coordinates metabox in the right hand side of the venue editor, or was that not present? If it was present what were the longitude and latitude values – blank?

veruska
    Participant

Yes, there’s a box – and it’s blank. We tried several venues, nothing.

Barry

OK. That tends to suggest to me that the plugin is unable to communicate with Google’s Map/Geolocation API.

It sounds like you’re unlikely to have exceeded any query limits … but I wonder if other sites on the same server may have done so. Can you tell me any details about your hosting plan – is it shared hosting? Who is the provider and what is the package?

Do you by any chance have an alternative hosting account with another provider where you can run a test? I appreciate you may not, but if you do it could make for an interesting test.

My thinking is this: we do know that generally this functionality works and the exceptions have been where addresses were malformed, sites exceeded Google’s query limits (which could in fact be the problem here, if you’re in a shared hosting environment, even if your own site hasn’t generated too many queries by itself) or communication has otherwise been hindered – either by network issues or conflicts with other plugins/a theme.

That last point is definitely worth exploring. I do see you tried deactivating all other themes already – but did you/can you now try repeating that and additionally deactivate your theme and switch to Twenty Thirteen or some other default theme and see if that resolves this?

Thanks!

veruska
    Participant

Just heard from my web designer that more tests have been performed on their side and they assured me that it limitation on Google Maps is not the cause. They tested on different servers and the problem remains the same. Unfortunately it is a bug, just 7 days before my previously scheduled “Go Live” day.

Barry

OK – but it’s not something we’re seeing many reports of and cannot replicate ourselves. So it’s possible it is indeed a bug, but right now I’m reluctant to accept that is the case. Can you confirm the answer to my previous question?

That last point is definitely worth exploring. I do see you tried deactivating all other themes already – but did you/can you now try repeating that and additionally deactivate your theme and switch to Twenty Thirteen or some other default theme and see if that resolves this?

Thanks!

moonbridge
    Participant

This reply is private.

moonbridge
    Participant

This reply is private.

veruska
    Participant

Hello, I am posting as the web designer for the website, on behalf of Veruska.

We are still struggling thru this issue with the Events plugin and google maps. We were able to run the plugin when isolated from our main theme, which uses Google Maps API as well. However, I simply fail to see how our other theme (A directory theme, PremiumPress) can simply max out Google Maps, thus far the website receives few visitors (it is not live yet) and therefore few queries which would strain Map’s limitations. Are there any other suggestions you have? It’s not viable at this point for us to run each function separately (directory and events) just for the sake of the search feature for Events.

Barry

Hi moonbridge, thanks for posting. You’re more than welcome to monitor this thread but, to avoid confusion, if you need direct support I’d ask that you post a new thread of your own – thanks 🙂

However, I simply fail to see how our other theme (A directory theme, PremiumPress) can simply max out Google Maps, thus far the website receives few visitors (it is not live yet) and therefore few queries which would strain Map’s limitations. Are there any other suggestions you have? It’s not viable at this point for us to run each function separately (directory and events) just for the sake of the search feature for Events.

It may not be maxing things out, as such, it may simply be a more “mundane” type of conflict. Is everything in terms of maps/geolocations working ok re PremiumPress or is that also broken whilst activated side-by-side with The Events Calendar/Events Calendar PRO?

Also, have you reached out to the authors of that plugin to ask if they have any pre-existing knowledge of this conflict (could be worth a shot) and would you further be able to make a copy available for us so we can run a quick test?

Thanks!

veruska
    Participant

No, Maps is working perfectly fine whilst using PremiumPress. Yes we can provide a copy. Link forthcoming (will obtain authorization from admin first)

Barry

Sure – and feel free to share the download link by private reply if you prefer 🙂

veruska
    Participant

This reply is private.

veruska
    Participant

This is our developer teams assessment on the matter, with some screenshots included as links.

++++++++++++++++++++
    We have attempted to debug the issue regarding the missing latitude and longitude meta values in Venues.

Google is returning error message : “You have exceeded daily request quota for this API.”

We are regularly getting that same message even though traffic on the site is very low – as it is not yet live.

Google Map geocode api has limit of 2500 requests per day and we are certain we are not exceeding this limit.

This is on a VPS host and no other application on the server is using this API apart from The Event Calendar plugin, so this too is not contributing to the daily limit.

Please find screenshot link below..

event_map_code.png is snapshot of code segment where we have printed debug code, to verify actual response received from google.
    This code segment is from file events-calendar-pro/lib/tribe-geoloc.class.php function name : save_venue_geodata
    http://brasileirinho.com/event_map_code.png

event_debug.png is the debug output showing google error message.
    http://brasileirinho.com/event_debug.png

Regardless of activity on site (only several users at once, at most), Google always returns this exceeded limit message.

Please advise.

Barry

Thanks for providing the login – that may be useful – however I was hoping to obtain a copy of your theme as based on your previous replies it sounded like that was pivotal to the existence of this issue.

Can you confirm if you still believe that to be the case (ie, the exceeded quota error disappears when you switch to a default theme) and perhaps provide a copy of the theme if so?

This is on a VPS host and no other application on the server is using this API apart from The Event Calendar plugin, so this too is not contributing to the daily limit.

Though unusual, it’s not technically impossible for multiple VPSs to share a single IP address which may mean a different site not in your control is impacting. Can you confirm with your host if this might be the case.

To summarize:

• Is this definitely a problem that only occurs when using your PremiumPress theme?
    • Can you confirm your VPS has a unique IP address (I expect it does, but it’s worth covering our bases here)

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • The topic ‘Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events’ is closed to new replies.