Search Hangs & Media Gallery Hangs

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Search Hangs & Media Gallery Hangs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Wendy Limauge
    Participant

I am having these issues just today after I tried to add some customizations to the functions.php file and also added the “Remove Export Links” plugin.

1. My media library in grid view will not load, greyed out and spins but does work in list view
    2. When you try to search the calendar it just hangs and the timer just spins.
    3. I can’t remove a featured image. Clicking the link does nothing
    4. I can’t add a featured image using the media library.

http://connecticutlifestyles.com/events

I removed all customizations and disabled that plugin. I contacted my web host but they can’t find the problem. They do see a call to the database when they try to use the calendar search but it hangs. They also restarted mySQL without any results. I also disabled all Event Calendar plugins and it did not restore the media gallery.

I really need a solution because I have been searching and talking to my host for 2 hours with no result. The calendar is the cause of these issues because it is the only change I have made to my site today. The only solution my host came up with was to do a restore back to Oct 17 which would whip out blog posts and other work and I prefer not to do that. I also do not want to revert back to the default theme you mention because people are on my site all day and it may cause issues with the other setup I have installed. I have used this theme for almost 5 years without any issues.

Cliff

Hi again, Wendy.

I visited your Month View and saw this console error:

Image 2017-10-23 at 9.46.17 PM.png

(If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

I’d recommend looking into where that aax_getad_mpb is coming from in your custom code or from another plugin.

Please let me know what you find out.

Wendy Limauge
    Participant

I took a look and that is my Adsense/Amazon ad code so it should look that way. I look at one of my other sites and it’s pretty much the same code.

I also noted that if I click or tap the “next month” or “next event” links it also hangs

Since it seems to have happened after I added the customization and since I have removed all of that from functions.php why would it still be acting this way?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Wendy Limauge.
    Wendy Limauge
    Participant

Okay, well after trial and error I finally decided to disable the theme and put it back to Twenty Fifteen and I also tested Twenty Twelve. That made it all work again and nothing hangs. So now what do I do? I don’t want to change my entire site for this calendar and everything worked perfectly until I started adding the customizations. But, I have removed all of those so why doesn’t it work?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Wendy Limauge.
    Wendy Limauge
    Participant

I also went ahead and tested the Adsense/Amazon code issue. I removed both ads from the header and one on the sidebar and retested and the hang problem still exists. It seems to be the theme issue but I don’t know how to remedy it without wiping everything out and doing a restore, which also means I lose all of my blog posts from the last week and all of the 148 calendar entries I inputted.

Cliff

1)

We’re definitely not going to lose posts or events! That’s what a CMS like WordPress is for — so that you can change a theme and not lose your posts. (I’m not saying you’ll have to change this theme.)

2)

Your AdSense / Amazon tracking codes should not produce JavaScript console errors. It may be the correct text but you likely need to wrap it in an HTML tag of some kind.

If just one JavaScript error exists, it can throw off all of a page’s functionality (not just our plugin).

When you tested removing that tracking code, your site and/or browser may have been cached and therefore actually still loading your tracking code.

How is this tracking code being added to your pages–via your theme’s functions.php file or a plugin?

3)

When you tested with Twenty Fifteen and everything worked, did you have all the same plugins activated and did you have your tracking code in place?

4)

everything worked perfectly until I started adding the customizations

Exactly which customizations and were they all added to your theme’s functions.php file?

If yes, you can remove them as a process of elimination to figure out the culprit and then I can help you further from there.

Wendy Limauge
    Participant

This reply is private.

Wendy Limauge
    Participant

Oh, at this point I have removed all of that code in functions.php and removed details.php.

I also found out my host can restore my site back to the 22nd before I made these changes. I just don’t want to lose my blog posts, which you said I wouldn’t, and the 148 calendar entries I already inputted. I would probably lose all of my settings in the calendar if I revert back and have to start the color/layout process all over again correct?

Cliff

If you use a restore service, you will lose Posts and Events and other data.

If you switch themes, you won’t.

Of course, we always recommend restorable database and file backups before modifying anything on your site.

===

Please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG (which will create a file on your server at /wp-content/debug.log if there are any WP_DEBUG messages) and share any debug messages you see while trying to replicate this issue and doing other things on your site relevant to this ticket (such as visiting your site’s home page, events page, single-event pages, and anything else you can think to do).

Wendy Limauge
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

This reply is private.

Wendy Limauge
    Participant

Okay, well I went ahead and changed the theme to something more modern and now everything works 🙂 I will play around with adding the customizations again to see if they work and if things don’t hang up I will come back and mark this solved. It won’t be for a day or so though.

Thanks for your help.

Cliff

Sounds good. No rush on my end, but please note that threads get Closed automatically after a couple weeks of inactivity. If it does get Closed too soon for you, please open a new thread, adding your current problem description and also linking back to this thread.

Thank you!

Wendy Limauge
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG (which will create a file on your server at /wp-content/debug.log if there are any WP_DEBUG messages) and share any debug messages you see.

If you see any debug messages, you should resolve those first. Once you don’t have anymore, you should re-add your custom code and then you should get one or more debug messages. If you look at them carefully, you should see the file (functions.php) and the line number of that file that is causing problems.

Please let me know what you find out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Search Hangs & Media Gallery Hangs’ is closed to new replies.