Safe to upgrade Events Calendar Pro to 3.5.x?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Safe to upgrade Events Calendar Pro to 3.5.x?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    redbarn
    Participant

Hi all,
    Any advice regarding this upgrade. Is it safe, or should I wait until 3.5.2?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rick

Webmaster
    Participant

My vote is no. I am awaiting a fix that is currently on p2 of the forum:
    https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/urgent-updated-plugin-shuts-down-admin-panel/

If your browse recent posts you will see lots of reports to the 3.5 update. I can barely revert back to 3.4 without errors at this point- my plugins are disabled.

roosites
    Participant

Definitely NO. I upgraded. When I did I could no longer get to my dashboard and it created a bunch of dupes. I had to disable the plugin and luckily had a full backup I could upload and could get back the previous version. But the dupes remain. Releasing these updates before they are ready is poor business. Can you at least tell us how to get rid of the dupes?

Casey
    Participant

Hey everyone! As best practices, you should always make backups of your files and database before updating anything. We are actively working on the issue that gohwebmaster referenced, and have a beta hotfix that seems to be fixing the issue for most users so far.

We’ll keep you all updated as the situation progresses. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

justeverything
    Participant

I upgraded and now cannot access my site at all. I have no idea how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Hey folks, thanks for your feedback and comments here. We appreciate the feedback and apologize that some of you have encountered difficulties with the new codebase. We’re here to help as best we can.

That said, it is sort of concerning to see these remarks…we’ve had thousands of users apply the update to 3.5 so far without any significant issues, so if I were a betting man I’d wager there was something on your specific environments that is causing conflicts. Not to say it isn’t something we can help with; but I caution against dramatic blanket statements that don’t factor in realities of the upgrade and plugin development process. Comments about “releasing updates before they are ready”, for example, are ignoring the fact that we spent literally dozens of hours QAing this release before it shipped. Sadly there is no way to catch everything…particularly fringe situations that impact only some users. We release knowing the community will report certain issues to us that arise in use cases we don’t test for, and we’ll patch those as quickly as possible.

The admin panel issue, as Casey alluded to, is something that is impacting a small percentage of users and we’re looking to apply a hotfix for now (as you can see by this thread, the solution has already worked for one user: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/3-5-freezes-out-admin-area/#post-126782). If there are other items that exist on your radar please pose those as separate threads, with specific steps to recreate, and we’ll do our best to get those sorted. Comments like this which skew the broader community’s perception – after all, many users have had no problems with this new build – aren’t particularly productive for anyone.

Thanks, and please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly ([email protected]) if you have further feedback or questions here.

alexhammerstein
    Participant

At this moment I would say a definite NO! There seem to be some serious issues with the update. I will readily accept that it must be a nightmare to try and make the plugin compatible with all others, but presumably if everyone followed the same standards then they would work.
    My problems since upgrading are:
    1. Events that appear in the Admin area are not being displayed in month view.
    2. Events not appears in chronological order
    3. In List view, when moving forward to the following month, events just appearing at random
    4. Recurring events being duplicated for no apparent reason
    5. Sudden combinations on plugins stopping admins from logging in

I find it hard to believe that the sudden jump in issues being reported are all down to people having unusual configurations – presumably everyone has a more or less unique configurations.

Alex

Rob

Hey alexhammerstein. Thanks for the follow-up here. You make some great points, and I appreciate you summarizing these issues.

As I mentioned in my last note there is definitely a hotfix coming very soon (sometime today) which should address #1, 4 and 5 from your list. #s 2 and 3 are new to me and not something we’re seeing widespread reports of, so I would wager that those are related somehow to your specific environment. While I see you say that you find it hard to believe these are related to configurations, the fact is that if these really were problems impacting everyone we’d have both caught those in our pre-launch QA and would have seen a flood of reports on them since launch. If you’re willing to post them as separate threads we’ll do our best to get you sorted — and get those logged as bug tickets if we can confirm they’re legitimate problems in the codebase.

Thanks in advance!

redbarn
    Participant

Thanks all!
    Do appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. For the time being I’ll hold off on the update until the dust settles.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Safe to upgrade Events Calendar Pro to 3.5.x?’ is closed to new replies.