RSS or other means to broadcast event titles and dates

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions RSS or other means to broadcast event titles and dates

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Greg

Hi, I’m interested in the Pro version of this plugin for a university website. I have an instance of wordpress running that acts as our news archive page, and also re-feeds each categories’ news back to our main website via RSS. I’d like to be able to do a similar thing with a calendar. Display info from the calendar on the main website homepage, and category specific events for various sub units of our organization (again I’m already doing this for news feeds through RSS). Visitors to our website will be directed to the WordPress site for more information or event sign-up etc. Can it be done? Thx -Greg

Rob

Hi there Greg. Thanks for reaching out here, and for your interest in the PRO release. Apologies that we took a few days to get you a response…we generally don’t hit the forums too actively on the weekends.

You could do most if not all of what you’re going for, but it wouldn’t be with RSS feeds…the feeds that the calendar comes with at this point are pretty basic and operate more as if these were regular blog posts (listing them by published date) than events. We’ve got that as something on the books to change for a future release but it is what it is for now.

However, have you checked out our template tag documentation at https://theeventscalendar.com/support/documentation ? With template tags you can decide what event data displays on various pages throughout your site, beyond just the /events page.

Let me know if you’re still having issues from there and I’ll try to point you in the right direction.

Nicole
    Participant

I’ve read several posts with RSS issues and I’m having them as well. RSS is SUPER important to have correct!! We send out broadcast emails to our users via RSS feeds to keep them updated on events and this has been a nightmare to setup!

Rob

Hey there Nicole. Thanks for the note here. Yes, the RSS feeds in the current release are intentionally pretty bare bones…when we developed the plugin there was very little demand from the community for full detailed RSS feeds, but now that 2.0 has launched and we’ve seen a wave of new customers over the past 6 months this has become a pretty frequently requested feature.

While I don’t have a specific timetable, know that this is on our radar as something we’re working to address and we’ll hopefully have more substantive RSS feeds sometime soon. My apologies for the inconvenience in the interim though. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts on this or if we can do anything else.

Bob

Hey Rob, found this post and have a quick question. From your first response, it looks like events go out as a regular post on the RSS feed. Is this just the pro version. I am using the free version and notice my events haven’t gone out even as regular posts.

Joyce Grace

Hi Bob, I think I gave you the link to answer your question in your other post: https://theeventscalendar.com/how-to-add-events-to-your-rss-feed/ Let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

Bob

Perfect, exactly what I wanted and worked like a charm!

Rob

Glad to hear this did the trick, Bob. Also awesome to see you here on the forums 🙂 Let us know if you need anything else down the road.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘RSS or other means to broadcast event titles and dates’ is closed to new replies.