Right plugin for us?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Right plugin for us?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Emily

I’m trying to decide if this is the plugin I want to use on my site for an upcoming conference this summer. We want a way to nicely display our workshop offerings, but it would also be great if we could use it to display all the different options for afternoon activities. This would include dozens of options on the same day.

• Would this display nicely?
    • Could we sort by category so that different categories of options could be displayed on different pages?
    • Can location be used for rooms within a facility or only on a map?
    • Can I import events from a csv?
    • Can attachments be added to event descriptions so, for instance, if there is a handout for workshop attendees, that can be included in the event?
    • Can there be an archive of past events so that if people want to access those handouts afterward, they can still get to them?
    • Our website is tri-lingual. I see in your documents that this plugin is translated, but can it be used tri-lingually at the same time? We use qTranslate Plus.

Thanks!

George
    Participant

Hey Emily!

Thanks for reaching out to us, and for even considering The Events Calendar as on option for your project.

Before addressing each of your points, one thing worth pointing out is that the core version of The Events Calendar itself is totally free on wordpress.org → https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/

I mention this because it might really helpful for you to install this free plugin and play around with it yourself, particularly for your questions about how the calendar looks itself. You can check out our demo site at http://wpshindig.com/ and explore the appearance and functionality of the calendar, and also install the free version and see how it looks on your site.I hope that helps!

Now, on to your specific questions.

Could we sort by category so that different categories of options could be displayed on different pages?

You can definitely categorize events uniquely, and then sort by these categories to only show events in the selected category. Our official Filter Bar add-on does this beautifully. But for showing different “categories of options”, as you describe it, I’m not 100% sure what you mean – if you mean that events in certain categories will have different information showing for them, then this might be possible to do with the PRO add-on’s “Additional Fields” functionality, and then just only using certain fields for certain categories. You can read about this “Additional Fields” functionality in depth here → https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/pro-additional-fields/

Can location be used for rooms within a facility or only on a map?

By default there isn’t support for locations of events within another location like you mention here, but the above-mentioned “Additional Fields” features may be useful here as well.

Can I import events from a csv?

Yes! 🙂 This is included even in the free version of the plugin off of wordpress.org, so you can download that for free and play around with this directly if you’re interested in doing so.

Can attachments be added to event descriptions so, for instance, if there is a handout for workshop attendees, that can be included in the event?

There isn’t default support for this within The Events Calendar, but WordPress itself offers quite flexible support for attachments. With that and a bit of custom coding, you could pull this off for sure. For example, you could upload event materials to your WordPress site in the “Media Library” page of your admin. Then, copy the download link for the file. Then, you could create one of the aforementioned “Additional Fields” for storing this URL in the relevant event or events – and finally, from there, you could add just a bit of custom code to display this link on an event’s decsription – or anywhere else on your site related to that event!

Can there be an archive of past events so that if people want to access those handouts afterward, they can still get to them?

Yes, this should not be an issue – when event passes, it will wholly exist on your site, and be searchable, filterable by category, etc. The only difference is the event will have some text in its information section saying “Event Passed” – but the materials would indeed still be downloadable.

Our website is tri-lingual. I see in your documents that this plugin is translated, but can it be used tri-lingually at the same time? We use qTranslate Plus.

I unfortunately do not know if qTranslate itself would be totally compatible here, though it should be – The Events Calendar uses completely standards-compliant gettext translation functions that are used within WordPress, so any translation system or plugin that works fine with that system should, in theory, work fine with The Events Calendar.

There’s a lot of information here, I hope it’s helpful! Some of your specific questions would require a bit of custom coding, which we don’t officially offer support for, but hopefully the documentation I’ve shared and such is useful in your decision-making here.

Let us know what you think and if you have any other questions or concerns!

Thanks Emily

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Right plugin for us?’ is closed to new replies.