Repeating Events Import

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Repeating Events Import

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Matthew
    Participant

Hey guys,
    Great plugin, love how it works.
    One problem a client of mine is now facing is importing events from eventbrite (40+ events). Some of them are repeating events.

What happens is:
    Start date is correct, but the end date for the event is the end date of the last repeating event. This means some events appear to span over a long period of time.

Any suggestions for this?

Rob

Hey Matthew. Thanks for the note here, and for the heads up – sorry to hear your client is encountering this issue. Do you have a sample Event from this pattern that I can import to test this on my local install? I’ve been unable to recreate thus far but it may be something to do with the event details. If you could also share me your specific timezone settings (as configured under Settings -> General) I’ll set mine to recreate those too, so I can troubleshoot accordingly.

Cheers!

Matthew
    Participant

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply 🙂

I am using:
    – The Events Calendar Pro (V2.06)
    – The Events Calendar: Eventbrite Tickets(V1.00)
    – Timezone is set to “Sydney”

In Eventbrite:
    – Timezone “Canberra, Melb, Sydney”
    – Yes, this event repeats
    – It repeats “Other”
    – Next event starts on: 23/6/2012 at 9am
    – Next event ends on 14/10/2012 at 4:30pm
    – Event dates:
    -23/06/2012 9:00 AM to 24/06/2012 4:30 PM
    -13/10/2012 9:00 AM to 14/10/2012 4:30 PM

Oh….and I think I just figured out the problem whist typing all this in…..I need the pro version of Events Calendar for recurring events!

(Maybe a nice alert when importing a recurring event on the Events Calendar might save a few others this issue…..if this is what it is 🙂 )

Thanks again!

Matthew
    Participant

Hi,

I have installed Calendar Pro and it still does not seem to work.

It looks like Calendar Pro does not support the Eventbrite “Other” setting of individual dates.

The issue can be replicated by adding repeating events that repeat on certain dates. i.e:

– 13/08/2012 9:00 AM to 15/08/2012 4:30 PM
    – 12/11/2012 9:00 AM to 14/11/2012 4:30 PM

It seems to only import 1 instance of the event, with the first start date and the final end date.

Andrew
    Participant

I’m having the same problem with repeating events.
    My eventbrite event id is 3421968199.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Rob

Hi guys: if I understand correctly, it looks like the problem you’re both faced with is the inability for recurring events to import as such from Eventbrite (or vice versa: recurrence patterns not going to EB as a recurrence). Correct me if I’m wrong there.

Otherwise, this is unfortunately a limit of the Eventbrite API and not something we have control over. We added a note onto the event creation screen on your WP site that says this so users will not get confused. But basically until Eventbrite’s API allows for recurrence our plugin will just treat any recurring event as an individual one.

That help? Let me know if you’re still having issues there and I can keep looking into it as needed.

Matthew
    Participant

Yep, this is exactly the problem I am having.

I have been trying to work on a workaround for it, however it looks like Events Calendar Pro does not support Repeating events on custom dates. ie. Repeat August 21st – 22nd then again November 22nd – 25th.

The only work around seems to be creating multiple events then creating a page before the events saying “Click here for the August Event” & “Click here for the November Event” each linking to their own Event in WordPress. This keeps the calender showing things correctly. It means these events cannot be linked to Eventbrite unless we remove all the events and add each recurring event as a single event 🙁

Could I suggest as a work around (as I am sure others will have this same issue) that Event Calendar allow Manual additions to the Events registered with EventBrite. i.e allowing us to say the event Runs on August 22nd – 24th and November 22nd – 24th. I understand this information cannot be pulled from Eventbrite, but even the ability to manually add this to synced events for the purpose of displaying the calendar of events correctly would be a life saved.

Cheers
    Matthew

Rob

Hey Matthew. Thanks for the follow-up here. You are correct that at this point, our most complex recurrence patterns are those available under the “Custom” area in the dropdown. That being said we are definitely aware of the need for more complex recurrence patterns (it’s one of the most requested features since we launched 2.0) and have those on the radar for 2.1.

The method you’ve suggested about creating a page is a neat workaround that probably is the best solution…either that, or reviewing the documentation at https://theeventscalendar.com/support/documentation to find a way to query and display events from the specific date ranges you want.

You can send recurring events to Eventbrite, but they just create a single event given the limitations of Eventbrite’s API. But your suggested work around for adding manual additions: can you elaborate on this? It sounds like a solid suggestion that I’d like to bring to the dev team. From what I can see looking at Eventbrite’s event creation page, you’re saying essentially a WP-side equivalent of this (http://d.pr/i/Cem8)?

Graeme
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m new to The Events Calendar and to Eventbrite. I am building a website for a busy live music venue and need to create numerous events for the same band through the year. I looked at The Events Calendar in detail before choosing it and believed I had a crafty workaround regarding recurring events.

I thought I could set the event up in Eventbrite and then import the events via the WP TEC control panel but I hit exactly the problem as described above, the fact that it imports the event once into WP and then attempts to update the one entry with the new dates coming down from future recurring events. So this is a massive disappointment.

I am now wondering, if I were to create all my events in Eventbrite and import them all, then return at a later date to add new events, would TEC then re-import all the previously imported events and create duplicates?

I really hope the recurring events feature is improved really soon. I now have to manually input 150 events 🙁

Graeme
    Participant

Just noticed as well that the dates showing in TEC from the events I pulled in from EB are not even correct :o/

Rob

Hey Graeme. Thanks for the notes here. You’re saying that you’ve set up a recurrence pattern; imported the first event; and found that same event entry updated again for each entry in the recurrence pattern? While I didn’t gather that was the problem being described above, if that is occurring…it shouldn’t be. What should happen is that each instance in your recurrence pattern on Eventbrite will be imported as a standalone entry on the WordPress side. But each should create a distinct entry. Let me know if you’re not seeing that and I will work to get it resolved.

Not sure what the issue with the dates not being correct is. I’m unable to recreate this on my end. Can you provide me with the Eventbrite event ID for one of the problematic events and I’ll try that way? If there’s an issue here we’ll obviously want to get it corrected.

Thanks again for the heads up and your patience so far. As this is still a fairly new plugin, we are quashing bugs as we see them and planning broader feature tweaks once we get all the rest of the smaller issues ironed out. With each monthly release we’re working to make this into a better product so that it has a long and illustrious lifecycle.

Let me know about the above and we’ll proceed accordingly on our end.

Matthew
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    I just wanted to find out if there was any progress on getting recurring events imported correctly into Eventbrite.
    To rehash what the issue is:
    – Recurring events by specific dates in Eventbrite import into WordPress as 1 event. The start date being the start of the first instance of the event – the end date being the end of the last event in the list. This makes for quite an ugly looking calendar – especially if the event is on early in the year and again in say November – it makes it look like the event runs all year!

I know this was an issue with the Eventbrite API – just wondering if there has been any progress on getting this issue resolved?

Leah

Hi Matthew,

Since the issue is a limitation of the Eventbrite API, we’re kinda waiting on them to make the necessary changes. Last time we checked, it’s was on the radar but not immediately planned. If and when it does change, we’ll definitely update the plugin to work with it.

Thanks,
    Leah

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Repeating Events Import’ is closed to new replies.