Removing a Sidebar from a Calendar Page

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Removing a Sidebar from a Calendar Page

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    carter
    Participant

On my “Calendar” page (http://cartertilman.com/rac-admin/events), I am trying to remove the sidebar.

On my “Settings” section under “The Events Calendar” I have my “No Sidebars” selected as my template under the “Templates” tab. Also, on my “Calendar” page I have the template of “No Sidebars” selected.

The “No Sidebars” template does create a page with no sidebars. Here is a page where I have that template in place: http://cartertilman.com/rac-admin/mentorship.

Thanks in advance for the help,
    Carter

Joyce Grace

Hello Carter,
    It sounds like you’ve created your own “No Sidebars” template, is that correct? Or did that come with your theme?

At any rate, you’ll want to check out our Themer’s Guide to the Events Calendar for more clues on customizing your theme. We don’t normally support customization but if you try something there and if it is really not working I can try to see if I can get someone to help you out. Here is the link: https://theeventscalendar.com/themers-guide-to-the-events-calendar/

Our technical documentation might also be handy for you: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/documentation

Hope this helps at least lead you in the right direction!

Joyce Grace

Oh Carter, I forgot to ask, did you try “Default Events Template” to see if that worked for you?

carter
    Participant

Joyce,
    I will read through those links that you posted.

When I switched it to the “Default Events Template” the “Calendar and Event” pages where totally stripped of the theme’s styling. I didn’t have a header, navigation, or footer just a blank page with a calendar or a post. I have a feeling the “Default Events Template” is not supposed to do that?

Carter

Joyce Grace

Hi Carter, did you try setting up your permalinks to something other than the default and other than the category permalinks?
    That might help bring back the menus – I’ve heard of this breaking on some people’s themes because of permalinks.

As for the header and footer being removed, this sounds like a theme issue. What theme are you using? Did you make modifications to it? There are a lot of themes out there that aren’t up to par with WordPress standards, but of course, on the other hand, sometimes our plugin doesn’t integrate well with certain themes. We try to be proactive in solving these issues with the most common theme frameworks out there. We have a tutorial on integrating our plugin with the Genesis theme framework. While it may not be exactly what you are using, you may be able to glean a lot from it, https://theeventscalendar.com/tutorial-integrating-the-events-calendar-w-genesis/

Hope this helps!

carter
    Participant

Joyce,
    I am currently running “WordPress 3.4,” and my template is “Thesis 1.8.5.” I just recently updated that template this week. I currently have, “/%category%/%postname%” set up as my custom permalink structure. Also the, “No Sidebars” template came with the theme.

I briefly read through your given links from earlier. But, I am not sure really what to make of them yet. Because ideally I would like to create a custom template for it, but I am not sure if it will read it when I set it up in the “Template” tab. Because right now it seems to only be reading the “Default Page” or the “Default Event” templates.

I am going to post what my “ecp-page-template.php” has written in it. Because based on what I read this is what the, “Default Event” template is using, correct? Can you tell me if anything in here looks incorrect?
    ` The Events Calendar -> Theme Settings -> Events Template,
    * then this file loads the page template for all ECP views except for the individual
    * event view. Generally, this setting should only be used if you want to manually
    * specify all the shell HTML of your ECP pages in this template file. Use one of the other Theme
    * Settings -> Events Template to automatically integrate views into your
    * theme.
    * You can customize this view by putting a replacement file of the same name (ecp-page-template.php) in the events/ directory of your theme.
    */

// Don’t load directly
    if ( !defined(‘ABSPATH’) ) { die(‘-1’); }

?>

vents_after_html() ?>
    `

I will read through that “Genesis” theme link that you posted on here.

carter
    Participant

Joyce,
    I tried to copy and paste that code in here, but it didn’t paste correctly. I am not sure of what the code pasting shortcode is on this forum, so I am sorry for it looking like a mess.

The Events Calendar -> Theme Settings -> Events Template,
    * then this file loads the page template for all ECP views except for the individual
    * event view. Generally, this setting should only be used if you want to manually
    * specify all the shell HTML of your ECP pages in this template file. Use one of the other Theme
    * Settings -> Events Template to automatically integrate views into your
    * theme.
    * You can customize this view by putting a replacement file of the same name (ecp-page-template.php) in the events/ directory of your theme.
    */

// Don't load directly
    if ( !defined('ABSPATH') ) { die('-1'); }

?>

vents_after_html() ?>

carter
    Participant

Guess I found the shortcode for posting code, but it still didn’t paste everything. I apologize for the amateur hour on posting here, but I am not sure of the best way to share the contents of this page with you in order to know if there is something wrong with the, “ecp-page-template.php” file I have in place? If you have any suggestions please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Carter

Joyce Grace

Hi Carter, supporting customization is really outside the scope of these forums, however if you can find a way to get us to view what you have done to the ecp-page-template.php file, I can see if one of our higher level support reps can take a look, but no guarantees. You are right though, there seems to be something strange happening with your templates.

Can you tell me if this happens to you when you use the Twenty Eleven theme?

Also, can you try to disable all plugins, then reactivate one by one to see if any them cause the problem?

Finally, can you try to re-save your permalinks to ‘postname’ in Settings > Permalinks?

Are you running the latest version of all our themes?

You’ll need to upgrade to the latest version of WordPress before I can get higher level support in here. You should create a backup if you’re not sure just in case, before upgrading.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Removing a Sidebar from a Calendar Page’ is closed to new replies.