Related Events based on Organizer?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Related Events based on Organizer?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Patti
    Participant

Is it possible to display related events on the single view based on organizer and not category?

I apologize if this has been asked before, I’ve searched on this, can’t seem to find any info.

Barry

Hi Patti,

There is certainly an avenue to doing something like this in the form of the tribe_related_posts_args filter.

This provides an opportunity to change the query arguments used to assemble a list of related posts before the query runs – so in this case you might want to amend or remove the taxonomy component of the query and add in a meta query, leveraging the _EventOrganizerID post meta field perhaps.

It’s a bit beyond the level of support we can offer to guide you through that one but the docs over on the WordPress Codex like I linked to above would be of great assistance for this kind of work if you aren’t familiar with it.

That apart, suggestions to improve or change the way related events are composed are certainly welcome and you can post ideas over on our UserVoice page, especially if you think they may be useful to others.

I hope that helps!

Patti
    Participant

So, the answer to my question is no, not within the confines of the the ECP plugin. The only way related events display is based on category and there is no way to change that. Correct?

Confirming in case somebody comes across this at a later date.

Barry

Hi!

No, that’s not quite correct – we’ve made it filterable so it can indeed be changed and customized to meet different needs, as described, without for instance needing to rebuild the logic entirely or even modifying core plugin code.

That said, it’s certainly true that there is no option in our settings at this time which would let you do this in a point-and-click type manner and you definitely would need some knowledge of WordPress development to use this approach.

Does that clarify things?

Patti
    Participant

Does that clarify things?
    Not really. It seems like you said it can be customized, but only if you are a WP development expert. Clearly I’m not if I’m posting here looking for help! 😉 Modifying core files gives me the heebie-jeebies especially when done on an active, live site.

Side note – related events was one of the things we were excited about using in this version and it is a little disappointing that it has become another feature we have to turn off.

Marking this as “resolved”, though I think a better term would be “closed”.

Barry

I do appreciate your view point and again would encourage you to post on UserVoice if you’d like to describe enhancements you are keen to see in this area 🙂

We can leave this closed – but to sum up: yes, you would need a working knowledge of WordPress development to make this sort of change.

While you may not have that knowledge I felt it best to share the name of the appropriate hook since that would potentially save time for any developer you might engage to do this work and indeed could be helpful for other users coming across this thread.

Modifying core files gives me the heebie-jeebies especially when done on an active, live site.

Absolutely – and rightly so. However I would like to clarify one more thing as your above note could be misleading to other users: we’ve made it possible to change the nature of the related posts query using filters, so you would not need to modify core files at all. I’d certainly agree though that making and testing out changes on a live site is generally not a great idea – working locally or on a remote test/staging site is preferable for sure.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and I’m sorry to hear the related events functionality isn’t quite working out for you, but we’re certainly open to considering any changes you might propose.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Related Events based on Organizer?’ is closed to new replies.