Recurring Events Vanishing. Bug?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring Events Vanishing. Bug?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Amber
    Participant

I’m working with ECP and recurring events. I’m noticing that after a recurring event has been created and you go back and make a change (i.e set a featured image and apply to all events/assign categories) recurring events in that chain start disappearing. If you delete the image and update all events, another recurring event from that chain will vanish.

The only way so far that I’ve seen to get these back are to edit the “Recurrence, End On” date after making all previous edits. Once that has been changed/re-changed all events updated the missing events come back.

Is this a bug that anyone else can reproduce? It’s making me have to be hyper vigilant when editing. >.<

Barry

Hi creativecollab,

I’m not sure I’ve heard of that particular issue previously, certainly not since the 3.0 release.

Can you try deactivating all other plugins and reverting to a default, unmodified theme such as Twenty Twelve and see if the problem persists? Please also ensure your Modern Tribe plugins are up to date.

Last but not least, it would be great if you could navigate to the Events → Settings → Help admin screen, scroll down and locate the System Information section – then copy that and paste it here in the forum (as a private reply, if you prefer).

Thanks!

Amber
    Participant

Hi Barry,

I’ve been playing with this to see if it’s an isolated incident however I can replicate the issue on a fresh install (test environment), running with no plugins, and Twenty Twelve. If you set a recurring event and then go back and edit, for example, the featured image and “update” all. Events start disappearing until I re-set the recurrence “will end on” date. Just as a bit of extra info, in both these cases, I’m using recurrence custom frequency weekly.

Here is the info from my test environment (since that was using a fresh install):

URL
    http://www.wpdevelopment.dev
    INSTALL KEYS

WORDPRESS VERSION
    PHP VERSION
    PLUGINS
    The Events Calendar PRO version 3.1 by Modern Tribe, Inc.(http://m.tri.be/20)
    The Events Calendar version 3.1 by Modern Tribe, Inc.(http://m.tri.be/1x)
    NETWORK PLUGINS

MU PLUGINS

THEME
    Twenty Twelve
    MULTISITE

SETTINGS
    recurring_events_are_hidden = exposed
    tribeEventsTemplate =
    tribeEventsBeforeHTML =
    tribeEventsAfterHTML =
    previous_ecp_versions =
    Array
    (
    [0] => 0
    )
    latest_ecp_version = 3.1
    welcome_notice = 1
    disable_metabox_custom_fields = hide

paulpetch
    Participant

I have this bug also. Very odd.

Barry

@paulpetch: please do monitor this thread – if the solution/problem turns out to be different though it would be appreciated if you could create a new thread of your own. Thanks!

@creativecollab
    : I just want to confirm that you’re not simply experiencing an expected side effect of editing chains of recurring events.

If you have a chain of 5 recurring events like so:

* November 5
    * November 12
    * November 19
    * November 26
    * December 3

And edit the November 26 instance to make a change – then apply that to All Future Events – the chain will be broken in two, so you end up with this chain:

* November 5
    * November 12
    * November 19

And a second but independent chain:

* November 26
    * December 3

Is it possible that this is what you are experiencing here?

Amber
    Participant

Hi Barry,

No, that’s not what is causing the issue. I’m being sure to edit only the first event in the chain so the events are not getting broken apart, they are literally disappearing.

Barry

Hi again creativecollab:

Quite puzzling – especially so since you are experiencing this in a ‘plain vanilla’ environment where your Modern Tribe plugins are up-to-date, no other plugins activated and a default, unmodified theme. However, I am unable to replicate this and as a confirmation check I requested a colleague try in a quite different environment from mine – she was unable to replicate this either.

So I have little doubt it is a real problem for you but, unfortunately, it is very hard to get a grip on when we can’t see the issue on our own systems.

Is there anything else you can tell me about your hosting environment? Could there be (object) caching in place that perhaps our system information didn’t report, or anything of that order? Do you have a local testing environment or a separate hosting account from a different service provider where you can also replicate this?

Thanks!

Amber
    Participant

Hi Barry,
    I have tried it on my own server (have dedicated via Singlehop) a shared server (JustHost), and local environment (using DesktopServer). All fresh installs all come back with the same issue. It is very weird; especially since it appears I’m not the only one with the issue as per paulpetch above.
    Did your collegue follow these exact steps to replicate the issue?

Create A New Recuring Even (do not assign a featured image or category)
    Assign 11-07-2013 as Start/End Date and 8am – 5pm as time.
    Set "Recurrence" to "Custom"
    Set "and will end" to "On" 12-13-2013
    Set "Frequency" to "weekly"
    Set "Every" to "1" Week(s)
    Tick "Friday" and Publish and there will be 7 recurring events
    Edit the first event in the chain, set a featured image, and update all events
    Go back to "Events" and count the events; there is now only 6 recurring events for that chain.

Thanks

Erin Rush
    Participant

I’m glad I found this thread. I had the same problem (made one change and events went missing) but it was fixed by changing the end date. Thanks. I’d like to know if there is a better solution/fix though!

Barry

Hi everyone. Unfortunately we can’t replicate, even with those very detailed steps you provided (creativecollab). However, a number of fixes and improvements have been made in the upcoming release with regards to recurring events generally.

What we’d recommend at this point is holding tight and making use of the mentioned workaround until the next release arrives. If the problem continues to persist with The Events Calendar/Events Calendar PRO 3.2 then let’s take this up again at that point.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Amber
    Participant

Hi Barry,
    Just wanted to do a quick follow up. After updating to 3.2 it appears *knockonwood* that this issue has resolved it self on my testing environments. So hopefully for the others that had the same problem 3.2 will smooth out whatever caused this hiccup.

Barry

Thank you very much for posting back with that update, creativecollab – much appreciated 🙂

Does this indeed fix things for everyone else here (with respect to this specific problem)?

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring Events Vanishing. Bug?’ is closed to new replies.