Recurring events on last full weekend in the month

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring events on last full weekend in the month

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JOHN S.
    Participant

I have four annually recurring events that happen on the last full weekend of a month. The events are multi-day, some starting Friday evening, others on Saturday.. If I select the last Saturday, the event is not correctly scheduled in some years when Saturday is the last day of the month. If I select the last Sunday then the event is schedule to start on Sunday which is wrong.

Is there any way to schedule such an recurring event.

Trisha

Hello, John!

Thank you for using The Events Calendar! I can help with this ?

When you say you have 4 events that occur one time each year or 1 event that occurs 4 times in a year?

The recurrence values we support can handle almost anything but I’m sure there are edge cases that would be challenging.

It might be helpful if you could share the dates with me and I’ll see if I can make it happen. I was able to fix one up recently that I didn’t think would work so I have hope!

Cheers,
    Trisha

JOHN S.
    Participant

WOW – what great support! Thank you.

I actually have 7 separate but similar events, each 48 hours long, which occur 1 time per year, all on the last FULL weekend of a month. All 7 events reoccur every year. If you can get one rescheduling correctly, then all will do so.

I have attached a spreadsheet showing the events, dates, and times.
    Thanks again for you help.

John

Trisha

Hello, John!

My pleasure, happy to help 🙂

Unfortunately, the spreadsheet didn’t make it through. You can send that to [email protected] with attn: Trisha in the subject line.

I’ll wait to hear from you!

Cheers,
    Trisha

JOHN S.
    Participant

Trisha, I resent the spreadsheet several days ago. Did you receive it? Is it readable?
    Thanks,
    John

Barry

Apologies for the delay, John — got the spreadsheet now!

So if I’m interpreting it correctly, there is just one event on the spreadsheet starting on a Saturday (“Event 6”). I tried to recreate this locally using the following rules:

• I created an event starting on Saturday 28 October 2017
    • I set it to end on Monday 30 October 2017 (multiday)
    • I set this to recur annually on the last Saturday of the same month
    • I also ensured my settings allowed generation of events upto 6 years in advance

I identified 2020 as a year where the last Saturday of October falls on the last day of the month, yet even here it seemed to be scheduled correctly (31 October 2020 ending 02 November 2020). On that level, it appears to be operating as expected.

Is there anything I’m doing here that would need to be tweaked to see the problem you described?

Thanks!

JOHN S.
    Participant

Barry – I made mistake in the list of events I set to you. All 7 events start on Friday night at either 5 PM or 8 PM, the duration of all the events is 48 hours (all multi-day), all repeat annually on the LAST FULL WEEKEND of the month. If Saturday is the last day of the month, then this event is held the previous weekend. It does not extend to the 1st day of the next month.

Thanks.

Barry

Thanks for confirming, John.

That being the case, I’m afraid the only viable approach would be to use multiple custom date rules, something like this:

• Initial event runs from Fri 27 Oct – Sun 29 Oct 2017
    • Recurs once on Fri 26 Oct 2018
    • Recurs once on Fri 25 Oct 2019
    • Recurs once on Fri 23 Oct 2020

Does that help? I’m afraid there is no ability to configure a single rule in quite the way you want, so something like I outlined here would be the only way I can think of.

JOHN S.
    Participant

Barry & Trisha – please take another look a this problem. As it stands now I have to edit each & every one of my full-weekend recurring events to see if one extends in to the next month. This is a major PITA.

Barry

Hi John,

I understand it’s a problem and I wish we could do something else — I can imagine those events take more time to setup than you wish to spend.

Unfortunately, as things currently stand, the particular pattern of events you are trying to create is not supported other than via the approach I outlined in my last reply. However, you could certainly propose that we support this in a future release by posting a feature request at the following URL:

https://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas

If we can determine that there is a widespread need for this sort of pattern then we’d certainly investigate adding it, however I am unable to offer you a short term fix and I would caution that it may simply be impractical for us to implement this.

Again, I do realize this is a source of frustration for you but the best I can suggest is what I already outlined (ie, using custom date rules).

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring events on last full weekend in the month’ is closed to new replies.