Recurring Events Not Always Showing (priority) at TOP of List of Events?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring Events Not Always Showing (priority) at TOP of List of Events?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joanna
    Participant

Hi,
    Has anyone found how to make the List view of Events not always show the recurring events at the top as the most recent?
    (The problem is that if an event is a week long, the same event will show at the top for a week straight.)
    Thanks!

Barry

Hi Joanna,

I’d love to help if I can. Just to clarify: do you mean the list of events that appears in the admin environment (ie, when you go to the Dashboard and then click on Events)?

Thanks!

Joanna
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your help. No, I mean the frontend view – what the public sees when events are shown in List view, not in Monthly view.

If an event is every day from June 1-15th, it automatically shows at the top for every single day of June 1-15th.

(It takes attention away from the other non recurring events)

Barry

Ahh, I see!

So you mean a multiday event – one spanning many days, rather than a true set of recurring events (where a chain is generated, with one event for each day of the period).

Can I ask what sort of behaviour you wish to see here? How would you like things to be ordered in such a situation?

Joanna
    Participant

I think what would be more ideal would be for the multi-day events (sorry I didn’t label it right) to be shown at or near the bottom of that day’s event in the list.

There are 2 benefits for users I think:
    1. They see different content for each day instead of always seeing the multi-day events over and over again first.
    2. The event organizers cannot hog the spotlight so easily and for so long.

Barry

OK – it’s probably possible as a customization. There are however quite a few factors to think through here, so I’d hate to give you a half baked solution (and, I should make clear, depending on the ultimate goal we may not be able to provide a snippet or solution for this one).

Assuming today’s date – let’s suppose list view looks like this:

June 2017
    ---------

Multiday Event A
    1 Jun - 20 Jun

Single Day Event A
    17 Jun

Single Day Event B
    29 Jun

Multiday Event B
    29 Jun - 5 Jul

July 2017
    ---------

Single Event C
    4 Jul

Is your plan to transform the order of events to the following?

June 2017
    ---------

Single Day Event A
    17 Jun

Single Day Event B
    29 Jun

Multiday Event A
    1 Jun - 20 Jun

Multiday Event B
    29 Jun - 5 Jul

July 2017
    ---------

Single Event C
    4 Jul

Or something else? I would also caution you that it’s worth thinking about how this might work if you have more than one page of event listings, as this sort of transformation isn’t necessarily easy to apply in a consistent way across them all (but we can certainly get creative on a page-by-page basis).

Joanna
    Participant

Yes, you’re right and I see your point! Multiday at the bottom of each page wouldn’t workout that easily. Thank you for your help!

Barry

Sorry I couldn’t do more.

There are certainly lots of possibilities, but the effort involved definitely depends on the desired end result.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring Events Not Always Showing (priority) at TOP of List of Events?’ is closed to new replies.