Recurring events have a redirect loop that causes problems with Facebook sharing

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring events have a redirect loop that causes problems with Facebook sharing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

Recurring event URLs have a redirect loop. This is most easily seen with the Facebook Open Graph Debugger. Here is a link to your wpshindig.com demo site that shows the error:

https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwpshindig.com%2Fevent%2Fmilwaukee-wordpress-wednesday-4%2F2013-10-02%2F

This is causing problems with proper sharing on Facebook, and obviously you should never have a circular redirect path like this in your URLs.

Barry

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the delay in responding first of all.

The tricky thing here is (though I can indeed see this on Shindig) we can’t actually replicate it ourselves in a stock installation. I see you are running our latest version – can you confirm if any of these recurring events were created prior to updating to that version?

Thanks!

Kevin
    Participant

All of the recurring events I created were with version 3.1, resulting in the circular redirect loop. (My site is seeing the exact same error that you are with wpshindig.

Barry

Hi Kevin: can you confirm what if any forms of caching are in use on your site right now?

Thanks!

Kevin
    Participant

I don’t use any caching plugins. WPEngine has their own internal caching system that applies to all of their sites. http://wpengine.com/our-infrastructure/

Barry

Indeed, and its possible object caching is at the root of this. Bear with us a little longer and we’ll get back to you. Thanks!

Kevin
    Participant

I’m pretty it is not object caching. I am able to turn off the object & transiet cache in WPEngine. When I do that, no changes. Still getting a circular redirect path on recurring events.

Barry

Though we can indeed see this on our own demo site the answer isn’t proving too easy to find – both your site and WP Shindig appear to be exceptions to normal operation – but, once again, do bear with us as we’re actively looking into this.

Kevin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Thanks Kevin – one of the team is just running through some further work in relation to this problem and we’ll update you as soon as we can.

Barry

Kevin: this does seem to be an issue with object caching and here is a snippet you can try (you could add it to your theme’s functions.php file, for instance) – we’ll also be including a substantive solution in our upcoming maintenance release.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this 🙂

Kevin
    Participant

Snippet doesn’t work for me. After implementing the snippet, the original URL gets 301’d to the URL for the first event in the series, then it looks like it gets 301’d to that wrong URL a second time.

Related to this issue is that whatever magic you are trying to do to create the recurring event instance leaves the get_permalink function returning the incorrect value. I use Yoast SEO to output opengraph tags, but if you track how that plugin works, it is ultimately using the get_permalink function from WP. Your plugin needs to return the correct permalink for get_permalink() on instances of recurring events.

Barry

Hi Kevin,

After implementing the snippet, the original URL gets 301′d to the URL for the first event in the series, then it looks like it gets 301′d to that wrong URL a second time.

When you say it gets redirected to the wrong URL a second time, can you be more specific? Is it essentially redirecting to the same URL but with a trailing slash, for instance, something like:

* base-event
    * base-event/2013-11-01
    * base-event/2013-11-01/

Or do you mean it is actually redirecting to a URL that returns a 404 or something of that order? It would be great to have a little more detail on this one.

I use Yoast SEO to output opengraph tags, but if you track how that plugin works, it is ultimately using the get_permalink function from WP.

The magic here is that all recurring events in a series share a post ID in common. Given a post ID, then, get_permalink() itself will not be able to distinguish between events in a series (and if get_post_permalink() is used – which would probably be preferable here – the event meta data will anyway not yet have been loaded and so no date is appended).

So this is something for us to look at, for sure, and I’ll make a note to do just that.

Kelly
    Participant

Hi, Kevin. As it’s been a couple of weeks since your last post, I’m going to close this thread. Please feel free to open a new one if you choose to pursue this further.

Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring events have a redirect loop that causes problems with Facebook sharing’ is closed to new replies.