Recurring events and Custom Event Attributes

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring events and Custom Event Attributes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brandon

First of all, thanks this plugin is great! Now down to business: I am having an issue with recurring events and their Custom Event Attributes. I have set up Custom Event Attributes and they work beautifully. My issue is if I select an event that is recurring and I change the custom event attribute it changes that attribute for all (of the same) recurring events. Is there a way to make a custom event attribute unique to each recurring event?

Barry

Hi Brandon, glad you like the plugin! Can you just confirm first of all what you are referring to when you use the term custom event attributes?

Thanks!

Brandon

https://theeventscalendar.com/pro-adding-custom-events-attributes/
    The Custom Event Attributes as discussed on the above link

Barry

Ah, ok. I forgot they were referred to as custom event attributes in that article. The short answer to your question is no.

Behind the scenes, at least with the 2.x releases, a recurring event is simply a normal event with a number of additional start dates dates pegged on – separate custom post types are not created per recurring instance and therefore the additional fields, along with all the other data (except for the start dates), is common to each event in the chain.

It would definitely be possible to devise a system – perhaps based on custom fields (in the regular WordPress sense) – to facilitate what you are after, but unfortunately it isn’t supported “out of the box”.

Brandon

Oh man that’s unfortunate. I tried with the regular WordPress custom fields and it worked the same as the ECP custom event attributes. Curious how you might devise a system. I was really excited about the recurring events but this kind of throws a wrench in my production. Thank you so much for your time thus far.

Barry

This is back-of-an-envelope stuff, but the sort of approach I was envisioning was a naming convention for custom field keys such as:

_EventAttr_yyyy-mm-dd

Where yyyy-mm-dd is the start date for the relevant recurring instance and EventAttr is something meaningful in relation to the data you are storing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring events and Custom Event Attributes’ is closed to new replies.