Recurring Event – Only Show One Week Ahead

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring Event – Only Show One Week Ahead

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daniel
    Participant

Hi there.

I have created a recurring event, but the lowest option for displaying recurring events is one month. Is there any way to only show one week ahead? One month is too long, and too many events are showing.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for getting in touch with us! Let me help you with this topic.

If you refer to the setting that limits the number of instances to generate for never-ending/long-term recurring events, then you are right, the lowest option is 1 month.

However, you can limit the number of instances to generate by changing the series ends field on each recurring event you create.

Does it help achieve what you are looking for? Let me know if you have other questions.

Best,
    Victor

Daniel
    Participant

This doesn’t help, because this is a church service. The church service never ends. I just don’t want to have to show four church services when people are looking through the list of events, I only want to show one.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

Do you want to only show the next upcoming instance for a recurring event? If so, then unfortunately this is not a built in option.

You could create some custom coding that will fetch the next upcoming instance for a recurring event. I have found the following thread where Brook shared a function that will be of help if you were to go that way > https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/get-next-future-event-in-a-recurring-series-from-any-passed-instance-view/#dl_post-1147560

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best,
    Victor

Daniel
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be easier to create code that says if the recurring event option is divisible by .25, then only show that many events ahead? So .75, .5, .25.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

That is an interesting approach. At the moment you can only use integers for the number of month in the settings.

However, you could use the ‘tribe_events_pro_clean_up_old_recurring_events_sql’ and ‘tribe_events_pro_clean_up_old_recurring_events_sql_args’ filters to manipulate the recurring event cleanup query.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best,
    Victor

Daniel
    Participant

It looks to me like that function is for cleaning up old events, but I am trying to change how many recurring events show up? Are you sure I would mess with that function? Plus, I would have to change the submission form to allow for doubles. Correct?

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

I’m sorry if that was confusing. Let me clear that out.

The filters I mentioned are to manipulate the clean up old recurring events query, which uses the number of months in the settings you first mentioned > https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/pro-recurring-events/#longterm

It does affect how many old instances for a recurring event show up, because it deletes the old instances. But I now realize that won’t help much if you are looking to limit the number of instances in the future.

I would have to change the submission form to allow for doubles. Correct?

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Can you give me an example of why you would have to do that?

If you want to show only the first upcoming instance for a recurring event, you can try enabling this setting > https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/pro-recurring-events/#display that allows you to hide from list-style views all but the first upcoming event in each sequence. This applies to all recurring events. Does it work for your particular case? Let me know.

Best,
    Victor

Daniel
    Participant

Ah, I meant doubles as in Java, like a decimal value.

Concerning that button, I believe that works! It will update to the next recurring instance after the next recurring event has passed correct?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Daniel.
    Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for clearing that out. I was thinking of overwriting that setting from the backend with some custom coding, so you would not need to change the submission form. But yes, you would have to consider decimal input somehow if you were to use that setting.

And you are correct about the next recurring event. Just tested out and it will show up until the event passes.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions for this.

Best,
    Victor

Daniel
    Participant

Thanks!

Victor
    Keymaster

You are welcome Daniel.

As you marked this thread resolved I’ll go ahead and close it, but feel free to open a new one if anything comes up and we’d be happy to help.

Good luck with your project,
    Victor

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring Event – Only Show One Week Ahead’ is closed to new replies.