Recurrent events exceptions

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurrent events exceptions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi!

I’m running the events calendar on a website for an organisation with a lot of regular events (9-10 regular events every week). The thing is that they are not on during holidays etc. I was thus wondering if you could add an exception choice. Let’s say there’s a regular event going every monday from january to june, but with the exception of week 10 and week 16.

The above would be the best, but if not I’d like some sort of highlighting of the first event of a recurring cycle. This is because that sometimes I have to edit something on an event (be it place or description etc), but right now I have to use a lot of time to actually find the first one in each cycle which isn’t always easy when you have a lot of the same events with the same names.

I hope you understand what I’m trying to explain.

Best regards,
    Torbjørn

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Torbjørn,

That makes a lot of sense. You can delete single recurrences of events by going into WP Admin, click on one, and clicking Move to Trash. For recurring events that happen on a holiday, this would be the easiest way to get rid of them.

This could also be done automatically if you are willing to code some logic. I think the best way to do it would be by hooking into WordPress’ pre_get_posts filter. For queries that include the events post_type (TribeEvents::POSTTYPE) you would be able to add an additional where, that does not select events from custom time ranges like holidays. This might not be a super easy task, but if you are familiar with the WP API and post meta I think it could be done in under a couple of hours.

If you wish to find the first event in a series there are two pretty quick ways of doing it. If you are looking on the front end, click on any of the events in the series, then click “See All”. The top event be the first one. From the backend WP Admin > Edit Events page I would add the Recurring filter to hide any non recurring events. Then click the Start date column. This will show you the earliest events first, and should make it fairly easy to find the first event in a series. If you have lots of events with the same name this could complicate finding stuff from the backend a bit, just due to how WordPress works. If that is the case, then you might try using the search function, or finding the event on the front end first and clicking edit in the admin bar.

Hi!

Thanks for your answer, this was more of a suggestion than anything else (I’m already using the method you explained above. The one that didn’t include coding that is..). I realize now I should have posted it in a different place. Sorry for the inconvenience, I’ll post this under suggestions instead.

Best regards,
    Torbjørn

Brook
    Participant

You are welcome. Our uservoice page is definitely the best place for feature suggestions. Even still we enjoy feedback on the forums as well, it’s just harder to keep track of and gauge how many desire it. So please either vote on the suggestion linked above, or if you have a different take on how best to accomplish this please post a new idea to that site.

Just so you know we are very committed to improving recurring events, and there are ongoing meetings and discussions specifically about how we can do that in upcoming releases.

Thanks for the feedback!
    – Brook

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurrent events exceptions’ is closed to new replies.