Recurrence illogicality

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurrence illogicality

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Barbara
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m currently busy entering the new events and activities for our next season, however I’m running into the following problem:
    * We have specific lessons that occur 4 Tuesdays in a row, at 2 times during that day, namely 10:30-12:00 and 19:30-21:00
    * I have tried every way imaginable to enter this recurrence correctly, but to no avail
    * The issue is that, when choosing the ‘custom’ recurrence pattern, when I select the same day as the initial event I’m creating (which was for Tuesday 10:30-12:00), the recurrence pattern created starts at the NEXT Tuesday instead of on the SAME Tuesday.
    * This causes only the last 3 weeks of the 4-week course to show the correct 2 events both in the morning and in the evening. The first Tuesday only shows 1 event, in the morning but not the one from the evening
    * Even when selecting ‘End afer 4 occurences’, it only creates 3 in the evening, so it’s not like the recurrence really starts the next week and goes on for FOUR weeks, it ends at the same date the initial event for the morning ends at.

My workaround, all-be-it very rudimentary, is the following:
    – I start the initial event a week early, so I have 5 weeks of events instead of 4, but now the ‘wrong’ week only contains the 1 event instead of the expected 2
    – To recap, there are now 9 events for 5 weeks, where there should eventually be 8 events for four weeks
    – Tried to put the first day of the series (in the ‘first’ week) in the trash bin, but then it removed the entire series, so:
    – I broke the first day of the series off from the rest, then I was able to remove it without removing the rest of the series
    – Fix the messed up permalinks due to the series-breakoff

It works for now, but I’d expect an event to show up on the same day if I choose the same day in the custom recurrence pattern. I hope this helps to further improve the plugin 🙂

George
    Participant

Hey Hans,

Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to bear this news, but at this time there is a core limitation in our plugins that is making this harder on you than need be.

It all comes down to what you describe here:

We have specific lessons that occur 4 Tuesdays in a row, at 2 times during that day, namely 10:30-12:00 and 19:30-21:00

The “2 times during that day” is the tricky part. Our current version of recurrence system does not allow for recurrences within the same day.

It is just not technically possible at this time.

We are working on improvements in this, but they are a bit more challenging to get right than it may seem. To be frank, improvements with same-day recurrences will likely not arrive in our plugins for at least another major release or two. 🙁

I’m sorry to disappoint, but hope this helps you move forward. We are working on this, but for the foreseeable future, some clever workarounds like the one you describe will likely be required for the desired affect. I would personally recommend creating two separate events and recurring them. So, one event is the 10:30-12:00 one, which recurs every Tuesday. Then the 19:30-21:00 event is another event altogether, itself recurring every Tuesday.

Let me know what you think, and if there is anything else I can try to help with.

Sincerely,
    George

Barbara
    Participant

Hi George,

I’m quite surprised that you say that it’s not supported. I have inquired about it before and then it wasn’t mentioned. Actually, it seems to work fine after my workaround, as you can see here: http://triggr.nu/agenda/haken-beginners/2016-09-06/

In the Details-part, it clearly shows ‘Times’ and it shows the two times that this event is being arranged on that day!

Best regards,
    Hans

George
    Participant

I’m glad you’ve found a workaround for now, @Hans!

Cheers,
    George

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurrence illogicality’ is closed to new replies.