Question re upgrade to version 4.5

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Question re upgrade to version 4.5

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Abigail Marshall
    Participant

I am confused about this sentence the email notification about the soon-to-be-released version 4.5

” changes introduced with Community Events 4.5 may break backwards compatibility for customizations made outside of template overrides.”

I do have several template overrides, using a child theme– but I don’t know what “outside of” means. But no other customizations.

I can see from the release candidate download that there have been major changes to the templates – so it will probably be a lot of work to make similar customizations to the new templates.

If I upgrade without changing my custom templates, will the system still work? (My interpretation of “outside of”).

Or am I mistaken, and do I need to delay the upgrades while I work on customizing the new template versions?

Shelby
    Participant

Hi Abigail,

I’m happy to answer your questions here! 🙂

So, if you upgrade and you’ve made your changes via template overrides, you should be good to go. 🙂 You may have a few changes to make, but on the whole, nothing will be erased, it just should need some tweaks.

However, it’s always advisable to backup your site in case you do need to roll back a bit.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification!

Best,

Shelby 🙂

Abigail Marshall
    Participant

Unfortunately, this turned out not to be the case — I have a child theme with custom templates for edit-event.php and for modules/taxonomy.php — and the taxonomy (“categories”) section of the edit page broke on upgrade. (came up blank). (The only changes I had made was to add html formatted text, before or after the template calls — for user instructions, no changes to the calls themselves.)

Also, I’d note that there appears to be a significant change between the release taxonomy.php and the pre-release version I had downloaded the previous day.

I have resolved my own problems simply by editing the newer files with my customizations — but I thought you might want to know in case others have similar questions. I am going to post the error message I received privately.

Abigail Marshall
    Participant

This reply is private.

Shelby
    Participant

Hi Abigail,

Apologies for the delay!

This one looks to have slipped under the radar because it was marked resolved.

Do you still need assistance with this?

Cheers,

Shelby 🙂

Abigail Marshall
    Participant

No, I don’t need help, I just wanted to report this to you so you would be aware that your previous answer (“So, if you upgrade and you’ve made your changes via template overrides, you should be good to go.”) was incorrect. The template overrides did not work with the upgrade, and needed to be rewritten to conform to new changes.

Shelby
    Participant

Thanks for letting us know Abigail! 🙂

Best of luck with your project!

Shelby

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Question re upgrade to version 4.5’ is closed to new replies.