query slowing down site to 700%, Dyn. caching not making it better

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO query slowing down site to 700%, Dyn. caching not making it better

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Helleman Helleman
    Participant

Hello Barry,
    I hope you can help us with this:

Your plugin makes our site extremely slow, both in backend and frontend.
    A query coming from your plugin is causing this. It takes more than 6 seconds(!) hosted on a premium WP hoster.
    So I see regularly connection breaks from the MYSQL server which is understandable.
    Now we did some research on the forum and I see a few things:

– a code snippet action hook:tribe_allow_large_joins, I see no difference
    – Your replies saying that too many events in small period is not a good thing. We have 136 events. On the homepage are about 10 events listed in
    a widget about 2 a week. Also event single page itself is just as slow, listing more events.
    – Varnish or memcaching should speed things up I read. We have both, caching is both static and dynamic including memcache, but the effect is
    neglectable. Maybe because number of queries is not the issue here.

To give you an idea of slowness: 7 ( up to 25) seconds load time with PRO enabled on a server that handles heavy sites normally really well.
    1-2 seconds without PRO. All slowness comes from this plugin so it seems.
    Recources usage went up way to quick when trying, so even 7 seconds is not a way to run the site. Far more then heavy plugins like WPML do with lots of queries that run fine on same server conditions.

So pretty much unusable this way.
    What is causing this? Did we configure anything wrong? How can we fix this? Reinstalling the plugin doesn’t fix it.I don’t see any stuff in the
    logger when debug is on, just saying your plugin is initialising each time, no error reporst as far as I can see.
    Slowness also exists with other plugins disabled, only woocommerce was enabled. Also happens on Twenty Twelve theme.
    If you need access to a staging site that has this issue as an example I could give you details. If you want a Screenr showing you what the

plugin effect is on speed, let me know.

Regards, J

See slow query info here:
    also posted the issue here,the last comment:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/extremely-slow-query/#post-134266.

Slow Database Queries (above 0,05s)

Query Caller Time
    SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS DISTINCT wp_posts.*, wp_postmeta.meta_value as EventStartDate, tribe_event_end_date.meta_value as EventEndDate
    FROM wp_posts
    INNER JOIN wp_postmeta
    ON (wp_posts.ID = wp_postmeta.post_id) LEFT JOIN wp_postmeta as tribe_event_end_date
    ON ( wp_posts.ID = tribe_event_end_date.post_id
    AND tribe_event_end_date.meta_key = ‘_EventEndDate’ )
    WHERE 1=1
    AND wp_posts.post_type = ‘tribe_events’
    AND (wp_posts.post_status = ‘publish’
    OR wp_posts.post_status = ‘private’)
    AND (wp_postmeta.meta_key = ‘_EventStartDate’ )
    AND (wp_postmeta.meta_value >= ’2014-04-17 00:25:10′
    OR (wp_postmeta.meta_value <= ’2014-04-17 00:25:10′
    AND tribe_event_end_date.meta_value >= ’2014-04-17 00:25:10′ ))
    ORDER BY DATE(wp_postmeta.meta_value) ASC, TIME(wp_postmeta.meta_value) ASC
    LIMIT 0, 7 WP_Query->get_posts+ 6,2

Helleman Helleman
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hi – I’m sorry, first of all, that you’re experiencing difficulties here.

a code snippet action hook:tribe_allow_large_joins, I see no difference

This won’t improve performance, it’s simply a workaround to some limits often set by default in shared hosting environments, for instance.

It takes more than 6 seconds(!) hosted on a premium WP hoster.

We are currently interested in gathering in more information about the hosting platforms where these issues spring up – since we do know that there are also busy sites with lots of events running without any hitches whatsoever. With that in mind, can you tell me who your premium WP hoster is?

We have 136 events. On the homepage are about 10 events listed in a widget about 2 a week.

I’m surprised this would cause the sort of difficulties you are describing – but of course it’s hard to build up a complete picture without knowing what else is running on your server, traffic levels, what’s being delivered per request, etc. Clearly things aren’t ideal for you here, and we are striving to make improvements with each release, but if you could update any further details (at least with a note of who the hosting provider is) that would be great 🙂

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread (and so it will no longer be monitored by staff). If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘query slowing down site to 700%, Dyn. caching not making it better’ is closed to new replies.