protect anonymous submissions with captcha

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events protect anonymous submissions with captcha

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

I love the ability of Community Events to allow unregistered posting of events. I want to protect the ‘add’ form with some form of captcha. I saw mention of this in a reply to a post that was closed. It looks like the code of the page would have to be modified – can anyone help with this? Ideally I’d want the simplest code rewrite and the simplest captcha.
    My prototype pages are at http://www.b3c.co.uk/calendar

Casey
    Participant

Mike,
    Thanks for reaching out! I’m passing this request onto our developers to see if something like this is currently possible. Stay tuned!

Casey
    Participant

Mike,
    We are currently considering adding this ability into a future release, but we definitely can’t make any promises on when something like this will be released. With that being said, this functionality isn’t available “out of the box” in the current version of Community. I’m not sure how proficient you are with WordPress/PHP development, but this would currently require some custom coding on your part to implement.

Here’s what our developer had to say:

“The user should be able to hook into the ‘tribe_ce_event_submission_form_before_post_submit_button’ hook in order to place the captcha field on the form. From there, he/she should hook into ‘tribe_ce_before_event_submission_page’ in order to process the submission and make sure the captcha was correct, as that action hook is executed before any events are saved. In order for it to most elegantly deal with it to stop the event from saving, he might want to unset the $_POST[‘naes’] variable (‘not an evil spammer’ checkbox on the form) so that it then stops from saving the event (as there isn’t really another great way to stop the process that I see offhand).”

Hopefully this will help to shed a little light on how to implement this custom functionality. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Mike
    Participant

Thanks Casey – I’m pretty basic with php so I wondered if there was a capcha that allowed us to protect access to a link so that any user who wanted to post woulds only gain access to the posting page via a link rather than a menu item. So >>CLICK HERE to post your event<< would bring up a captcha and the success even would yield the posting form.
    Thanks

Casey
    Participant

Mike,
    Unfortunately this functionality is not currently available without some custom development, but we hope to have it in a future release soon. Thanks!

Mike
    Participant

THanks – I’ll watch with interest and if I come up with a workaround I’ll let you know.
    Mike

Casey
    Participant

Happy to help. I’m going to go ahead and close out this thread, but feel free to start a new one if you have further issues. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘protect anonymous submissions with captcha’ is closed to new replies.